UTAH HUNTERS

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twenty years ago you could detect there, it might be pretty iffy now. I found a 1840-0 half dime in the area,really wish I could search there now, I now know the exact site of their camp ground and where the actual massacre took place. I found the half dime near their camp site twenty years ago.Since I did'nt know the massacre site, I never searched there, it is about half a mile away. Kane 23

T

tulecanyon

it was only around twenty years ago utah admitted the site existed and placed a monument overlooking the site.
the story is, that place was once a beautiful pasture, that is why the wagon train camped there. after the massacre, the place became barren.

the wagons were circled, breastworks erected after the initial attack. after the surrender, people were marched out in a column, executed after they had a decent separation between the camp and escape routes.

juanita brooks did a text on the event, her sources were diaries and word of mouth from participants family's.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read every book written on Mountain meadows. The first monument was put there by the army in 1859, a permanent one was put there in the late 1930's,close to where their wagon encampment was. The juanita Brooks book was good, but"Blood of the prophets,the mountain meadows massacre" by Will bagley is the best. The newest "The massacre at mountain meadows" by Mormon historians is a good character study of some of the participants. but since the authors are LDS they leave certain things out. take care....Kane23

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Following history,
how interesting.

Thanks all, for the comments.

Is the area know as Mountain Meadow open
or is it owned by a park service?. local land
owners?, the Mormon Church?.

have a good un................
SHERMANVILLE

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is mostly owned by the mormon church,although private land owners own a small part.Most of the money was probably taken by the zealots who perpatrated the deed.....Kane23

Duane B

Sep 24, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Fisher CZ5
I searched a small part of the site about 5 years ago and found one artifact - a .52 caliber multi-ring Sharps bullet! The bullet was probably lost by the dragoon soldiers that were investigating the site in 1859. My cousin, Kent B, owns the property and he followed me every inch of the way as I made my search patterns! Kent donated the small patch of land to the LDS church where the monument is located.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread