Saved myself some time...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one park I hunt during my lunch time is still producing but I need a change of scenery. Another park in the area just looks too scary to detect. Lots of shady characters and in a pretty bad part of town. So I turned my search to the internet and found another park in a better part of town that is over 100 years old. Did my foot recon yesterday and decided on the area to start detecting. Went today and for twenty minutes just found current clad.

I knew that even if this park was detected to death I should have squeaked out at least a wheaty. I looked around and saw some older gentlemen sitting on a park bench. I asked if anyone knew the history of the park and what an earful did I get. Apparently the park in the last ten years was dug out by two feet and new dirt brought in due to dirt contamination from old industry. They did not know where the old dirt was dumped.

I talked to them for quite awhile finding out more about locale history and turned up another possible detecting site I will have to try in the next week or so. This conversation gave me another site and saved me the aggravation of detecting a old site and wondering why I'm not finding any old coins. I gave them a business card so if anyone loses jewelery in the park they can reach me to come out and look for it for free as usual. I can use all the good karma I can get.

Always talk with the old timers when you can. You never know what it will turn up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread