Do you really think this is natural erosion? NO WAY!!!

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_20171021_205708.jpg IMG_20171021_134235183.jpg IMG_20171019_180147025_HDR.jpg IMG_20171021_153516445.jpg

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
hmmm. Welcome!

Not sure what you see in the piece.

It sure looks natural to me. Could have been formed that way and not due to erosion.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like limestone altered by several processes of erosion. The irregular shapes can be caused by both mechanical and chemical erosion.

Examples of Chemical Erosion:
1. Carbonation - When carbon dioxide is present and carried by water, carbonation weathering can occur. The carbon dioxide reacts with the water, which forms a weak acid and eats away at the affected rock.
2. Hydration - This type of weathering occurs when rocks absorb water, and the resulting hydrogen and hydrate ions form new bonds with minerals present within the rock. This type of chemical erosion can actually result in a change to a new form of rock, such as the process by which gypsum is formed.
3. Hydrolysis - This erosion takes place when minerals in the rock form a new solution, usually due to the presence of water. An example of this would be the formation of salt water when natural minerals in the rock form a salt solution once water is introduced.
4. Oxidation - Much like carbonation-which occurs in the presence of carbon dioxide-oxidation takes place when rocks react with the presence of oxygen. Oxidation also requires the presence of water, but this can even be in such small amounts as the presence of moisture in the air. Oxidation is more commonly known as rust.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Ozark, welcome, but you need to tell us more then an opening statement. When we see post's like this, we think "troll". Looks natural to me unless you can tell us why you don't think it is.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just a natural rock nothing more I know some people are new to this hobby but I would recommend doing some research get books on artifacts check out your local museum!

OP
OP
O

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a bunch of Debbie Downer ****ing rock snobs !!!!! **** you all, except for those of you who encouraged to keep the hunt up and carry on

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know guys... to me, it looks like it was meticulously carved by an indian thousands of years ago... and they did a great job too!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of Debbie Downer ****ing rock snobs !!!!! **** you all, except for those of you who encouraged to keep the hunt up and carry on
Hi Ozarks-
Why don't you try posting on the Rocks/Gems forum and see what they think? They may have information which you might appreciate knowing.
It is not that we don't appreciate Curiosity. It's more that perhaps you should follow through a bit for yourself (and we're more than happy to help you if you want us to). Studying potential artifacts requires a sharp eye and at least some knowledge of the stone or lithic being used. That is as important as the object of curiosity itself, don't you agree? So given that all the various types of stone degrade and erode differently depending on their circumstances, it is important to be able to identify the type of stone you're looking at. What sort of degradation or erosion should you expect from this stone? You might bring a sample to a local geologist. You might consider studying various known artifacts- the ones not in the best shape. And why are they not in good shape. And how do they compare to your curiosity?
If we were to all agree that you have 'something there (!)' we would be leading you down the wrong path. When you're getting into these things, looking for artifacts and such, there are always so many questions- more questions than answers for sure. But it doesn't do you or us any good to stamp your feet and call us names. That only serves to shut down the conversation.
Good luck, Ozark. Please let us know what you find out- and also let us see what you find next!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You post 4 nondescript photos with the words "Do you really think this is natural erosion? NO WAY!!!" People give you their opinions and you cuss them out on a family friendly forum because their answers aren't in line with your fantasies? Maybe you should to go crawl back under the rock that you crawled out from under?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like natural "mineral decomposition" to me. Sorry it's not what you want to hear, but I'm NOT sorry it's how I see things.

ADDED: Been away for a while. It's encouraging to see that some of the new folks are so..........how shall I say.....colorful? :wink: It always amazes me how someone can just show up at a well-established place and be so abrasive towards other people, ESPECIALLY when supposedly asking for opinions.

Last edited:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X

Just for the record: Most of us in the Ozarks are not this ignorant.

Wrock

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3872.JPG IMG_3873.JPG
I found this 4 years ago on a creek running into river in very remote location,thought I had the find of the century lol, I thought this was an ape head , but it is natural.

OP
OP
O

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry I overreacted. I found the tree mentioned in previous post got a little excited and I apologise. In my rookie mind I thought with the tree that may or may not be a thong tree regardless if it does show the signs of " the real deal" ie...scars at both bends, a nose on the pointer end and the fact that the pointer and the knot on the side were followed for respectable distances and led in separate directions to a creek and what would be considered to be a perfect ledgestone shelter and there were rocks found on property with the same natural marks at multiple locations and what appears to be one large outcropping that turned out to be made up of several circles of stones...bigger stones with cracks in between filled with smaller rocks of different types that had many natural rocks of different sizes ranging from less that one inch up to eight inches in the soil inside the natural circles ranging in depth between one and ten inches deep mostly at least resembling other native American carved rocks that looked to me and a few others to be owls,hawks, turtles and even as silly as it sounds natural shaped bears I may have become over zealous. But if you start and research the tree, followed by the natural rock circles, then the cool rocks that to some do look like animals you could see how one may get swept up in it all. my apologies and I'll send some photos some you have seen and some you have not that led to my confusion. IMG_20171021_123316371.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171008_151221699.jpg
    IMG_20171008_151221699.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 123
OP
OP
O

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry I overreacted. I found the tree mentioned in previous post got a little excited and I apologise. In my rookie mind I thought with the tree that may or may not be a thong tree regardless if it does show the signs of " the real deal" ie...scars at both bends, a nose on the pointer end and the fact that the pointer and the knot on the side were followed for respectable distances and led in separate directions to a creek and what would be considered to be a perfect ledgestone shelter and there were rocks found on property with the same natural marks at multiple locations and what appears to be one large outcropping that turned out to be made up of several circles of stones...bigger stones with cracks in between filled with smaller rocks of different types that had many natural rocks of different sizes ranging from less that one inch up to eight inches in the soil inside the natural circles ranging in depth between one and ten inches deep mostly at least resembling other native American carved rocks that looked to me and a few others to be owls,hawks, turtles and even as silly as it sounds natural shaped bears I may have become over zealous. But if you start and research the tree, followed by the natural rock circles, then the cool rocks that to some do look like animals you could see how one may get swept up in it all. my apologies and I'll send some photos some you have seen and some you have not that led to my confusion. View attachment 1508070

Attachments

• IMG_20171021_123454539.jpg
    IMG_20171021_123454539.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 126
OP
OP
O

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First pic in previous post shows pictures the tree, a couple of the outcropping from a distance after most of the debris removed, keep in mind that most of the formation was mostly or completely covered with leaves and such, the rock shows an example of the markings found around the property on multiple rocks of different types and the last one above shows what I thought to be two smaller circles under the leaves one with rock in the middle upon inspection I perceived them to be resembling animal figures the next couple photos I'll show a couple other things I thought might be carved, the first looked to my untrained eye a duck using it's beak to scratch it's wing as anyone who has watched ducks has see them do when they turn their heads around as if to be looking behind them and one that to me looks like a turtle twords the left I see an eye what would be his foot and shell also what one may think looks like an owl ,all of these were under the ground inside one of these circles IMG_20171021_134522936.jpg IMG_20171019_204816673.jpg IMG_20171021_134235183.jpg maybe you can see my confusion

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all still natural rocks. It is your imagination that is seeing the shapes just like people seeing shapes in clouds.

Just because members do not agree with what you think something is no reason to attack members or our forum. We have many members who have been collecting for over 30+ years of experience. Please do not attack members here because they do not agree with a rock you posted, we have rules against it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread