Native American carved stone?

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
If this is erosion could someone please explain the intricacy and symmetry? I’ve shown this rock to a couple of people who both said it looked like it was carved, and possibly a representation of lightning or deer antlers. Either way, I found this rock at a site where I know they were present. I have grooved fishing weights from the same area. I believe this is some sort of rock art, if it didn’t serve a functional purpose. I am ready for the influx of “no artifact, natural rock” and “just erosion” but please consider other options here. The bottom of this stone looks like it may have an eroded look to it but the opposite side looks chipped away. Regardless both sides have a “spine” where the details seem to stem off from. If it is natural it is the most unusual product of nature I’ve probably ever seen. The rock is about a foot long and a few inches wide. Any input appreciated on this, looking for someone who knows rocks more than artifacts.. Thank you!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523806493.005438.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523806501.422155.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523806523.014991.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523806535.708262.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523806544.458958.jpg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's how the rock ended up like that. Igneous rock, massive, starts cooling into solid rock deep in the earth. Eventually, the rock cools. Later, the massive rock cracks. It looks like a road map. Later, hot liquid rock of another type fills in the cracks on the original rock and cools, "healing" the previous fractures. Fast forward a billion years. The rock makes it to the surface of the earth and a glacier or other types of erosion tears it out of its original deposit and breaks it down into cobble size. The first type of stone is softer than the stone that filled the cracks. The softer stone erodes away, leaving the ridges you see on your rock.

Rocks like this are common here in central IL and are favorites to put in yards as decorations. A farmer friend only saves the ones with ridges like yours as he says they have more character than a smooth stones. Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread