A stone head statue/ artwork? This would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm stumped on how many Americans believe in these kind of things.

Jan,

The phenomenon is so common it has a medical name: "Pareidolia". Seeing of faces in natural or man-made patterns and objects.

As we developed as a species we became social animals - and before language we relied on body language and eventually facial expressions to determine the intent of members of the group or outsiders. Consequently a large part of the human brain is devoted to analyzing faces. The offshoot is that people tend to imagine faces on inanimate objects because we are conditioned for that to be the first thing we look for. And Americans are creative and have GREAT imaginations. ;-)

ec7b85fbd429a104883e443e3bb5cf27.jpg

faucet.jpg

Last edited:

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First pic is a corundum crystal, it has the natural classic hexagonal crystal form, and I can see slight translucence. Second pic is quartz, looks to be naturally fractured, the rest appear to be sandstone, all naturally weathered. Corundum is just under hardness of diamond at a 9, if it were "carved" into a hexagonal shape it would be smooth, no pitting like in your pic, and it would stay that way for thousands of years. Any weathering would only make it smoother. Just an fyi.

OP
OP
J

Jason_Smith

Greenie
Nov 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That first one, the possible "coin", is definitely not translucent, but it's certainly a hard stone. As for the faces, well, to each their own. I still haven't found any stone face carvings in the history of the Indians being on the North American continent. The best anyone has provided was a faucet and a mountain.

Its all about location location location...and, well, the long nose face rock is 20' from the source of an artisian spring, and 200' from a creek with ancient weirs. Its on a hill and perhaps visible from 100 yards. The area around it is abundant with lead bullets and musket balls.

I excavated the face a bit and it seems to be supported by some smaller stones, but all around it is simply clay.

1109171538a.jpg
1109171519b.jpg
1109171520.jpg
Strange, my pics are being rotated wrong after I post them. The face should be with nose to the right and also looking up a bit. Actually, if you can imagine leaning one side of your face against a hill and looking toward the rising sun then bingo, that's how it appears in real life.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That first one, the possible "coin", is definitely not translucent, but it's certainly a hard stone. As for the faces, well, to each their own. I still haven't found any stone face carvings in the history of the Indians being on the North American continent. The best anyone has provided was a faucet and a mountain.

Its all about location location location...and, well, the long nose face rock is 20' from the source of an artisian spring, and 200' from a creek with ancient weirs. Its on a hill and perhaps visible from 100 yards. The area around it is abundant with lead bullets and musket balls.

I excavated the face a bit and it seems to be supported by some smaller stones, but all around it is simply clay.
Location yes, but that doesn't mean every rock found at a location is an artifact. Nothing in pictures is anything other than natural rock formed by nature.

I used to have a site in Missouri that I hunted, it was an open farm field surrounded by bluffs on 3 sides with spring fed stone bottom streams and creeks running on 2 sides, the bluffs provided windbreak, the spring fed streams and creeks provided water year round, the woods around the area provided food.

Who knows how many thousands of years it was used as camp site. I found a lot of artifacts there but I had to do a lot and I mean a lot of searching to find those artifacts and there was flint every where. The bluffs had natural flint veins, creek and streams were full of flint too. There were tens of thousands of stones to search through and none of the artifacts were easy to find..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still haven't found any stone face carvings in the history of the Indians being on the North American continent. The best anyone has provided was a faucet and a mountain.

So you're saying you've never seen any ancient faces carved on the North American continent ... yet, you are certain that yours is one?
Makes no sense.
Compared to what ?

It is hard to carve stone in an ancient manner. Takes a lot of time and dedication.

Human faces aren't particularly common, but they certainly aren't unheard of.

Please note, however, they were almost always done in the round ... ie 3 dimensional.
You do not have to "imagine" seeing one ... they are clearly a carved face.
You do not have to align them in one particular way to faintly make out a face-like feature.
You do not have to use tricky angles of camera shots or play with the shadows to make out a face-like feature.

For the time and effort it takes to carve rocks in a primitive manner, you can generally rest assured that the results would be recognizable as having human workmanship involved.

2013-04-30_12-20-39-PMBig Boy.jpg

adena-pipe-ohio-historical-society.jpg

chunkey-player.jpg

etowah indian statues_001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jason_Smith

Greenie
Nov 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If, true to your quote, "you're beginning to realize you've gone through life without knowing what anything is", then you're in good company here.
For those that think ancient Indians didn't imagine faces in their crudely carved rocks, well, we disagree.

I still can't find pictures of ancient American Indian carvings of faces in rocks (head stones) for the same reason I can't find an app that shows when the moon will have "horns" pointing up or down. I know a great deal of things I had to learn the hard way...not by being gifted secret knowledge by some nilometer type group. Anyhow, it appears the naysayer (or naysayers if actually more than one) has dutifully distracted and now I'll likely need to post this on other websites to see if anyone has comparative head stone pics from this side of the continent.

Nevermind...I found a match:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/25/ancient-conehead-like-alien-skulls-unearthed-in-mexico/

Last edited:

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If, true to your quote, "you're beginning to realize you've gone through life without knowing what anything is", then you're in good company here.
For those that think ancient Indians didn't imagine faces in their crudely carved rocks, well, we disagree.

I still can't find pictures of ancient American Indian carvings of faces in rocks (head stones) for the same reason I can't find an app that shows when the moon will have "horns" pointing up or down. I know a great deal of things I had to learn the hard way...not by being gifted secret knowledge by some nilometer type group. Anyhow, it appears the naysayer (or naysayers if actually more than one) has dutifully distracted and now I'll likely need to post this on other websites to see if anyone has comparative head stone pics from this side of the continent.

Nevermind...I found a match:

Ancient Conehead-like Skulls Unearthed in Mexico | TIME.com

I have to commend you on your legendary trolling skills. You almost got me with that article. Gave it away though, so I'd rate 7/8. Impressive and storytime worthy but they won't sing songs of your exploits.

OP
OP
J

Jason_Smith

Greenie
Nov 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Deleted)

Attachments

• 220px-Déformation_Péruvienne_MHNT_Noir.jpg
    220px-Déformation_Péruvienne_MHNT_Noir.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 1109171519.jpg
    1109171519.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • 1109171101a.jpg
    1109171101a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
These are my favorite types of threads. Go Jason go!

They scoffed at Columbus too, said the world was flat, but that didn't stop him from starting the depopulation of a hemisphere. Hang in there brother, the world will embrace YOU before this is all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread