kitty got skunked/anyone know what todo??/

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my dog(afgan..looong hair)got hit a while ago at about 2 in the morning just b4 i went to bed,didn't have any tomato juice but i had plenty of bloody mary mix(thats just how i roll :thumbsup:).washed him three times that nite,still smelled,it'll take a while no matter what u use,just keep giving your cat baths

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Here you Go!

The most important thing to do if your pet has been sprayed is check his eyes, nose, and mouth. If he was sprayed in the face--which is exactly where skunks tend to aim--the chemicals in the spray could cause irritation and inflammation. They could even inflame the lining of your pet's throat and lungs, if inhaled. If your pet was sprayed in the face, rinse his eyes, nose, and mouth with water. If, after rinsing, his eyes look red or he rubs at his face, he should be seen by a veterinarian. The veterinarian can make sure his eyes aren't damaged and prescribe an ointment to soothe the irritation.

If your pet's eyes, nose, and mouth check out okay, the next step is getting rid of the smell. The traditional remedy of soaking in tomato juice can reduce the odor somewhat. It will be more effective if you give him a bath with dog or cat shampoo first. Another home remedy that can cut down on odor is a mixture made of one teaspoon of dish washing liquid and one cup of baking soda dissolved in one quart of hydrogen peroxide (3 percent strength). After thoroughly soaking your pet in the mixture, rinse him with clean tap water.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
homefires said:
Here you Go!

If your pet's eyes, nose, and mouth check out okay, the next step is getting rid of the smell. The traditional remedy of soaking in tomato juice can reduce the odor somewhat. It will be more effective if you give him a bath with dog or cat shampoo first. Another home remedy that can cut down on odor is a mixture made of one teaspoon of dish washing liquid and one cup of baking soda dissolved in one quart of hydrogen peroxide (3 percent strength). After thoroughly soaking your pet in the mixture, rinse him with clean tap water.

homefires,

I am glad someone posted this recipe.
This stuff will neutralize any foul smell on an animal.

It was first published in Popular Mechanics magazine, that is where I saw it.
We use this formula a couple times a year for skunks and muskrats on dogs, cats and even horses.
I do recommend it.
The Hydrogen peroxide is cheep it costs about 50 cents per bottle (quart)
the rest is in your kitchen.

Thom

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Easy, Get a new Kitty. Good luck on a cure for your pet. Just kidding on the other part.

S

stefen

Use to wash the dog with canned tomato juice 2 or 3 times each year.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
sadly, the squirt is based on a oil protein mix, kind of like perfume. about the only thing that works is time.
tomato juice will cut down the sharpness of the odor, but, it won't eliminate it. sorry

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
homefires said:
Here you Go!

The most important thing to do if your pet has been sprayed is check his eyes, nose, and mouth. If he was sprayed in the face--which is exactly where skunks tend to aim--the chemicals in the spray could cause irritation and inflammation. They could even inflame the lining of your pet's throat and lungs, if inhaled. If your pet was sprayed in the face, rinse his eyes, nose, and mouth with water. If, after rinsing, his eyes look red or he rubs at his face, he should be seen by a veterinarian. The veterinarian can make sure his eyes aren't damaged and prescribe an ointment to soothe the irritation.

Ive used the peroxide recipe 2 times last year with my newest dog and it works like a champ.
Got the original recipe from our vet.
Ive tried the..........dont laff but our groomer told us to use Summers Eve douch, yea right.....
Tomato juice didnt do anything either.

The peroxide, soap and baking soda works like a champ and im sticking too it.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Believe it or not...
The peroxide mix works.
it works so well you may only have to do the bath once.

If you try anything this year to neutralize odors try this.
it really works.

Thom

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
bomber said:
my dog(afgan..looong hair)got hit a while ago at about 2 in the morning just b4 i went to bed,didn't have any tomato juice but i had plenty of bloody mary mix(thats just how i roll :thumbsup:).washed him three times that nite,still smelled,it'll take a while no matter what u use,just keep giving your cat baths
what a waste of bloody mary mix! toss the cat out side and in two weeks it won;t smell bad. in the mean time drink bloody marys!

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Just give the kitty a nice long lukewarm bath, and buy cat soap (don't get it in the eyes of the kitty) shrub it really good all over, and wash it off, might have to do it twice, but that should work or weaken it greatly.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
mollymole said:
I'm going to find something out there that gets rid of skunk smell.if it's the last thing I do.Dont think i'll find it w/my MD though.got to go help my kitty she got skunked
My dog every year gets sprayed by a skunk. I found a machine called a Fresh Air that I set up in a small room with the dog. It puts out ozone that totally destroys the skunk smell in about 2 hours. The dog smell in the house is also a thing of the past. It also helps with my allergies so the dog is happy and I am happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread