Need Advice - Looking for a lost ring in FL

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
About 20 years ago my mother lost a gold ring that belonged to my grandfather. She dropped it somewhere in his small front yard and was never able to find it. Last month we returned to the home site and she showed me approximately where she lost it. I just bought a detector last week and want to go look for it and surprise her with it (my grandfather passed away 4 years ago). It's a simple gold ring with tiger eye stone. Not very valuable other than the family value - it was a gift from my grandmother to my grandfather.

Here is where I need advice... the house has been leveled and the lot is now vacant and for sale. I imagine there is trash everywhere in that lot from the demolition. My detector is an Excalibur II w/ 10 in coil and I'm still learning it's tones. How will the Excalibur do in this environment? Should I rent another machine w/ smaller coil and visual ID? I'd obviously like to avoid digging every screw and nail. Any thoughts on how deep a ring could sink in 20 years in Florida soil w/ St. Augustine grass?

Also, I checked county records and learned that the realtor owns the property. I have left messages stating only that I have a question regarding the property, but my calls have not been returned so far. I believe my best chance at gaining permission is to explain exactly what happened and hope for the best. Any thoughts on how to ask permission once the owner/realtor calls back? If he denies permission I would probably counter with a cash offer, maybe 50 bucks. Any experience in this type of negotiation will be most welcome.

Of course, the hunt could be a bust if the ring was found previously but I want to give it a shot. Fortunately the yard is quite small and my mother gave me a real good idea of where it most likely fell. The area I need to hunt is roughly 15' x 15'. Thanks in advance for any help and I will post the outcome here.

Cheers,
Dan

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no pro at this by any stretch of the imagination, but if it was me and no bigger spot than that, I'd get permission if possible and then just go get to swinging! I'd dig anything that made a noise in that small of an area, that will also help you learn your detector in the process. I have a small office and that's about the size of my office, about 15'x15', and I'd dig that on a whim. Let us hear how things turn out. Good luck!
(Now if it's completely buried in like a foot of rubble, that's different, but I've hunted knock down / haul offs a fair amount and came out with some good finds.)

HH,
Ramapirate

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not bother to ask permission from the realtor as they don't own the property, they only sell it. Since the area is so small, I would just use the Excal and advance the coil just a bit at a time as you slowly sweep the yard. You will have to investagate every low growl. Lay a pull tab down and listen for what it sounds like------that is the sound you are looking for. You can also use a wedding band. Advance the coil just a bit and sweep again. If the ring is even near a nail it should sound off, but will be masked if there is to much iron. The use of a small coil would be best, but you can't change coils on the Excal yourself. This is where a Sov GT would come in handy with a 4 inch Joey coil. But then you have to hope the ring is not buried to deep.

Good Luck and I hope you find it.
Sandman

OP
OP
Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Cleared the first hurdle today - spoke with the owner/realtor and got permission. Nice guy - I told him straight up what I was looking for and he wished me luck. Sandman, thanks for the tip on using a pull tab as a test. I'll give it a try.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may also be able to take a magnet along if there is a lot of trash and nails on the surface. That would help clean it up a little.

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is possible to get or rent another machine, honestly KELLYCO isnt that far from you. You can rent one there. I would use a smaller coil more like a sniper. Florida soil especially in St Augustine is quite soft and fertile meaning if could have sank pretty deep, especially if you have trees overhead. Another thing is the grass, make sure it has been covered over, im not sure how long its been out of ur possesion but check the background on what renovations have taken place on the property. I personally would buy or rent another detetor with a smaller coil(beacuse of the trash issue) and find that ring, if you need help let me know and the next time im home in florida Ill find it for ya!!!!!!

CRACKBADGER

OP
OP
Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Thanks for the generous offer Crackerbadger - much appreciated. Hopefully I will find it this week when I can get to the property. I'm going to call Kellyco tomorrow to see what they charge for a rental. I've already been thinking of buying a 2nd machine so I can drag friends along on my hunts. Perhaps the rental money would be better spent on a purchase instead. I was thinking an ACE250 as a 2nd unit based on the price and reviews it gets. Would the sniper coil fit on the ACE250?

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there are only 2 coils that'll fit the Ace 250, which is the small one that comes with it new, and the big Rhino coil. If you stick a coil on a detector that's not meant to be used, it can screw your detector up, it won't balance to it. Isn't that correct, or am I talking out of my aspirations? Good luck and keep us posted!

HH,
Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread