Stupid Questions Youve Been Asked While Detecting ?

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Stupid Questions You've Been Asked While Detecting ?

At a city park, I was asked condescendingly by a cafe latte sipper "Do you really expect to find anything here?" I said "No, I'm here because I need an alibi". He looked irritated and left.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I usually run into teens/tweens that make fun of the idea of having a detector. Just today I overheard one saying to his friends, "blah, blah, well I guess digging up 25 cents beats begging for it"

I tend to lie and say something like "well, I found a 12,000$ platinum ring at a park a few weeks ago", changes their tune REAL fast.

Certainly did today. ;D

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

When I used to water hunt, the little kids ( 9 to 13 year olds ) would ask what I was looking for? I would tell them " Floaters " to which they would immediately swim as fast as they could to the beach and tell their parents, then the swimming area would clear out and the police would show up asking me, "where's the body"? The floaters I was referring to were the occaisional paper money I would see drifting slowly along the bottom, but the kids never gave me the chance to explain before they left in a hurry.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II

lol...u said floaters,, I immediately thought they fled cause they thought the same thing I just did.
That "floaters" meant human "chocolate bars" :D :o

YoungGunTHer

Apr 28, 2008
Portsmouth NH
Detector(s) used
MXT

My buddy asked me If that "thing" found diamonds, and gems? He was referring to the kind that are not attached to rings. :icon_scratch:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kindafoundabuckle said:
See if it will pick up the bullet in my back and my favorite I take lithium pills see if it will pick them up. Then the guy raises his shirt as if he wants me to scan his stomach.

KFB

LMAO! Wonder why that dude was taking lithium :o Surprised he wasn't a vegetable in front of the TV drooling on himself...

My favorite was the guy that stopped while we were out hunting a yard and told us that he could find lost items with just his mind by channeling and focusing on the item he could go right to it. :D We told him to go ahead and show us where the coins were and he walked on. LOL!

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250

My neighbour once asked me when I happened to walk past him carrying my Ace "Is that a weed whacker?" I said no it isn't. Then, the next question was "Is that one of those radio controlled things then?" ??? ;D

OP
OP
Saturna

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

My favorite was the guy that stopped while we were out hunting a yard and told us that he could find lost items with just his mind by channeling and focusing on the item he could go right to it. Cheesy We told him to go ahead and show us where the coins were and he walked on. LOL!

Don't laugh, there are plenty of those guys on some of the forums right on this site :icon_jokercolor:

Jay

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you have permission to be here?

Answer... Do you?

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

BuckleBoy said:
Wonder why that dude was taking lithium :o Surprised he wasn't a vegetable in front of the TV drooling on himself...

FYI, Lithium is the most common treatment for manic-depressive or "bipolar" disorder. It's been used for decades.

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

In a game of butt-grabbing, the octopuss always wins...

T

The.Boomer

grumble,mumble n swear allot, never bothered by kids or adults. had the cops called on me once, told them i had no idea what they were talking about.

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

What do you mean you told them you had no idea what they were talking about? What were the cops called on you for? Were you MD'ing when the cops got there?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

A guy in his 40's to 50's asked me.... "Is that a satellite dish?"

T

The.Boomer

spisswgt said:
What do you mean you told them you had no idea what they were talking about? What were the cops called on you for? Were you MD'ing when the cops got there?

Yes I was MDing when they came. They asked me if I had seen anyone looking suspicious or crazy cause they had a call saying a crazy guy was attacking kids. I said I was there all morning and hadn't seen anyone or anything like that. Then I just wandered off and continued to detect. The cops went over to the tot lot and talked to the obvious caller, an older woman with two kids prolly her grand kids. Apparently they told her there's nothing they could do since I wasn't breaking any laws, and since they didn't see me behaving crazy. After they left I stood there and stared at her until she left, I hate old busy bodies. :D ;D >:(

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I was detecting a park with a gas station across the street and one of the park works asked me if I was check for gasoline contamination. Which I stated I was and will need to check the entire park so don't let in anyone with a metal detector until I'm done with my survey. Only kidding about the last part...LOL.

While detecting in Mexico I felt like a celebrity. I had my picture taken multiple times and was even filmed a few times. My favorite question from there was if the resorts hired me to remove the trash from the beach.

NJ

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Oh gosh, NJ....

I sure hope you had a handful of pulltabs and a few pennies to show the camera crew!

I always tell bystanders I HOPE to find a trinket or bauble.

Best
rmptr

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rmptr said:
Oh gosh, NJ....

I sure hope you had a handful of pulltabs and a few pennies to show the camera crew!

I always tell bystanders I HOPE to find a trinket or bauble.

Best
rmptr

I did find some nice gold jewelery when I was down there but I don't know what I had when I was being filmed. Whenever someone is standing there watching me I usually find a bottlecap...LOL.

99% of the time the people asking questions are generally interested and the last 1% are the wise guys with a comment to make so I will always take the time to answer questions. When I'm hunting by work I'm in a urban park so it is not the safest place in the world to be caring a $1000+ machine. I would have to say the number one question when I'm in this area is 'How much do one of those cost?' This is the only time I actually lie when answering a question from someone while I'm detecting. My standard response is you can pick one up from Walmart for around thirty bucks. I'm sure there are people out there that will kill you for thirty bucks but so far I have not come across them....Thank God.

NJ

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250

i have a new one,
i was hunting at the park and someone said....
whats he doing?
the kids brother replied,
probobly looking for land mines.
hello? it was a park.right at the concession stands too. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread