Ive got to expand my detecting area by about 1000 miles!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got to expand my detecting area by about 1000 miles!

I was over on the Today's Finds area looking and drooling over what people are finding up from Pennsylvania to the New England states and I'm more than a little jealous! I will admit it. There is a picture of a 12 year old girl with her dad digging up coins from the 1700's by the handsful. I really want a day like that
I have absolutely and without any doubt in my mind, or even thought of how I'll talk my wife into it, got to go somewhere that it's possible to find stuff like that. I can swing around all the old farms and this and that around Charlotte, N.C. that I want to, but I'm never going to find anything like that here. I'm excited, I'm stoked, I do believe, but I'm realistic. Has anyone in North Carolina ever found anything that cool? HERE? I know, we've got our share of civil war stuff. I've found "colonial" nails (square cut, hand made) that I was pretty happy about (don't laugh, I really was happy). But narry an older coin than my 1906 IH penny. Maybe I'm not hunting smart enough. Maybe I need to dig in to the old maps and stuff at the library before I start swinging. Does anybody have any input on this subject? We'll enough pitty party for now. ;D

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I've got to expand my detecting area by about 1000 miles!

I'm really surprised nobody has even commented on this.

T

The.Boomer

Research is definately the answer Rama.
people have been in N.C. almost as long if not longer than say N.Y. The french and spanish were all over the south long before the english decided to make a colony here. What you need is a good site, like a farmers feild that used to be a trading post or a stage stop. Some place that held everyday commerce.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Research is definatly the key to all of this treasure hunting stuff. As I have found when going metal detecting. Most of my area's are already cemented over. Washington state is a very hard place to treasure hunt when it comes to coins older then the 1900's. I usually find most of my sites either cemented over or completely covered with really long grass that no one is willing to cut.

I just have to be patient and keep trying! I have only been at this for 4 months and have already gotten my first silver 1950 dime. Which I was really excited about. Anyways Research is the key and I hope that you will find a lot of amazing things in your state! :) It sounds like you have a pretty good spot there though! I would love to hunt around in N.C. to see if i can pick out any indian head pennies.

bigolhorns

Nov 12, 2006
Forest Grove,Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 11" and 9.5 " Elliptical
Garrett AT Gold
Teknetics Gold Bug
White's "Mr. Bill modified" Classic IDX
Teknetics Eurotek Pro 8" coil
Teknetics Eurotek Pro 11" coil
XP MI6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I hear ya! I'm in Oregon and the old coins are pretty much out of reach. Coins sink very fast here, I dig zincs at 8". 20 years ago it was common to come home with lots of silver,no more.
I had to change my thinking and detectors and started hunting jewelery. Lots of it out there, but you dig more trash. I now dig everything and actually look for foil/tab signals. It pays off.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ramapirate you make me sick, :icon_pirat:

I am in Utah and would love to have the opportunity to hunt your neighborhood. But on that same note the oldest coin I have dug has been a 1847 LC and I have personally seen 2 gold coins come from the ground. I have great treasure tales to tell and only a few end with me having a valuable treasure.

I assure you there are many treasures to find in your own neck of the woods. You have to have the right motivation and learn the correct skills.

While you are drooling and daydreaming about being north someone up north is daydreaming about hitting a CW site. And the whole time you two are wishing you were someplace else I'm in Utah jumping for joy when I dig a seated dime or shield nickel.

You don't need to expand your hunting grounds you need to focus and localize it.

There is my 2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread