Night Vision

GaryM5

Greenie
Sep 14, 2008
Reelfoot Lake, Tn / Pickwick Lake, Tn
Detector(s) used
white's Qxt Pro
I was looking on Kellyco's web site and seen where they sale night vision. I'm a newbie at this, but this seens odd.
I can think of maybe one reason to use night vision and that would be to illegal hunt.
I've heard stories about illegal hunters driving thru civil war battle grounds [ Vicksburg ] at night, and droping off a illegal hunter or two, and when they're thru hunting they call to be picked up.
I would turn someone in if I knew they did that, that is like grave robbing to me.

GaryM5

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
How about the detectorist that has a full time job over an hour drive away, a part time in town job, three kids who he adores and makes the time to spend with them, and a lovely wife who needs some one on one time?
Maybe the only "his-time" he gets is say 10PM-12AM. If he wants to detect on legitimate territory he may need a headlamp.
Just a theory that I can personally vouch for at least one it applies to. :wink:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
We have talked about this before here... and you might enjoy the reading - here is the link :)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,102060.0.html

I personnaly can't see dealing with the cumberson equipment while trying to read a machine, detect, dig, search, and constantly adjust the focus all to detect at night. But truthfully... they are cool gadgets and people who detect prolly lke gadgets so why not try to sell some?

Kick

Jul 21, 2008
MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The company I work for bought some night vision goggles one year when contract negotiations with the union were stalling, so that they could have people watching the company grounds for people that may be up to no good. These were the cheaper models you see advertised for a couple hundred dollars. After that mess blew over, I ended up with a pair. They were 1st generation and I can honestly say they were horrible. I couldn't get them to focus on anything very well.

My uncle was working for the local sheriff's department as the captain of the aviation unit and he loaned me the unit's night vision scope. This thing was IR and it was a blast to play with but I didn't see a practical use other than looking for bad guys at night. According to my uncle, it was very expensive, several thousand $$.

I had fun playing with both of them but of the 2 that I had in my hands, I can't see using them to metal detect at night.

OP
OP
GaryM5

GaryM5

Greenie
Sep 14, 2008
Detector(s) used
white's Qxt Pro
GaryM5 said:
I was looking on Kellyco's web site and seen where they sale night vision. I'm a newbie at this, but this seens odd.
I can think of maybe one reason to use night vision and that would be to illegal hunt.
I've heard stories about illegal hunters driving thru civil war battle grounds [ Vicksburg ] at night, and droping off a illegal hunter or two, and when they're thru hunting they call to be picked up.
I would turn someone in if I knew they did that, that is like grave robbing to me.

GaryM5

You could always fine a night job, that way you could hunt during the day.

GaryM5

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaryM5 said:

GaryM5

Why is it grave robbing? Wouldn't that lump everybody who hunts civil war sites as grave robbers in your eyes? Or are you only against it because the government tells you it is illegal?

I'm not for breaking the law, but I think it is stupid to have all of those incredible pieces of history laying in the ground to rot away and never let future generations see.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont understand why people get all OHHHHHHH night vision they are breaking the law?
There are no special restrictions or permits needed to purchase it so WHATS THE BFD :icon_scratch:
If you've got the money BUY it last i checked I/we lived in a FREE country :icon_study:
As long as you use it for all lawful purposes so what

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Who needs night vision whern I have a clip on regular LED light. It clips on my ball cap visor. And only cost about 22.00. You may be able to see me at night, But who cares, I'm legal! :tongue3: :thumbsup:......NGE

OP
OP
GaryM5

GaryM5

Greenie
Sep 14, 2008
Detector(s) used
white's Qxt Pro
I understand some people feel different about this, and I was a little harsh by using the word gravediggers.
I wasn't meaning any person buying night vision was a illegal hunter, and if I offened anyone that wasn't my intenion, I am sorry.
I have had night vision before myself.

GaryM5

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are assuming that buying night vision equipment from Kellyco implies that someone is up to no good by using them to go metal detecting at night. This is wrong to assume that.........................Rich.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Having used night vision for many reasons in the past, I must say, it HAS to be the worst way to hunt at night especially considering the cost. A good floodlight, flashlight, helmet, hat, or headlamp, almost anything must be better than night vision.

If yer robbing graves I would think a good ultaviolet lamp with night vision might be alright. :tard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread