Looking into a new detector. Would like some insight from the pros.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I started metal detecting this summer with a passion! I happen to live near a beach, so I have been in the water almost every day. Now that the season is fading, I want to move into relic and old coin hunting soon. I have a few very promising sites in mind. Late 1800s schoolhouse, 1900s era house, and 140 acres of civil war battleground. Since my Excaliber is a water machine, it just does not work well on land. I cannot decipher sounds very well at all, and in my few land attempts, I came up short. When I delve into these locations, I want to have the best potential for finding the good coins and relics.

I have been working on a mental list of things I would like in a detector. As I progress in the decision making process, I will continue to modify it. And with your input, I will modify and tweak it to narrow down my search. Price is not so much an issue, as I know from experience, this is a hobby that pays you back. I also hope to buy a machine second hand, to cut down on the cost.

Things I want in a detector.
Depth. I want to go deep. 8, 10, 12 inches - bring it on. I want to be able to find dimes at 10+ inches. What detectors out there are capable of this?
Depth ID. I understand size of an object affects the depth indicator, but, I would like a machine that is fairly accurate in this regard.
Discrimination. I need a machine that can separate trash and treasure, even if they are side by side. I have read some reviews, and I understand that Minelab has a detector or two that are very good at this. But what about the DFX? Does it handle different targets well? Are there any others?
Parks. I want to be able to get very close to playground equipment. We have a lot of parks in the area here, and both of my current machines have an affinity for the metal poles. I would like to be able to get within 6 inches, as 2-3 feet is enough to set off my current machines.
Relics. There is a lot of history here, and in the surrounding areas. The history here goes back to 1607, and I while I know research is 90% of it, once I find a good site, I want to be able to pick up on those relic targets. Same for coins. I know there are some old ones around this area.
Pinpointing. I need good pinpointing. I plan to pick up a pinpointer as well. Being new to land hunting, Ill have to learn how to pinpoint a lot better than in the sand. Not to mention learn how to dig plugs properly.

As I mentioned, I will continue to build on this list until I hone in on the detector that suits me best. Hopefully I can borrow one to get a feel for it first, and see how it fits me, or how I fit it.

Thank you all very much for any advice and input you can provide. I have noticed a very talented pool of fine individuals on this board, and I love the camaraderie. Hopefully I can get a great machine, and be just like you guys someday, posting great finds day after day. :)

Thank you sincerely,
Anthony

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a tall order for a detector that meets all your requirements. When one meets a couple requirements, another cancels it out. For Depth, the Sov GT and Nautilus fit. Neither has a depth or ID screen. Detecting close to fences and poles is done by greatly turning down the sensitivity or using a sniper coil.

Having a detector that responds to a good target under or very close to a piece of trash like a nail is the Sov. GT and Excal. But if you are having trouble with sounds from your Excal, kiss good bye to the Sov GT. The DFX can reach the depths you want, but not with the stock coil in most ground an by doing that you lose the ability to get near metal poles.

A PI detector can get great depths that you want, but I wouldn't wanna dig them kind of holes for nails. Forget metal poles too unless ya just wanna wrap the detector around one..............

I wish I could help with a simple answer, but this is why I use so many different ones for different jobs.

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thank you for the post Sandman. I greatly appreciate your knowledge, experience and insight. It sounds like I may need to have multiple coils for a single detecter. Swap out the coil depending on the place I am searching. I need a screen, I really am tone deaf. Sometimes with the excal, I expect a penny or quarter, and get gold. I expect a nickle/pulltab and get silver. I had some specific desires in a detector. Didn't expect a single machine to have it all, but I am hoping. I kinda wonder if the Explorers are going to be selling cheap second hand now that people are upgrading to E tracs.

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
kellyco has a used explorer se pro for under a grand, not an experienced user myself but i have heard good things about all explorers in general, and if cost is of no consequence why not get one brand new out of the box with warranty, or heck go off the edge and get an E-Trac...sounds like you're around some prime huntin ground! :thumbsup: goodluck with whatever you choose

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
RigDean -
I doubt I can find a used E trac for sale at this time. I am trying to narrow down my possabilities and find that detector that fits me best, while still accomplishing my goals and aims. The SE Pro seems to have better reviews when compared tot he DFX, but I am a little partial to Whites. Still need some time and aid to make that final call.

I have been digging around doing some research on reviews lately. It looks like I may settle on a DFX or SE Pro. They both seem to have great potential, providing you are willing to be patient and learn the machine. I am sure that neither is an answer to every land hunting mission, but I would hope with changing coils, you can adapt to new terrain.

Has anyone here used both machines? Which do you prefer, and why?

Once again, thank you very much for your time and input. I greatly appreciate any and all help.
Anthony

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
Look at the MXT with big DD coil. It'll give you the depth you need and also give you excellent target separation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread