Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Summertime break, what I'm doing

I'm finding a distinct advantage to the hot, dry spell we've had going for the last few weeks.

My last attempt to detect, a week ago, met with rock hard ground...or powder dry, depending on which site I was at...and rapidly increasing humidity and heat. Made for a short detecting trip.

Anyhow....I decided to just sit at home for several evenings in the A/C, suck down a few cold ones, and figure out how the map overlay feature worked on Google Earth.
I figured it out and found myself an awesome place to detect! :thumbsup:

I spent a few more evenings, almost all of my free time, sucking down cold ones and browsing the internet on everything possibly associated with this area.

A cluster of 7 or 8 houses used to be in a place I found on a 1900 map and on Google Earth, it is now partly scraped down by bulldozers and partly in the woods.
Further research, I discovered this particular area was heavily used by the local native Indians, AND....it was a main transportation site for all kinds of travelers.

Now there is absolutely nothing there. History going back to the mid 1700's...and barely accessable and only viewed by accident playing with map overlays......and the best part of all....its about 10 minutes from my house :coffee2:

Thank you whomever it was who's post about how to do the overlays worked. I think I got me a virgin site!!!! And I want to thank Mother Earth for giving me a reason to take a break from the "Usual" spots and kick my feet up, sit back, and do a little research.

This cold one's for you,
Cheers,
Al

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Summertime break, what I'm doing

Research always pays off..Keep us posted on anything you find..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread