How do you know when its time to put in new batteries?

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know when it's time to put in new batteries?

I know it sounds like a stupid question but I'm curious as to what happens to a detector when the batteries start getting too low, so I'll know the signs and change them. On my whites, it uses 8 AAs like most of the whites and I've let them get down to the mid to low 10V's. Does your machine start getting Squirrelly or act normally but simply lose sensetivity and depth? Thanks for any replies

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How do you know when it's time to put in new batteries?

SC_CATFISH said:
These machines have voltage regulators to drop the voltage to about 6 volts.
I'm not familiar with a QXT, but a DFX will show "LOW BAT" on the display when it drops to below 8 volts.
Thanks for your reply. It does have a voltage readout. I don't know if it shows "Low Bat" as I've never let them get below 10 volts. I guess I want to know if the detector loses capability as the voltage gets lower or can I use the batteries longer and save some money.
Thanks

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks again, Does your detector work normally until it says "Low Batt" or does it start acting wierd before that point. I'm asking because I've noticed my depth indicator starts to become inaccurate when I get in the low 10 volt area. I found the book on my detector and it states what you said that the "Low Batt" indicator will come on at 8 volts but I wonder if I should change them before that point? Thank you for your time and I'm sorry if I'm being a pest.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

dirtyJohn said:
Thanks again, Does your detector work normally until it says "Low Batt" or does it start acting wierd before that point. I'm asking because I've noticed my depth indicator starts to become inaccurate when I get in the low 10 volt area. I found the book on my detector and it states what you said that the "Low Batt" indicator will come on at 8 volts but I wonder if I should change them before that point? Thank you for your time and I'm sorry if I'm being a pest.

It sounds as if the "low bat" circuit checks to see if the voltage is below a certian level for a specified period of time before reporting a low battery. If your battery pack is normally 12V and it starts getting to 10V then it's almost dead.
Maybe the extra draw in current from the near dead battery drops the voltage just long enough that "wierd" glitches
are seen but the voltage drop dosen't last long enough to trip the "low Bat" alarm.
Just a wild guess. :wink:

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

I hope some more people jump in here . My detectors seem to work normally , then just quit when the batteries get to low .

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

My BH - Quicksilver, has a low battery that flashes on screen. It will then beep like once every 2 minutes to let me know.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

john i got about 25 hours on a set of batteries on my qxt's, i change them when it started to act funny, seems like once the warning came on it would die shortly after, trying to find my self another qxt, love that machine, how do you like the probe?

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i use 8AA batteries in my gta 1000 i have a battery indicator when it gets to 1 icon i replace them, i buy batteries from Dollar General stores . 20AA alkaline for 4 something i get aprox 40 hrs out of my batteries . It only shut down once on me cause i forgot to replace them but that was back in 96 after i got it
HH socks

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thompy said:
john i got about 25 hours on a set of batteries on my qxt's, i change them when it started to act funny, seems like once the warning came on it would die shortly after, trying to find my self another qxt, love that machine, how do you like the probe?
Thanks for your reply. The probe's great. Money well spent. The QXT is a great machine but got a bad rap from people who I feel didn't take the time to understand it. 25 hours on a set of batteries on this machine sounds right from my experience even though whites says 40 hours.

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

longsocks (socks) said:
i use 8AA batteries in my gta 1000 i have a battery indicator when it gets to 1 icon i replace them, i buy batteries from Dollar General stores . 20AA alkaline for 4 something i get aprox 40 hrs out of my batteries . It only shut down once on me cause i forgot to replace them but that was back in 96 after i got it
HH socks
Thanks for your reply. I'm in Northeastern Illinois and I see you're in Southeastern Wis. If you ever want to get together for a hunt let me know.
Imagine a FIB and a Cheesehead hunting together, maybe world peace is possible???......Naw. But we can still declare a ceasefire to go hunting if you want.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

dirtyJohn said:
I'm asking because I've noticed my depth indicator starts to become inaccurate when I get in the low 10 volt area.

I would take a spare set of batteries out that are pretty low (IE, that read 8 volts) and find a good solid signal with a new set of batteries, then replace them and see how that target looks with the nearly-dead batteries. Try this a few times and see what happens.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

It seems to me that I'm finding targets right up till they die... I'll dig a good target, stand up, and the batts will be dead. (the battery dead thinggy indicates)

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

My Explorer XS emits a squirrely tone letting me know when the batteries are 3/4 of the way dead. All I have to do is look at battery symbol on upper right of smart screen, when the darkened part is just a sliver at the bottom, then I should expect the squirrely sound soon.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft

The voltage regulator needs a few volts above it's out put to operate. Until it shuts down, it should be putting out the required voltage. Just keep some spares with you and run it until it dies! :thumbsup:

R

RUDY2003

I use a Whites M6 and when my batteries (rechargeables) get to 10V the M6 starts to get Squirrely too.

Keep safe...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread