deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to my old grade school today to do a little detecting. My gosh has that thing grown. It's as big as the high school I went to. It's probably 20 times bigger now then when I went there. Anyhow...being the believer that a site is never hunted out...I went to the only spot that still looked like it was in the same place as when I was a kid.

There is a set of steps running from the school down to the field I remember playing on so thats where I went.

Silence......more silence....a beep...a piece of a pull tab...more silence....a dime...lots more silence...another dime...a nickle...more silence...another dime.

I was seriously expecting a lot of junk, pull tabs, screw caps..(I did pass one over)...and of course...ye olde penny.

Not a single penny and the area was virtually devoid of any junk. My take was the 3 dimes and a nickle for about an hours worth of detecting. The oldest was a 1977, as was the nickle and the latest a 1989. The original school dated back to the late 1800's.

The only thing I can guess is someone went over the area and was a hard core detectorist and cleaned up everything...except the dimes.

I've nicknamed my detector the dime magnet because I find a lot of them in areas that others have told me they've hit hard. So why are people missing dimes? They sing out pretty loud on my machine at an average depth of 3-4".

It just doesnt make sense I'd find those and no junk or pennies.
A grade school yard and no pennies.....I just dont get it.

Al

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't have the pennies discriminated out by accident did you? I accidentally did that once and came back another day and found several wheats. Monty

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont think so Monty...started out in a generic, preset program. Even boosted my sensitivity until is was chirpin on its own....still nada for any signals but what I found.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread