Greenie
Feb 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
I have done 8'' with the ace 250 on a 1962 quarter.

OP
OP
K

knfmn

Greenie
Feb 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax
I live in Massachusetts.

Kristopher

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I can't say much about the Silver as I've never use one. But I can tell you about the ace. There's lotsa claims about depth with alot of different machines with different soils in different parts of the country along with different objects detected etc... maybe you already get my point. I've used the Ace for about two years now and I have used quite a few different machines. The main thing 've learned over the course of my many years of trial and error is that the machine makes very little difference. What really makes a difference is the ground over which you place your machine. 90% of the good finds come from the top four inches of soil, so why look for a machine that will help you find things 12 inches deep ? Havce you ever tried diggin 12" deep ? Especially to find a wheatie or a rosie. Why not learn to do the research to find the good sights where good targets can be found plentyfully at 4" or less. BTW of the remaining 10% Most of that is operator experience. :icon_study:

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I have dug several coins between 6&8" deep with the ace, although most of my finds were 2-4" deep. Some were loud solid tones, others were faint but consistant on the sweeps. I have also dug iron relics at 10&12" in hard clay.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I hunt with a guy who uses the ACE 250. We trade off marked signals all the time. To be honest with you, he has trouble with dimes at anything 6" or more. It's "all he can do" to hear them, while my Explorer belts them out effortlessly. Who knows? Maybe it's the soil type here? I do see him try every single control trying to "bring them in", but we've both conceded that it's simply not a deep-seeker.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
I can't say much about the Silver as I've never use one. But I can tell you about the ace. There's lotsa claims about depth with alot of different machines with different soils in different parts of the country along with different objects detected etc... maybe you already get my point. I've used the Ace for about two years now and I have used quite a few different machines. The main thing 've learned over the course of my many years of trial and error is that the machine makes very little difference. What really makes a difference is the ground over which you place your machine. 90% of the good finds come from the top four inches of soil, so why look for a machine that will help you find things 12 inches deep ? Havce you ever tried diggin 12" deep ? Especially to find a wheatie or a rosie. Why not learn to do the research to find the good sights where good targets can be found plentyfully at 4" or less. BTW of the remaining 10% Most of that is operator experience. :icon_study:

Exactly.

Hunt virgin spots in plowed fields, and you won't have ANY trouble keeping up with the Big Dogs if you know your machine.

-Buckles

OP
OP
K

knfmn

Greenie
Feb 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax
Thanks for all the input. My only concern is that I've been using the machine for 3 1/2 months now, and I'm only getting depths of 3 to MAYBE 4 inches at the most. That's not deep enough here. I know I could get a lot more with a more expensive machine but that's not in the budget right now.

Kristopher

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
no need to use head phones on the Ace 250, the volume isn't variable. If his machine is reaching 4 inches then it's working fine. It will go deeper if he puts it over a bigger object. Prolly just finding mostly shallow coins and small change like dimes and pennies. If he puts it over a silver quarter even at eight inches it will ring out. Also need to dig those deeper iffy signals even when they indicate a pull tab since it could be gold.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have both the Ace250 and the Tesoro Silver uMax. With the stock coils I can tell the Tesoro has a bit more depth. If I put the 10x12 coil on the Tesoro I do notice a huge difference.
My brother in law has the same machines I have and his are the same as well.

I had the Ace250 before the Tesoro. The only reason I wanted the Tesoro was to give me less noise on the old house places and a bit more depth. I am really pleased with my Tesoro, but I do like the Ace as well.

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
I hunt with Kristopher when we get the chance and he's right, 4" doesn't cut it around here. It's a (major) suburban environment where almost everywhere I've found over the past 3 years of detecting has been hit pretty hard. I'll find an occasionally goodie 4" or less but it's extremely rare. I started with a Tesoro Sidewinder (similar to the Silver) and I never got much past 4" with it in this soil. Getting down at least close to 6" is pretty much a necessity around here, and 6-8" is much more fertile ground.

We were hunting briefly on Saturday and I got a real sweet tone on my Explorer that was mostly solid on the screen--I wouldn't call it "iffy" much at all--and I had him come over and check it. He couldn't get a peep out of the Silver. It was a large copper at about 8" or so. That's the 2nd I've found in this field--the 2nd was much deeper and I wouldn't expect most machines to have found it--but this one I thought at the time would have at least given him a peep but he couldn't hear it at all. (And he does use headphones--same model I had on my Sovereign that work pretty well.)

How much more depth would a larger coil add on a Silver or Ace? 1-2"?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking from what I've read that the soil in the area that is being hunted calls for either a manual adjusted ground balance machine or a true auto GB for the best depth. As both the Silver and the Ace are factory preset, I wouldn't expect much difference between them. As to adding the larger coils, if soil mineralization is part of the problem here a larger coil on a preset machine will just aggravate the condition. If you do upgrade, go to a machine with auto or adjustable ground balance. My two bits.
HH
Bill

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
knfmn said:
Hello all. I've been TH'ing for a couple of months now, using a Tesoro Silver Umax, and am really disappointed with the depth I'm getting from it. I am considering trading it in for an Ace 250, and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what sort of dept I could expect from it.

Thanks,

Kristopher
Kristopher: Your post made me wonder how you know that your Umax is not getting satisfactory depth. Questions such as yours always "bother" me because the questioner seems to imply that they know the maximum operating limits of their detectors and nobody really does because each item is individual. The only way your question makes sense is if you have a test garden, or have visited a test garden, in which you've tested other detectors and can then judge how different detectors perform. If you haven't, then you are really out of your element in saying that you are disappointed with the depth you're getting from your detector. You obviously don't know how deep your detector is capable of reaching.

Did you ever consider that perhaps you have not been anywhere near a deep coin/object? If you don't have a test garden, construct one and THEN judge your detector's depth. Always keeping in mind that a freshly buried object will make the detector behave differently than if the object had been buried long enough to achieve a halo effect.

Also, find someone in your area that has a decent detector and go out together and follow him/her and check his/her signals before any digging is done. You might find deeper objects than him/her!

So before you go looking for other detectors give yours a fair shake.

Silver Fox

OP
OP
K

knfmn

Greenie
Feb 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax
Silver Fox said:
knfmn said:
Hello all. I've been TH'ing for a couple of months now, using a Tesoro Silver Umax, and am really disappointed with the depth I'm getting from it. I am considering trading it in for an Ace 250, and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what sort of dept I could expect from it.

Thanks,

Kristopher
Kristopher: Your post made me wonder how you know that your Umax is not getting satisfactory depth. Questions such as yours always "bother" me because the questioner seems to imply that they know the maximum operating limits of their detectors and nobody really does because each item is individual. The only way your question makes sense is if you have a test garden, or have visited a test garden, in which you've tested other detectors and can then judge how different detectors perform. If you haven't, then you are really out of your element in saying that you are disappointed with the depth you're getting from your detector. You obviously don't know how deep your detector is capable of reaching.

Did you ever consider that perhaps you have not been anywhere near a deep coin/object? If you don't have a test garden, construct one and THEN judge your detector's depth. Always keeping in mind that a freshly buried object will make the detector behave differently than if the object had been buried long enough to achieve a halo effect.

Also, find someone in your area that has a decent detector and go out together and follow him/her and check his/her signals before any digging is done. You might find deeper objects than him/her!

So before you go looking for other detectors give yours a fair shake.

Silver Fox

I appreciate the advice, Silver Fox, but I hunt with BlackX, and having checked the signals he's getting with his Explorer a few times, and not getting a peep out of my Silver is one of the things that makes me question the depth. I did speak with a gentleman at Tesoro today who gave me a couple pieces of advice, which I'm going to try out. I do enjoy the Umax's ease of use, am just not thrilled with the depth issues.

Kristopher

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I appreciate the advice, Silver Fox, but I hunt with BlackX, and having checked the signals he's getting with his Explorer a few times, and not getting a peep out of my Silver is one of the things that makes me question the depth. I did speak with a gentleman at Tesoro today who gave me a couple pieces of advice, which I'm going to try out. I do enjoy the Umax's ease of use, am just not thrilled with the depth issues.

Kristopher
Well, since you seem to have your bases covered then let me apologize for the tone of my reply.

BTW, while it may not matter you didn't tell us in what mode you hunt that has been disappointing: disc or all metals, or both.

Silver Fox

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I’ll chime in here…………Firstly, I’ve used the ACE 250 in the past, for a period of approximately nine months. I haven’t used many machines, but this is the first one that I feel I learned to the max. Taking into account one of the known issues with the ACE 250 (Fixed Ground Balance) and knowing that it could work better in one area and not another, I can state that here in New York City, the 250 is able to clearly hear a dime up to about 4”. Past that depth, things begin to get choppy. There will be exceptions where for whatever circumstance, you can hear a dime clearly at 6”. I myself have dug a silver mercury dime with the ACE at 7”. Trust me. With that said, the issue that you are going to face with the ACE, Tesoro or any other entry level detector that will affect your finds the most is not going to be depth. It is going to be its ability to handle the soil and discriminate. This is where the higher end detectors such as an Explorer excel. They can still bring you in targets that are in close proximity to trash. When selecting a detector, depth should not be given more importance than the detector’s ability to separate in my opinion. Let me tell you a little story about a park that I introduced my hunting buddy LI Tom to. I hunted there with him when I had my 250 and soon ran out of signals. I believe I managed perhaps 6 coins with the ACE there and never more than two in a single hunt. Since I got my Explorer, I’ve revisited this park and have come out with four or six coins a day and found many more than those six I found with the ACE. The catch? None of those coins are deeper than 5” and 90% of them are 4” or less. The point? It’s not the depth capabilities of the Explorer finding them. It is its ability to separate between targets and trash. And that is of importance in a detector. This morning I found a merc at 3 ½” in a spot I had poured over with the 250. My point to you is that it’s not all about depth……..it’s about a detector’s ability to separate. Back to your Tesoro…………learn it to the best of your ability and find what you can with it. When the time comes, upgrade. In my personal opinion, I’d stick with the Tesoro.

Best,
Ricardo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread