Odd Outcrop In GA Valley and Riidge Area

Oct 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been all over most of the ridges from Ringgold GA to Summerville GA. Most of the rocks are basically the same and can be categorized into granite, slate both solid and soft and stratified rock. There are geodes in various areas. Iron ore and coal deposit exist as well. I stumbled upon a very very odd formation this past weekend. From a distance I thought is was a wall of some sort. Upon investigation this outcrop consisted of two types of formations. One was what looked to be geodes protruding from solid granite, almost like the were cemented in there. The other was very angular and square formations. The round ones when broken open looked like solid polished granite or marble almost. The square formations were the same when opened. This is really weird as this is the only place on this ridge I have found that this exists. Less than a 1/4 mile away all ridges consist of stratified slate and solid granite and is where iron ore was once mined. Also of note is this was in an area where there were three volcanoes.

I have attached pics of what I am talking about. I am seeking information on what this is, how it was formed and why this area seems to be a unique little pocket of these formations. What else might I be in the lookout for? IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1280.JPG IMG_1272.jpg IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1282.JPG IMG_1284.JPG

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know but I know in Northern Walker county there are more fossils in the rocks.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gonna hazard a wild guess, since you mention volcanoes. Looks like a long series of pyroclastic flows, probably millions of years old. The broken pieces of rock embedded in finely ground material ( ash ) will erode at different rates, thus the protruding pieces. Or not.

OP
OP
W
Oct 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found area with shell fossils close by. Could be ash but both the protruding pieces and what they were embedded in were very hard. It looks from the pics like you could just knock them off but it took quite a wack to do so.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah I saw a guy online who was somewhere in North Walker county, and he had big rocks with the plant fossils inside.

I'd like to find a few of those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions