artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After a season-long break from my hobby due to a cross-country move and all that entails, I finally got out and tried swinging this weekend (the coil, that is :o). I mentioned on one of my previous posts that a friend at work gave me permission to hunt on his property. He had heard that a stage coach road ran through it, but as yet, that is unsubstantiated. There is what appears to be a very old foundation, which looks like a rectangular chest-deep hole in the ground that is bordered on the inside with piled up flat stones. There are fully grown trees coming up through the stones.

The area is a long walk through dense woods. It is quite overgrown, so getting there is a challenge. Nevertheless, on Saturday, my husband and our newly adopted dog, Lucy (she's a black lab) got all of our stuff into backpacks, slathered ourselves with bugspray and set off. Unfortunately, we made the decision to leave the camera in the car, as we had so much to carry.

Three hours later, we were scratched up from underbrush, dripping with sweat and bitten by mosquitoes. We found dozens of square nails, a tiny iron hook and a very large, very rusted piece of iron that is either from a piece of farm equipment or possibly a broken barrel hoop. We did find a few shards of pottery, but all in all, were a bit discouraged. I am thinking that I'd like to try it again after first frost, as the mosquitoes were really begining to get to me. Also, it was difficult to swing the detector with all of the trees that we were in. There is what seems to be tons of iron buried around the foundation and in the hole as well. The area surrounding the foundation is overgrown with tall grass and weeds, so I will wait till that all dies off before attempting it again.

So, I'm asking you cellar hole hunters..do you have more luck inside the hole, or around the perimeter? What are the suggested settings to use when working in areas where there's a bunch of buried junk? As much as I like a nice hand-forged nail, I've got quite enough for the time being..I'm hoping for a copper something or other..I know there's got to be something good down there somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread