Regarding dirty coins...

mckeekitty

Greenie
Dec 5, 2007
Hi Folks,

Regarding dirty clad: I looked into tumblers. I looked into various cleaning solutions. I tried baking soda, vinegar, and metal cleaners. I realized I was spending more time and energy trying to get a quarter to look presentable than I did digging for it!

I never wanted to use a coin machine. I worked too damn hard for each and every one of those coins, and wasn't willing to give a cent to a machine so it could profit from my efforts. Finally, I called my local bank (I'm in Western, MA).

I explained my dilemma: My hobby was metal detecting and I had collected a few hundred dollars worth of change over the years, and the coins were filthy and unworthy of circulation.

My call was transferred to the Head Teller. I was asked to roll the coins and mark the rolls "dirty." I cash them in, and the bank then sends the coins to the FED (and I'm speculating here, but probably taken out of circulation). Anyway, I've done this about half a dozen times and no problem! The bank only asks that I don't mix clean coins with dirty ones...they don't want to be sending perfectly good coins off with the filthy ones.

Anyway, this has been my experience. I don't know if they are doing me a favor (I doubt it...we never have more than $10.00 in our account on any given day!) or if there is a Federal policy in place for accepting coins in poor condition...currency is currency afterall. Worth a phone call to your bank!

Anyway,

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mckeekitty, I like your idea. I usually just resolve to tumble mine, and have a percentage rejected by the coin star machines (which charges a percentage from the get-go anyhow). I do a lot of beach-storm hunting, so a lot of mine is toasted to begin with, so gets spit out by the coin star machine anyhow. I guess if I wanted to get full value, I could do what you're doing. And yes, it adds up. At the end of one prolific winter storm 3 or 4 month season, I had $500 or so of clad.

The only downside to your tip though, is that it requires rolling them. That alone takes time. So some people may elect to take the percentage loss and just pass them through coin-star.

OP
OP
M

mckeekitty

Greenie
Dec 5, 2007
Hi Tom,

Yes...the "direct bank" approach does require the time-consuming task of rolling the coins. Personally, I enjoy this rather mindless project. I do it while watching TV or listening to the radio, and I enjoy watching the mountain of rolls accumulate. I'm sure I resemble Scrooge while undertaking it.

I figure I get the rolls free at the bank, and rolling the coins is akin to other projects that might occupy my hands...knitting for example. I just fiqure that if I have $300.00 in clad, I don't want to sacrifice $24.00 (8%) of it to a CoinStar machine.

Happy Huntiing!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wash my clad under warm water. What comes off, comes off. Then I spend it right away...I dont save it long enough to become an issue with what to do with 100's of dollars worth.

Al

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2
hi everyone ijust red your post and have another option for you. this is fast,easy,quite,and cheep.ready? get a bowl, put your coins in it,pour lemon juice to cover coins,add some salt and stir,let coins soak and stir every 5 minuts for about 30 minuts ,lightly brush any realy stubern ones. do pennies seperatly and watch them carefuly. you will be amased (do valuable ones at your owen risk) and make sure you rinse the coins with clean water. let me know how you make out. ps try a small batch first. good luck. firedup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread