Decent start-up underwater MD

OP
OP
S
Jul 7, 2008
Hmm what about the Cobra Beach and Land Metal Detector? Again I am clueless...I don't know about any of these....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from these Chinese Kellyco detectors. Everyone that comes on the forum is asking for help with them not working well or something.

You didn't say if you wanted to hunt fresh or saltwater beaches as there is a difference in what we could suggest. What works in the water would be heavy to use on land for very long. I too am a diver and have used many different ones depending on what job I wanted to do.

For fresh water a Fisher 1280 works very well as does a Tiger Shark with a CZ21 and Excal 1000 at the top end. You ned to visit the detector manufactures websites to learn the different types and what you need. What works well for me, might not for you.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
For underwater detector me and my buddy JuJu got the Tesoro Tigershark. First time hunting I have found a 14k gold wedding band with it. Then JuJu has found many gold rings and items with his because he has many more lakes around his area. Anyways they are great for the summer! :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawaii, so saltwater...

Since you have a lot of minerals there in the sand to bother VLF types, I would go with a premium PI detector something like the Garrett Infinium LS or Whites new Dual Field jobbie. The PI's are very deep and they love iron so you could dig deep holes for bobby pins, but with the sand covering gold rings deeply at least the PI can respond to the them.

The Excal's are nice too and ignore iron, but aren't quite as deep.

scubamike

Sep 1, 2008
Spring/The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter/Garrett GTI 2500
Many years ago I owned a diving business in the midwest and am still working in the diving industry. I was a Garrett dealer then and used the Sea Hunter. It more than paid for itself. I put it away 20 years ago and found it earlier this year. I called Garrett to see if it could be upgraded and they said no but I could buy a new one for 1/2 price. It was a deal and I love the new one. It is pulse but as you get used to it you learn to set the discrimination to eliminate a lot of trash. I think it is the best machine for underwater, in water and around water. You won't go wrong with it!

Scubamike

OP
OP
S
Jul 7, 2008
Well I just picked up a Minelab Excalibur 1000; one of the early models. Picked it up on here from Lee Wiese for $575.00

Hope it works :) (should have it Friday)

Sherman

OP
OP
S
Jul 7, 2008
Well,

I should probably post this in the Minelab Forum, but since I started here I might as well ask a few questions. I received the excalibur today...and of course I have a few questions. First, I can;t get it to give me a baseline tone (yes I charged the battery for a few hours). It seems to constantly want to "talk to me" and is giving me erratic tones even in air w/nothing underneath it. I tried setting the sensitivity to pretty much full-on and also played with the threshhold for an hour or so.

Second. I removed the coil cover and found this (see picture). There is a crack in the coil where it is seperating from itself. Now, wanting to take this thing underwater ... and I am somewhat skeptical if this is such a great idea (even if I can get it to work) with this gaping gap in the coil. I wasn't expecting a perfect and detector by any means at this price, but I was expecting a "working" detector (as I was told).

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks,

Sherman

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 232

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Not to rub salt in an open would but does the saying "you get what you pay for ring a bell?"
If you cannot maintain an even threshold then you can almost bet that you are looking at a new coil

leorob007

Greenie
Aug 2, 2005
Pulaski, TN.
Detector(s) used
Milelab Explorer XS
Garrett Infinium LS
Underwater & Gold Detector,

I love my Garrett Infinium LS.

I have the Minelab Exolorer XS Pro
and the Garrett Infinium LS.

I look for coins, civil war, and gold even underwater.

I also pan and dredge for gold.

I am retired Send me an email.

I might be willing to sell mine?

Leonard Roberts
294 Ariel Drive
Harvest, AL. 35749

[email protected]
[email protected]

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you are looking at a new coil. Patching up the cracked one with epoxy won't work as moisture and maybe black sand is inside the coil. Also you may not be able to set the threshold inside a house where there is a lot of interference.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it back where you got it and get the Sea Hunter MkII like a pro advised. Monty

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've used a 1280x aquanaut for over 20 years. unless you want to fork over a thousand dollars or more they are hard to beat. I bought my jw fishers pulse 8x used and it is a great machine but it was over $875.00 shipped. used 1280x go for around $300.00. dont buy a cheapy get a good one and learn how to use it, you won't regret it one bit.

both of my detectors paid for themselves in the first year, the key is to learn it and use it as much as possible. I am still learning new things every time I use them. the more I learn the better finds I make. you are going to love this hobby, it is the only hobby that puts cash and treasure in your pocket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread