Are you more observant because of Metal Detecting?

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I have found more eyeball finds that ever before since I got my metal detector last year.
I think I have become more aware of anything lying on the ground because of it. I cant pass up anything shiny in a parking lot thinking it might be more than just a gum wrapper.
Since last year I have found a couple of kid type charms, many coins, sunglasses, sockets, eyeglass screwdrivers, not just on concrete but on grass too.
I even pick up pennies other people walk over since I found 1919 wheat penny just laying on the ground.
This week it paid off when I found a crumpled $20 bill next to my car in a parking lot.
What got me thinking of this is that I really don’t think that I would have recognized it as money being that it was crumpled up instead of folded if it wasn’t for all the stories I read here and the condition of finds. I think someone even stepped on it.
Im just wondering if anyone else thinks that detecting has made them more observant at eyeball finds?

~~Minnie

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Minnie,

not sure ???

Do seem to spend a lot of time walking into
trees, autos, curbs, buildings. :P
I need to spend more time looking at where I'm going
and not at the ground. ;D :wink:

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AbsoLUTELY I am more observant! I found a $20.00 outside of Ale House the other night just because I'm always looking down! lol! And then yesterday my boyfriend found a silver earring on the ground! Keep your eyes open and appreciate the small stuff!

- KC

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Yes....

I have eyeballed 2 gold rings. I found one by a railroad crossing that was mixed with cirgarette butts, yep, someone dumped it out with their ash tray and found another one at the WalMart parking lot. Also found 2 cell phones on the road, did find the owners and returned them. I love this hobby. John

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Yep! Without a dought! Find all kinds on goodies! You know 100 people have walked right buy or over most of it! :tongue3:

S

stefen

I'm especially more observant on the beaches :thumbsup:

Here is one of my better eyeball finds.

Attachments

• GO-FOR-IT, BIG BOY.jpg
    GO-FOR-IT, BIG BOY.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 352
  • GO-FOR-IT, BIG BOY.jpg
    GO-FOR-IT, BIG BOY.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 291

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
While I can't top that eyeball find I can say that I am definitely more observant.

I find lost jewelry all the time now and lots of clad. Sadly the jewelry is all junk but I did find a .925 ear ring a couple of months ago just laying on the ground.

Yesterday I got out of the car and saw a dime about 30 feet away. My daughter said to me, "Dad that's too far away for you to see it's just trash." Walked over and sure enough a dime. Also my 3 year old walks around the store picking up change all the time now.

I can't remember a time when we have gone to the store and he hasn't found at least one coin. He is keeping them in a bank and saving them to buy himself a toy....

So I would say yes this hobby makes you more observant. I am still waiting for the time when I go out hunting and find a silver coin just laying on top of the ground like so many on this forum have done.

Maybe I need a new location one closer to Stefen!!!

F

Felinepeachy

YES!!!! I know every crack in the pavement of the Raleys shopping center.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Detecting gives a person an aggressive hunters state of mind, it sharpens all the senses, and keeps one on a constatant state of alert.

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
I agree with you as well as slingshot. I too have been finding more things on the ground than before THing. I believe that I know what dirty money looks like and especially keep an eye out for jewlery. Also, I find myself looking at unusual places that other people would ignore. Thanks for posting the eye candy while I am sitting here typing and enjoying my morning cup of coffee. The sun is definately shining this morning.
HH All,
Roy

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES
my brother is amazed at the things i find when we are together
just tooling around town

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
About 12 years ago a friend of mine and I decided to have a "found money" contest. We would start on the 1st of the year and end it on December 31st.

The person who finds the most money during the year would win and the loser would have to buy the winner dinner. (My early form of metal detecting).

There were rules to the game though. The money had to be found and you could not know who's it was. If you did you had to give it back. Someone who knew you were doing that couldn't just drop money on the ground for you. If you found money in your own house that didnt' count either.

The best year I've ever had was $80.00. The worst year was $13.00. It is all found money. Because of this I have always been observant.

Now the money I find with my metal detector does not count for this and has it's own jug. :)

I still do this and it is sort of fun. I was driving down the road one day with 2 of my friends and all the sudden turned around. They asked me what I was doing and I said that I thought I saw a dollar on the side of the road. I pulled over and sure enough, it was a dollar!!! :)

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
I have ALWAYS been a "looker", ever since I was a kid I would find stuff.
So to answer your question........No. But I can see how MDing can help
people who may not have been very observant before starting this hobby.

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
me too ty.
tymcmurray said:
I have ALWAYS been a "looker", ever since I was a kid I would find stuff.
So to answer your question........No. But I can see how MDing can help
people who may not have been very observant before starting this hobby.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL Stefen I see what you mean... I look for the same thing at times but now let's get back to detecting. :D

I would have to say that SlingShot is correct for some people.

Though as I have had much military personal in my family I have it in the blood of being constant alert and on the look out, I do by instinct "read" people to see if they can be a threat.

And to add to that I have had lots of time in the woods so for me it did not do much difference.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
[quote auth or=stefen link=topic=173090.msg1262305#msg1262305 date=1217883589]
I'm especially more observant on the beaches :thumbsup:

Here is one of my better eyeball finds.
[/quote]

Keep looking and maybe you will find her a sandwich.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Not sure, but I don't think so...I have always been very observant to my surroundings and the things around me and on the ground...maybe from looking for fossils and such since I was about 4 or 5...I just love finding things others overlook!
Baggins

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
I never use to notice anything when I was out. Now I am constantly looking for things others have lost... and I've found some pretty good stuff. :thumbsup:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
littletwig said:
I never use to notice anything when I was out. Now I am constantly looking for things others have lost... and I've found some pretty good stuff. :thumbsup:
MDing had been a casuall thing for me until I stumbled onto TNET.
The good info and good folks here have turned that into an obsession. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread