In your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clark, it's very easy to confuse natural erosion with a formed or manipulated stone. While some Indians who lived in areas where rocks are not native would sometimes trade for unique stones, streams and natural water flow over thousands of years make some interesting shapes on different types of rocks. "Fit's the hand" or "fits the thigh" are not good criteria for something being classified as an artifact. In fact, as recent as 500 years ago the North Florida and South Georgia Indians encountered by the Spanish were very small-most just a shade over 5' tall. Fitting a modern hand would seem to take this comparison completely out of the realm of possibility for gauging the usability of an artifact.
Keep looking, and keep posting!

Thats interesting here in California when the Spanish encountered Native Americans in the 1700s The Spanish diaries state the Native men here were taller and physically well built in comparison to the Spanish.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think maybe you trained your eyes too well and are missing the big picture.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am being completely arrogant, doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's like when you want someone to look at a pic of your kid on your phone and they don't really care. Kinda have to shove it in their face.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am being completely arrogant, doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's like when you want someone to look at a pic of your kid on your phone and they don't really care. Kinda have to shove it in their face.
So what would that rock be used for? Maybe you have an idea.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got me there. I would bet there is some art on that piece that Clark didn’t want to get into that would explain some of it

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just occurred to me. In order to see the art I sometimes lick my finger and run it over the rough surfaces of the stone which helps the cortex art to pop. Maybe these divots make the process more sanitary by holding a little water. When you stop chuckling you can mulll that over

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
I admit that I am most definitely a rookie with no formal education on the subject. I guess that I am just hard headed and don't like to give up.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
I took the hazing personal don't go that route it's not personal. Personally i don't like to be negative to new posters regardless of what they show but I have been a little to open minded and may have steered some posters in the wrong direction with open minded opinions. This is not the place for that. The best thing for me was to be told it was a rock because i am a competitor I used that to learn and look harder and i am so happy to be able to go out and find artifacts now and the same guys that i felt gave me the hardest time i learned the most from. Just how it is. Simply go find some killer artifacts and show them that's what we are here for. I hope to do the same.
I have found many killer artifacts. I guess I mostly post what is questionable. Here are a few that hold no questions
IMG_20180611_145526537.jpg

Last edited:

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a forked hoe for making dirt rows for gardening crops. Due to the size and presumed weight it could work very well for that. I saw an earlier post about your two notched rocks with divots and they appear to be used for abrading arrow shafts. They would be used to remove the bumps of wood making each shaft uniform in thickness and the divot would be used for rounding the end of the shaft to help with the placement of the fletching/tail feathers and that of the arrow head.

Thanks for showing these

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have to understand that as an outsider it's easy to spot your bias That no one else could be as intelligent or observant as you are

You come here, post natural eroded rocks on an artifact forum over 20 years old with hundreds of years of experienced hunters then become offended when your told they are natural rocks.

It is getting old.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a forked hoe for making dirt rows for gardening crops. Due to the size and presumed weight it could work very well for that. I saw an earlier post about your two notched rocks with divots and they appear to be used for abrading arrow shafts. They would be used to remove the bumps of wood making each shaft uniform in thickness and the divot would be used for rounding the end of the shaft to help with the placement of the fletching/tail feathers and that of the arrow head.

Thanks for showing these

Regards

LUE-Hawn

The "forks" show no sign of the type wear that would have happened to have been used like that. The dirt and rocks it was dragged through would have made a predictable pattern of scratches and wear marks.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
sell some artifacts!

I'd bet you could get by with just one book too.
So where would one go to get an honest evaluation/ authentication and value. Then who do I sell to? I have only sold one artifact and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread