ideal swing speed is NOT the same for all detectors

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I started this in a different thread than the one on finding nickels, I think the subject deserves it's own posting. I have a minelab x70 and a fisher F75. The minelabs are better in general is you go "slow and low" like some people say. The F75 is exactly the opposite. This is directly off from page 25 of the owners manual:

"SWEEP SPEED
The F75 is noted for its quick response. This gives it unsurpassed ability to locate and identify good targets surrounded by trash. It also permits the user to sweep the searchcoil quickly in order to cover more ground with very little risk of losing targets. In general, if you are searching an area where the desirable targets are more than 8 to 10 inches deep, a faster sweep speed will detect to a greater depth and yield more accurate target IDs."

Interesting huh? Yesterday I was trying the F75 and going as fast as my bum shoulder will allow. The audio was strong and so was the TID when swinging medium to pretty darn fast. I use the DP mode for tones, and the tones always told the whole story no matter how fast I swung the coil.

My motto for the F75 is "swing fast and have a blast!"

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think the F75 is fast, you should use some of the others.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
i think my TS is very fast!

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i agre the f-75 and t-2 are very fast, tryed the xt-50 and just didnt like the slower sweep speed and vague PP with the stock coil, the DD coil wasnt to bad though, had good depth and disc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread