Its coming down to decision time...depth question about M6/MXT and pros/cons!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
It's coming down to decision time...depth question about M6/MXT and pros/cons!

Alright,
I have narrowed my decision to White's M6 and White's MXT. I don't need the prospecting mode, and I am assuming it is just as easy to find relics with a coin and jewelry machine as it is with a C&J and relic machine, and I REALLY like the 7 tone ID of the White's M6. So, here's my question. Does the M6 get the same depth as the MXT? It would make sense for it to be comparable, because I have read the Manuel's for both over the last two days, and they seem to be VERY similar in respect to the coin and jewelry mode. I primarily coin/jewelry shoot, but I love to find relics as well. I am in the Midwest, and soil is usually not a major concern, but large rusting iron objects, trashy areas are. I already know about the alternate coils, so we don't need to discuss those.
Also, I have compiled a short list of pros and cons for the two machines. for the M6 I have...

PROS:
dedicated coin and jewelry machine, but can find relics
reputable company
VDI #s
multiple coils
ease of use
probability bars (100%, 50%, 25%) similar to MXT
3 types of target ID
large display
7 TONE ID!!!
easy to pinpoint/all metal
light weight
Auto/Lock/Salt Ground trac
40 hours of batt life
good warranty
mid range detector, hopefully giving me an inch more that my old bounty hunter
found it for less than $620 with a lot of accessories!

CONS:
"S" rod design
no relic mode
comes with 950 noise maker (small joke, but not the best coil)
sensitivity is on right side (I'm right handed and this blocks view of sensitivity)
chord runs parallel with handle, potentially causing conflicts with hand
not "top of the line" ( but I think mid-range is fine)
don't know the depth
may "outgrow"

For the MXT I have...

PROS:
"top of the line"
DEEP (from reviews)
has relic mode
separate handle (not "S" rod configuration)
reputable company
VDI #s
multiple coils
probability bars (100%, 50%, 25%)
3 types of target ID
easy to pinpoint/all metal
Auto/Lock/Salt Ground trac
40 hours of batt life
good warranty
found for less than $720 with accessories
more controlability
won't "outgrow"
more personal testimony available for review w/ a lot of great reviews!
performs better in extreme soil conditions

CONS:
costs more
I am not a prospector, and have no desire to begin
has reputation as a "prospecting machine that can also find coins/relics"
slightly larger learning curve
has a reputation for being "noisy"
heavier

Anyway, I have to get to bed soon, I just wanted your help! So, If you've own/owned either, have used one, or have done research on either, I would LOVE your opinion and maybe some additional pros/cons that you may have.
Remember, I have not tried either, and I am not insulting either in the "cons" section. I want both, but can only afford one for now. Again, I really appreciate your opinions on the matter!!!

~Tom

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: It's coming down to decision time...depth question about M6/MXT and pros/con

I have an MXT and I love it. Haven't had a chance to play with an M6, but those that have them seem to really like them as well. 2 things I like about the MXT over the M6 - 1. audible threshold - sometimes just the slightest rise in the threshold hum will indicate a deep or small target that you might otherwise miss. Too, the threshold hum nulls out when the coil is passed over a target that is discriminated out. Therefore you know that you have just swung over metal even though it's not a preferred target. If desired you can turn down the discrimination and double check as you do know that metal is there. 2. The prospecting mode which you say you aren't interested in is also useful for extreme sensitivity for other targets other than prospecting. Too, you never know when you might just have the opportunity to do a little nugget shooting. This mode does add to the overall versatility even if you only use it occasionally. My two bits.
HH
Bill

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Re: It's coming down to decision time...depth question about M6/MXT and pros/cons!

i havent used either but 4 tones is more than enough for coin hunting, when relic hunting i like the 2 tone option, does the mxt have this, or can you run disc and all metal together like the xlt and qxts

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Re: It's coming down to decision time...depth question about M6/MXT and pros/con

Hi Tom. Looks like you've done your homework! :icon_study:
I have owned the M6 for a couple of months now. I can't compare depth on the MXT, 'cause I never used one.
I have heard that the MXT is powerful, though. I would suggest that you go with the MXT. It only costs a little more than the M6. You have more control with the MXT, as it has 3 knobs, not 2 as on the M6. Also, the MXT has a dedicated coin and jewerly mode-The M6 does not. The MXT has notch discrimination, the M6 does not. The MXT has a poptop blanker, the M6 does not. The MXT is a converted gold machine, the M6 is not. The MXT 300 comes with the Super 12 coil, the M6 does not.
About the only two things the M6 has going for it is quiet operation, and the seven multitone ID.
But-for the M6 to run quietly, you have to turn down the sensitivity (gain), or it will be just as noisy as the MXT.
As for the seven tone ID, seven tones are way too many tones. Five tones would of been plenty of tones. Seven tones just makes for LOTS of confusion and noise. I've been searching for jewelry with my M6, with only one small find so far, a pure silver womans high heel shoe, about 1 inch in size. (I hope this is a "sign"! ;D )I wish I has gotten the MXT now. I forgot to mention, the MXT has an excellent users book published, the M6 does not.
I'm starting to like the seven tones now, a little. I run in seven tones now-I didn't when I started out. Not that I know which tone is which, or what tone means what, but the seven tones does seem to help a little. I would still go with the MXT if I were you. The depth on the MXT shouldn't be less than the M6, I would think. And you can make the MXT run quieter if you want to. Note: The MXT and the M6 share the same coils. Just my two cents worth, don't mean to disparage the M6. HH

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's coming down to decision time...depth question about M6/MXT and pros/cons!

Right now I own an MXT and really like . Never even seen an M6. If soil isn't a major concern, you can really crank up the gain on the MXT and find some deep stuff. A few days ago I was hunting a very clean place that allowed me to turn my Disc' almost to +2. I found no coins but I did dig up several items all at 9"-12". I was using the relic mode as I like the tone it gives you. A kind of grunt for iron and a high pitch for coins. I'm sure either machine will fill your needs. As luvsdux said, you never know when you might get a chance to shoot nuggets. Good luck in making a choice.

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005

Hi Tom,

Been using an M6 over 18 months now and love it for hunting trashy sites due to the 7 tone ID and small coils.The deepest coin i've found with the M6 is a wheat penny at 7" using the 6"x10" dd but the excellent target separation and digging the tone variance using small coils has produced some nice finds at trashy sites.
If your going to hunt sites with little trash the MXT would be my first choice between the two but if tone ID appeals to you as it does me the M6 is excellent.

Here's a few finds i made with an M6 using small coils at trashy sites if the pic shows up ?
HH Bill

Attachments

• M6 finds coins and jewelry 001.jpg
    M6 finds coins and jewelry 001.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 176
OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)

Thanks a lot folks!!! Keep the comments coming!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the input. I am still having a very difficult time deciding between the two, but I am leaning toward the MXT...KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING!!!

~TOM

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

Tom, before I bought my DFX, I did a lot of looking and talking to people that used either the MXT or the M6.
From what I found out, the MXT, since it's considered a gold machine, is very sensitive to soil conditions and outside interference, i.e. power lines, the M6 I've found seems to be a stable machine.
I did not base my purchase on tone ID, if I get a good solid signal, I pinpoint to get relative size and then I dig, my DFX has the capability of 191 tones, talk about nuts, as far as digging a signal, I would use your prior knowledge. VDI #'s are helpful to a point, you still have to learn what #'s cover what material, I personally love the icons on the XLT and the DFX, I do use a prizm 5 as my backup
which ever machine you decide on you will be able to see a definite difference JMO

Sniffer

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

remember its nice to have that extra sensitivity , you can always turn it down, and you get use to the noise, the f-75 and t-2 are also noise, but you are actually hearing what in the ground

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

Tom, I am a die-hard MXT owner. I use either the 6 x 9 Double-D coil, and BigFoot coil for my detecting whether it be coins, jewelry, relics or gold. I understand your not into gold mode, but there could be an opportunity for it some day so why not go a head and get the extra option now and it is free (no need to purchase another detector down the road if the bug gets you).
One thing I would suggest you visit White's web site (http://hobby.us.whiteselectronics.com/?gclid=CO3EwN2njY4CFRGCGgodAiKpDw) and look at the videos posted on both machines.

Would be glad to answer any other questions you might have on the MXT, but I feel other MXT users have answered the majority of your questions.

Good luck and let us know which on you chose.
49er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread