Porphyritic granite Biscuit discoidal

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in a state that was glaciated. Just from personal experience where I live, if found here, the rocks shown in comment #19 would be interpreted as exhibiting glacial striations. Often, when embedded in ice and being slowly dragged across bedrock, the striations will exhibit various directions, as the rocks could change position, rotate, etc. JMO, based on the kind of things I see frequently here. I have found rocks that I felt I needed to more closely examine to determine if I were looking at glacial striations or usage wear striations from use by ancient man.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with both charl and unclemac. I see a lot of glacial scarring and not actual tools marks. You admitted you are hunting on Glacial Kames so why wouldn't you consider these are just striations from the Glacier?

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because those are striations off of tools, I have a whole separate section of glacial striated stones, first off A native ground artifact will have uniform grinding across the surface, meaning the size of the grain was uniform and IMG_4035.JPG IMG_4036.JPG from the abrader that they chose was all relatively the same size like modern sandpaper. glacial striations are never uniform in size across the surface and will show chatter marks. IMG_4033.JPG glacial with chatter, totally different from what I posted. From my personal collection of glacial stone. IMG_4034.JPG chatter on surface, every striation, or grind mark is a different size. IMG_4038.JPG IMG_4037.JPG IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4040.JPG IMG_4040.JPG all glacial.

Now your saying these below were done by glaciers????? IMG_3965.JPG
IMG_3966.JPG

My point being yes I'm in glacial area, I know my stone, I know my glacial stone from a Na ground or polished piece. I've brought home and hand cleaned 50+ tons of stone this year, inspecting everyone, every surface.

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4051.JPG IMG_4050.JPG 1" x 3/4" grinding marks are a few thousandths apart

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3559.JPG this like all the pictures I've posted shows multiple grinding directions and faceted edges And sides. None of which are glacial.

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THESE ARE JUST ROCKS NONE SPECIFICALLY IDENTIFIED AS ARTIFACTS, POSTED TO PROVE AND SHOW AMOUNT OF STONE COLLECTED SORTED AND INSPECTED LOOKING FOR TOOLS.

IMG_3982.JPG IMG_3912.JPG IMG_4075.JPG IMG_4076.JPG IMG_4077.JPG no offense to anyone, but this year alone I've picked up, carried home, washed, scrubbed with brush, inspected, sorted, compared thousands of stones from my one site alone, I understand your artifact collectors but I highly doubt any of you have put the time and effort in like I have. I do know the difference between natural weathered, and native altered stone. Between glacial, river, native stones. I do not know if any of you have read this book but I highly suggest it. I am good friends with Dr. Adams, and her book and analytical technique on comparison and identification of ground stone surfaces is the industry, collecting community, and archeological standard. I live in the middle of a special area where the kame culture thrived. And also had a unique type and set of tools many were Only slightly altered cobbles and stones made for the job at hand then disposed of. Unless you want to come here and hold these yourself, inspect them with magnifiers like needed n some cases or have dedicated your collecting life, and artifact knowledge like I have to this singular period, culture and cause. Then on my end your only guessing from limited knowledge, also to add in I'm a collage educated graduate of BSU with a Master of Science in geology degree. No I'm not nor have never been state certified before the questions raised.

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I'm a collage educated graduate of BSU with a Master of Science in geology degree. No I'm not nor have never been state certified before the questions raised.

Dude, Ball State accepted me, so it can't be that good... :)

It's not the first time you've heard natural vs man made. You aren't going to convince most people, and most people won't convince you. It's a stalemate on expedient tools or natural rocks.

All I know for sure are three things: you've got some cool slate preforms, so post more of them. 1000 years from now you are going to confuse the heck out of someone trying to explain a mini moraine in what used to be your yard. And I forgot the third thing I know, but I know I know it.

(30+ years collecting a couple of counties north of you.)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
....so...all those piles of rocks in your yard are different (for lack of a single word) "grinding stones"?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was never very good at collage. I wasn't aware that BSU would educate you on the subject though.

I like this one.

Attachments

• 6fa15b94c45974ad3dd5b1c860de3a48.jpg
    6fa15b94c45974ad3dd5b1c860de3a48.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 112

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry all I am seeing are natural rocks with glacial grinding. No way your going to find that many. " we haven't put in the time and effort like you"?, many, many members here have decades of time and effort in this.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry all I am seeing are natural rocks with glacial grinding. " we haven't put in the time and effort like you"?, many, many members here each have decades of time and effort in this .

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry all I am seeing are natural rocks with glacial grinding. " we haven't put in the time and effort like you"?, many, many members here each have decades of time and effort in this .

52 years for me and I have brought home a lot of rocks, but 50 ton in one Spring is just mind boggling.

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
52 years for me and I have brought home a lot of rocks, but 50 ton in one Spring is just mind boggling.

1000# a trip on side by side. My last question, since I'm in kame culture area, wouldn't it be expected they would use glacial till as tools? Since there's no other natural hardstone around? It's just weird that people acknowledge glacial area or stone, but dismiss the possibility they would use such stone for tools?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread