Permission on school property?

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would definitely call the school administration. Some may consider it public property (like parks), but I would get permission. That way, if someone says something to you, you will have the permission of Mr. Magoo, the superintendant.

Hope it helps.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Above is good info but, sometimes getting permission on school property that is ok to hunt anyway, gives someone the ability to answer you NO even if its not true. Now, what do you do with that.

Example...
Our schools around here are ok to hunt, never have been questioned, never tossed off, even with mega folks seeing us including, what I believe are employees. Now, if I was to ask the principal or some official, they may come up with there own answer even being if its ok to hunt. I keep to my own, take care of any digging and respect the property. . JOe

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm with Joe on this one. I never ask to hunt school yards. If you ask, you may get a "no", when in fact, no one would really have cared, or even noticed you. Why would you think of yourself as any different than anyone else who uses the school yard after hours? (to fly a kite, jog the track, shoot hoops, etc...)

OP
OP
DirtNap_GA

DirtNap_GA

Greenie
Jun 4, 2008
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thank you for the replies. I live in a small town so I think it would be fine to just show up and hunt. I will ,however, call the Sheriff's office and get some info from them, since they would be the ones coming to "get" me.

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Yeah, I agree with JOe L. If the public school property is accessable, Go For It , unless there are posted signs to the contrary. Here in Polk County Florida, many of our schools are fenced and not accessable after school hours or week-ends. Those I leave alone except for the unfenced areas. I was hunting around the front entrance to one of our schools this week-end and two city policemen drove up, apparently to check the front door??? Maybe someone saw me and called them. But I pretended not to even notice them and they never said anything to me. This confirmed to me that what I was doing must be OK.

FL Junkman

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i just go early in the morning on weekends when school is not in session. people get nervous when they see a stranger on school grounds when the kids are there.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FL Junkman said:
Yeah, I agree with JOe L. If the public school property is accessable, Go For It , unless there are posted signs to the contrary. Here in Polk County Florida, many of our schools are fenced and not accessable after school hours or week-ends.

FL Junkman

There is one Fenced in Near me in Williamstown.
When I want to search it I go to the School District office.
They are in almost 365 days a year.
They will contact the Key holder to open it for me.

Or if I'm lucky to see somone mowing grass or other work
I ask them & they tell me to lock up when I leave if they
leave before me.

not saying all will do this,
But worth a try.

On phone calls. Too easy to say no to someone who
isn't looking you in the eyes with a smile on their face.

on police. good choice. because if they say no
you can go over their head to the school district and ask.

don't work the other way around.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
This topic seems to come up often, and there are a few who seem to be of the opinion that as long as it is public land, as long as it isn;t posted, why seek permission ?

The fact is that there are many jurisdictions under which metal detecting is either regulated by permit, or flat-out illegal.

I don't propose to argue whether it is right or wrong, but reality is reality - ignorance of a law has never been a good defense.

A few examples in my neighborhood:

City of Green Bay - permit required for all city parks (annual, $6.00 from the Parks & Recreation Dept)

Marinette County - permit required for all county lands (annual - $5.00 from the county Parks & Recreation Dept)

Oconto County - flat-out prohibited on all county lands except with written permission from the County Board of Supervisors !

Suamico Wisconsin - prohibited in all parks except with written permission from the Park, Forestry, Trails & Recreation Committee Park Director
(http://www.suamico.org/code/Chapter 7 - Natural Resources.pdf) Bond for this one is set at $25 - $2500.00

The point is, if it is not YOUR property, GET PERMISSION, or at least make certain it is not illegal. Failure to do so will cost nobody but YOU in the end if somebody (a law-enforcement type, P.I.T.A. neighbor, your ticked-off former better half, or whatever) decides to make an issue out of it.

Again, I know there are a number of well-intentioned folks here that would disagree with me, but having spent gobs of money trying to fight charges that I would say are just as pathetic as "metal detecting without a permit", I have got to say it pays to make certain you really are within your rights on public property. Otherwise, if you have plenty of cash, and lots of spare time, have at it.

Diggem'

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Diggem, if someone is worried that there may be something similar in their areas, to the VERY rare cases you cite, they should look it up themselves in city code. Like, I would assume that city codes/laws are available on-line at city websites, right? Do a key-word search on it for "metal detecting" or "metal detectors", etc.... If city law is silent on the issue, then I would take that as there being no prohibitions in city schools and parks. For example: in the cases you cite, if indeed there is a permit (or prohibitions or whatever), then I would assume that it is in existing written code, that would be found in the existing texts. But if it is silent on the issue, I would look no further for sanction. If you absolutely feel you MUST talk to a live person, phrase it in terms of "is there anything that addresses or prohibits the use of metal detectors on city property?". See the difference? The latter puts the burden on them to show an actual citation.

Because the minute you go couching your question in terms of "permission" or "can I do such & such", you merely give someone the freedom to say "no, just because I said so" (because maybe they think you're a moron who'll leave holes), when in fact 1) no real rule existed and 2) no one would probably have ever paid you any mind.

And yes, I'm of the group that you allude to, that feel like "as long as it is public land, and as long as it's not posted, why seek permission". I can't understand why anyone would think any differently, but that's just me. I mean, when you come to an intersection while driving, and see no signs prohibiting U-turns, you assume you can make a U-turn, right? Of course I would not apply this "public" logic to obvious historical monuments, the White House lawn, etc... I mean, c'mon, we're talking city school yards in Billy-Bob town USA ::)

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
Thingamajig said:
I was looking to do some hunting on some county school property (Georgia), namely an Elementary school. Do I need to contact the school admin for permission or is this considered public and would follow same rules as a park? ???
tom, be safe. get permission. written. some people lie. Bill

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Tom_in_CA said:
Diggem, if someone is worried that there may be something similar in their areas, to the VERY rare cases you cite, they should look it up themselves in city code. Like, I would assume that city codes/laws are available on-line at city websites, right? Do a key-word search on it for "metal detecting" or "metal detectors", etc.... If city law is silent on the issue, then I would take that as there being no prohibitions in city schools and parks. For example: in the cases you cite, if indeed there is a permit (or prohibitions or whatever), then I would assume that it is in existing written code, that would be found in the existing texts. But if it is silent on the issue, I would look no further for sanction. If you absolutely feel you MUST talk to a live person, phrase it in terms of "is there anything that addresses or prohibits the use of metal detectors on city property?". See the difference? The latter puts the burden on them to show an actual citation.

Because the minute you go couching your question in terms of "permission" or "can I do such & such", you merely give someone the freedom to say "no, just because I said so" (because maybe they think you're a moron who'll leave holes), when in fact 1) no real rule existed and 2) no one would probably have ever paid you any mind.

And yes, I'm of the group that you allude to, that feel like "as long as it is public land, and as long as it's not posted, why seek permission". I can't understand why anyone would think any differently, but that's just me. I mean, when you come to an intersection while driving, and see no signs prohibiting U-turns, you assume you can make a U-turn, right? Of course I would not apply this "public" logic to obvious historical monuments, the White House lawn, etc... I mean, c'mon, we're talking city school yards in Billy-Bob town USA ::)

Tom;

In principle, I agree with your position. We all know that there is no way ANYBODY, our govt included, could assemble or fund a large enough team of "experts" to sift through the top foot of every square foot of public land in 100 years, so the logic behind "preservation" is, in many cases, totally ludicrous. Despite that reality, we practice a hobby that, in the eyes of some people, is harmful or destructive, and, as a result, has been prohibited in a variety of places, and under a variety of situations.

Unfortunately, if there is a law on the books that prevents detecting (or almost worse, allows detecting, but prohibits digging, or "disturbing the flora"), and some schlep with an attitude wants to ruin your day too, the law is on their side, not the detectorists'. And short of finding a double-eagle, not much is worth the ensuing hassle and / or expense.

I agree with the approach of asking "Is there anything that would prevent me from doing this ?", so long as you are asking the right person, but an "OK" from the same person puts them on the defense along with you if there is a problem down the road. I'm not so sure that "calling attention to it" is likely to cause a problem: In most of the municipalities where I have sought information, the people have been extremely supportive and helpful. As for schools, in particular, I have found that talking with the head groundskeeper can be a bonus as well - they can often tell you where structures used to be, where old "abandoned" buildings are, where plowed snow is piled (you'd be surprised how much clad gets swept up from parking lots over a winter), and so on. It pays to make it real clear that they won't even know you were there, and then keep your word !

Another example for you: Our state parks allow detecting & digging in very limited (and not posted - defined only on paper) areas within their boundaries. If a person were to drive in and see someone detecting, one might assume (very incorrectly) that it is OK throughout the park. State law requires you to get a permit from the ranger in charge at the time, and he/she is supposed to provide you with the rules & regs. Most of the time the law will just say "you can't do that here - get!", but not always. One park ranger with an attitude, and it's goodbye detector, hello fine.

As a side note, I can remember when "right on red" was a new concept, and it was OK in a few states, but not all. The ones that hadn't OK'd it did NOT post "No Right on Red" signs at any of their intersections - you had to know what state you were in and whether it was or wasn't OK !

I've about worn this subject out, so happy dirt fishin' !

Diggem'

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe
I asked for permission to hunt my old High School. I spoke with the Principal and he said "Go ahead, I hope you find something!" I have found ALOT!!! He just happens to be a cousin, which may have helped some. I was asked to help locate the sprinkler heads on the baseball field so I willbe doing that tomorrow afternoon. Tim

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi diggem. I guess my answer would be that I don't see the "hassles", "expenses", and "fines" you alude to. My hunch is that most legal hassles are guys who snuck obvious historic posted sites, couldn't take a warning, had every reason to know better, etc.. I hunt schools and parks all the time and (gasp) have never faced fines, tickets, blah blah.. Sure now and then you have to use "due discretion" and common sense of when and where to go.

Good that you get "yes' wherever you go in public innocuous parks (as if you needed to ask). That's great ;D But I've also seen people get "no's", where.... strangely ........ people had detected before ad nauseum, and no one was ever bothered. That's what I'd be afraid of :'( And now guess what? You can't go any more because a desk-bound bureaucrat, who probably would never have given it a second thought, has given you a "no"?

OP
OP
DirtNap_GA

DirtNap_GA

Greenie
Jun 4, 2008
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I talked to the county sheriff and a city official. There are no city or county regulations against metal detecting, so I'm basically free to hunt schools, parks, etc.

I also got permission to hunt the area across the street from the school I've been eyeballing. This town was originally a Cherokee village back in the day and the 2 properties border the river running through town. :thumbsup:

Marauder Dan

Aug 24, 2005
I dont ask permission at any school but,Ive said hello a few times trying to be friendly to folks there,I try not to go when any kids are around and,I carry a plastic bag that always has sharp stuff like glass,nails,metal,to show anyone that gets curious and explain briefly that I do take nasty stuff out of there from time to time,,cover your ass!! look like a super hero,,know what I mean> :wink:

harristammy520

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2008
cheshire mass
Detector(s) used
hunter 11000
LOOK AT IT THIS WAY. DO YOU PAY STATE TAXES? OK THEN YOU PAY FOR THE UP KEEP OF THE SCHOOL. THEY CALL THAT (PUBLIC) NO ONE IT'S SELF OWNES THAT SCHOOL. AS LONG AS YOU TAKE CARE OF IT. YOU WILL BE OK. ALSO DO NOT DIG WHERE THE KIDS CAN GIT HURT. HAVE FUN.

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
I would just love to see any of this happen on Public School Property in NYC -- OMG NOOOOO!!!! a man with a cwazyy wacky machine on the property that my children will be on in 2 months omg i must call 311 and report them because here in NYC nobody minds their own damn business and everybody is a rat snitch nosy pain in the ass. Even the transit bus's tell you that fact when you see the ad that says "Last year 2,453 people saw something, and said something" Call 1-800- rat- urneighbor. ehh i dislike this city soo much

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with hunting and cleaning up after you leave. If the janitors are around, make friends with them. It's payed off for me several times. Some of the school districts here have state security officers that patrol the schools although seldom. Got the name of the guy that gave me permission, and just follow his guidelines. Never been bothered, not even by the cops yet. (Feverishly knocking on wood!).

fastfwd

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2007
Never asked permission for a school, and i have had the local police pull up and wave at me,no problems. Now if we all dig good plugs and dont kill the grass then no worries. I seen some plugs last trip that were close to dead :( Not good for our hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions