lost ring a memory or can i find...

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it after 40 years in a field. My uncles funeral is today and just remembered he lost a very expensive ring picking cucumbers. I do remember he tried to find it with a metal detector but he didn't know what he was doing. The parcel of land is about 35 acres and it just does not seem possible. The ring i remember had a huge ruby in it and was 18 k. His ring was brought to the US from Armenia after the the Turks killed all his family except his father. I cant remember the value of the ring but i do know it was huge. Maybe someday someone will find it....AA

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, AA. :-\

Maybe someday someone will find it....AA

but not you?? Is there anybody you can ask to narrow down where on the 35 acres it might be located?? I would give it a try at least.

If it was iron...you could check all the anthills there! ::)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it Frank, what I would do is find a similar ring (18k) and see where it registers/sounds like on your detector and then you know what to concentrate on. Also, I would be sure to pick his brains, in that you most likely can narrow down the 35 acres to a smaller plot where it could have been lost.

I found that wallet years ago the farmer lost while tilling, but luckily it was narrowed down to one 1 acre field, but the wallet only had a metal snap and clip for the section that holds photos and cards. I had a similar one at home and my detector did pick it up , barely, but then I knew what to listen for and did find it. The wallet contained 12 one hundred dollar bills. I made the owner rather happy when I found it.............

Don

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely narrow down the field to where the crop was and give it a go. You want to disc out iron only and be sure your detector responds to pull tabs as this is where 90% of the gold rings respond. Also check around the yard as he may only have noticed it missing in the field. Good Luck.

Hellcat

Jul 8, 2008
Scotland
Detector(s) used
A cheap one
Yeah, go for it. Can you imagine the adrenaline rush you'll get when ye find it?! I wish ye the bestest of luck. 8)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, if CRUSADER can find an ancient gold Stater in a field 10-times that size,
your chances of finding that ring seem better than fair :wink:

I wish you the best,
watercolor

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Go for it Frank, what I would do is find a similar ring (18k) and see where it registers/sounds like on your detector and then you know what to concentrate on. Also, I would be sure to pick his brains, in that you most likely can narrow down the 35 acres to a smaller plot where it could have been lost.

I found that wallet years ago the farmer lost while tilling, but luckily it was narrowed down to one 1 acre field, but the wallet only had a metal snap and clip for the section that holds photos and cards. I had a similar one at home and my detector did pick it up , barely, but then I knew what to listen for and did find it. The wallet contained 12 one hundred dollar bills. I made the owner rather happy when I found it.............

Don
Don i cant ask him because we buried him today but when things calm down my aunt will show me. I did find out from my cousin the ring was handed down in the family for 300 years in Armenia...aa

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grid it I would start at the most likely end and section that out about half an acre at a time. Maybe you can get a few folks to help

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grid the field and slowly cover it all till you find it. Get as many of your detecting buddies to help you for you can cover the field faster that way and I am sure they would be thrilled to help you and be ecstatic if they could help find the ring for you and get it back to your aunt.
Good luck and hope to see a pic of it posted here soon after you find it!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread