How to clean rusted iron relics

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
You might want to pin this thread somewhere.

It took me 2 days and many attempts of methods to find a good one.

#1. Pour white vinegar into a bowl you think will cover the relic.

#2. Put the vinegar in the microwave and heat on high for 2 minutes (until it bubbles alot)

#3. Take it out and drop the relic into the bowl and let sit for 2 hours.

#4. You can take a toothpick to scrape the sides of the relic to break flakes off or rust dust.

#5. Once it's been soaked for a long time, or you reheat and do it again, you can use a Wire Brush (once vinegar is cooled down) and scrape it and it will help it alot.

WARNING!!! The vinegar fumes hurt your eyes when hot, wear safety goggles. Only burns for a few seconds tho.

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x
GREAT TIP!!!! now I just need a tip for figuring out what metal my old lighters made out of.................any ideas.

SEMPER FI :sunny:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try using an old crock pot or hot plate with an old pot. Beats having all the fumes in your house. Been using a crock pot to clean old locks & door hardware for years.

For old lighters a magnet will get you started. Then if you can make a very very small scratch with a pin inside where it won't show, you can look at it with a magnifying glass to see if it's brass or copper. After cleaning a rub with a little Simi Chrome polish will make your lighters look like a million bucks.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but Zippos have/had a lifetime guarantee. Just for kicks I sent one that was recovered from a fishing pond. It was so wasted the cotton inside had turned to slime. They sent it back completely refurbished! No charge!

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Hmm maybe lemon juice would work, im not sure. I think its possible to boil the vinegar on the stove and put it in there, and let it boil for awhile, I don't think that would hurt it. I still have more methods to try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions