detecting in parks??

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You mean for city or for state parks in RI? As for city parks, turn your question around the other way: Is there a reason why you would think it's NOT allowed there?

Most cities don't have anything that addresses the subject (aside from obvious "don't disturb the vegetation" stuff that some might morph to apply, if you were leaving a mess). If it is silent on the issue, then I believe there is no reason why you need to research further. Just don't stick out, leave holes, etc... It's kind of like picking your nose: As long as you're discreet, no one pays attention to you :icon_scratch:

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
I hunt Public Parks all of the time as they are open to everyone. Again, make sure you fill in your holes and don't leave a mess. As far as the State Parks. Here in MASS we have a Department of Parks and Conservation, they DO NOT like metal detectors at all. Even if you can find some historical items they would rather let it stay in the ground. However, if you see others metal detecting in a State Park then ask them if they needed permission and if not find your own space to hunt. As far as pinpointing, it will come with practice. I use the famous +, North-South, East-West routine and that works for me.
Happy Hunting and Welcome to the hobby.
Roy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you're discreet, no one pays attention to you

Be as neat as you can with retreiving targets. What detector are you using and maybe someone can help you with the pinpointing. They all do it a little differently.

good luck,
Sandman

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pinpointing skills were probably what yours now are. However, weeks of working parks have made a complete turnaround on my pinpointing abilities. Don't worry, if you try you will get the hang of it. Maybe it's the wrong approach but, I never ask for permission to hunt city parks. I just go in and start detecting unless I'm told it's not allowed. Also, I never cut out flaps or go after coins deeper than the length of my 4" probe. If I can feel the coin with my probe I'll try to pop it out . I do miss a lot of deeper targets but, that's just how I do it.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
DOn;t mean to rain on everybodys parade, but its best to check with whatever level of gubbermint has jurisdiction on the parks / schoolyards you want to detect. Many small towns / cities have no restrictions, but many do.

For example - in my neck of the woods: Brown County - permit required to detect county lands. Green Bay - permit required to detect city lands. Little Suamico (pop. about 1200) detecting town lands is prohibited. Oconto county - specific permission required from the board of supervisors to detect county land (and according to the county clerk, they have NEVER granted permission !) Marinette county - permit required ($5.00 / year), and so on............

Start with the city / village / town / county clerks office. If they can't tell you, ask the PD that has jurisdiction (and if they say no, ask 'em to send you a copy of the ordinance that regulates it just in case they're talking out their !@#$%^&) ;D

It's cheaper to ask and / or get a permit than a fine.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Diggem'

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Diggem, I never ask to hunt any public park or school, as long as it's not posted, or an obvious historic monument, etc... And no, I have never faced a "fine". A "scram" now and then is it. (And that's usually because they perceive you're going to leave a mess, not anything to do with permits, restrictions on md'ing, etc..., so you just lay low and avoid that one person or park)

If someone gets skittish by reading your take on this, then I suggest they not go asking clerks at any office, or police, etc.... Instead, if they are skittish, they should go straight to the rule books themselves. They can usually be found on city websites, or in book at city hall, etc... If there is nothing addressing metal detectors (prohibitions, etc...) then consider it silent on the issue. No need to ask or research any further.

The reason I do not suggest asking live persons "can I metal detect at such & such park?", is that they can simply say "no", JUST because they feel like it. There may be no actual rule to back it up, but just think you're a geek with a shovel who'll leave a mess, so they give the safe answer. And if you object and say "where is that written?" you'll certainly loose the battle because: In the eyes of the law, the enforcers are given "latitude" to interpret things, to fit situations as they may arise. Or if you make a big enough stink about their "no", they may just put it in print to address your "pressing question" later on :P Often times, no one cares, UNTIL you ask.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being professional on how you look and recover targets is a big plus. Check with your parks department to make sure its alowed and if there is a permit. Some parks where it is alowed may only be in certin areas and not in the turf. A $250 fine will ruin your day. Cutting a nice flap plug and useing a drop cloth + hand digger is a plus, breaking out a pick axe and relic shovel is a no no. Also i avoid the diggers and look like large knives.

One of my biggest gripes about this hobbie is that most videos and magazines out there only go into and seem to support exotic relic hunting. When in fact a big part of the people who detect are park beach hunters who may only go out once and a while. I realy need to write a book or make a video on urban hunting.

madmacabre

Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
hey pookie , here in Rhode Island the park rangers will bust your balls and ask you to leave , But I wouldnt care , Just go at some time where there wont be anyone around.

Or you dont have to bother , i dont like compitition.
;D :icon_pirat:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I have never been turned down in municipalities that don't have regulations on the books. I have to believe that if you were questioned about MD-ing it would only help to be able to say "I spoke to so-and-so, and they gave me the go-ahead". Plus, I feel better digging when I KNOW it's OK.

Around these parts it seems like the law enforcement types would rather write you up for whatever they think they can and then let you sort it out with the judge.

Diggem'

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well diggum, if you have "never been turned down" (as if you needed to ask, to begin with), then I suppose you're batting 100%. Great! I'd just be afraid of a "no", where no one would previously have really cared less or noticed (until I asked). I have seen that happen, several times in fact: A park where md'rs go unbothered. Then one day, someone feels the need to "ask", and is told by some bureaucrat across town "no" :icon_scratch: THAT is what I'd be afraid of, and I've seen it happen.

So again, if someone is skittish, hit the books on your own. Then there's a happy compromise: You wouldn't exactly be able to say "I checked with so & so, and they said yes", but you would still say "I checked all the written codes, and there was nothing to prohibit this". That would be a fair compromise between these 2 opinions, eh?

EZ-rider, where do you come up with this "$250 fine"? Can you cite such an example? I suppose there is probably a few very EXTREME exceptions that someone can cite, but I would say those are extremes and not to be taken as norms. I mean, sure, now and then a motorist is roughed up and thrown in jail for a tail-light infraction. Should we be afraid to drive? The trouble with the modern age of the internet, is it only takes one of these exception stories to get published, and WHAM, newbies run cowering to public officials thinking they need permission and such. I can probably publish exceptional stories of persons "fined" for throwing a frisbee (maybe an overzealous cop slapped them with a fine for damaging something, or athletic field use without the proper reservation, etc...) and will that mean that all frisbee enthusiasts will think "gee, I need permission to throw frisbees now, because afterall, lookie what happened in Billy-bob-town, Alabama last month!" An easy compromise for those who are skittish, is to do your own checking with park's dept. written rules, not asking live persons, lest they give you their opinion, rather than written fact. Personally, I never do that, but for those that feel the need to, that is a happy compromise.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,
We just had a Tri state hunt/get together. Ricardo1 of this fourm got hit with the 250. He even has photos posted here.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EZ, thanx for the instance. Like I said, I suppose it has happened before ::) But if the park was not posted, and he was not previously warned (uh... "informed"), I can't imagine the ticket "sticking" in court. Seems that'd be thrown out. I've gotten "scrams" before, but can't imagine a ticket sticking. Unless someone couldn't take a warning or something, in an innocuous non-posted public place.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey i hear ya there tom. The park i hunt is 3 times the size of cetral park in NYC. We have to get a permit and there is only certan parks we can hunt. At this special park i hunt at i was in the grass digging a coin when the head parks person "nice lady" kneel beside me and asked if i found anything good. She began to tell me the she had been watching me from afar to make sure i wasnt diging big plugs and taking the trash out with me. Now in the same park there is over grown woods in witch i use a relic shovel in. It realy depends on the place were at and the parks rules.

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggem.. Milwaukee County were I live never had a problem with any public area. Been MDing for 25 yrs. Was surprised to hear about Brown County. Was up to a state park in Door County there you need a permit and you have to show the park ranger what you found, plus after Oct 15 you can not MD in the park
Like you say all counties are different,,best to check them out. Good Hunting Shane

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Best suggest is, check with your local city hall and see if okay to use the metal detector on the public park.

When I entered the public park and used the metal detector. Several oldest people were complaint and walked to me that we are not suppose to use the metal detector on the public area. He seem little angry face to me. They don't like to see anyone found many oldest coins from the park as they want to leave it there forever. Next day, I checked with the city hall and front desk lady transfer to other dept, then I explained about permit to use the metal detector on the public park. They said hold and look at the book. About half hour and they told me that I can allow to use the metal detector on the public park, no permit need to.

My best thing to do is, early Saturday or Sunday morning, so they will sleep late.

Richard

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
keep the parks for your self unless they are virgin. too many of our friends have been there. head for the old private residences. get permission, it is easier than you think. don't go with the d.t. dress clean, act polite, be friendly. you will appreciate this.

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And, since you are a newbie and asking for advice from those who love detecting, whether asked for or not... (Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to be mean, just teaching!) Those very same parks you're reluctant to detect in would be the very same places that actually do end up prohibiting detecting in them if newbies didn't replace all their dirt, replant their plug and take trash they might find with them and dispose of it properly.

The biggest threat to us are the disrespectful newbies who tear a place up and make us all look bad. One bad apple CAN ruin the whole barrel. Please detect responsibly!

As for the pinpointing thing, make sure you move away from your target, raise the detector above the ground an inch or so, switch it to it's target mode and make an '+' pattern above the target. The loudest point at the 'imaginary center' of the coil is the spot to dig....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread