Native American Tool?

AlluvialFan

Greenie
Aug 24, 2019
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_7321.JPG IMG_7322.JPG IMG_7323.JPG IMG_7324.JPG

Located many interesting pieces while searching for arrowheads in a vacant field located between an industrial park & a housing development.
It appears this was a farmed cornfield in the past, though not recently tilled. The vast majority of pieces were found along the south side of this field, which is bordered by the South Branch Rock Creek (classified a stream by USGS) in Kankakee County, IL.

Not sure if these are true artifacts, especially since they aren't near as pretty as the specimens I've seen on this site!
Perhaps my imagination is overactive....and I just spent 3 days clearing rocks out of a field for a future development site!
Attaching a couple pics of the many that I picked up, and hoping for the advice from some of the seasoned artifact hunters on this site....thanks!

OP
OP
AlluvialFan

AlluvialFan

Greenie
Aug 24, 2019
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry the photos are appearing horizontally rather than vertically; tried to edit positioning before submitting, but failed.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
AlluvialFan,

It looks like limestone with trace fossils in it. I don't see an artifact there.

Best case scenario is that it is fire cracked rock, or rocks that were in a hearth and exposed heat for a while. It might be a sign of a camp, you should find other clues like flakes of chert. (Google fire cracked rock, you'll see some examples that you can compare with your pieces.)

Usually in the Midwest chunks of limestone like that are either natural or rip-rap which are chunks of limestone used to control erosion. If it's rip-rap you should see a lot of that material along the bank of the river, around culverts and on the sides of drainage ditches.

Joshua

OP
OP
AlluvialFan

AlluvialFan

Greenie
Aug 24, 2019
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_7307.jpg IMG_7308.jpg IMG_7309.JPG IMG_7310.JPG IMG_7311.JPG IMG_7312.JPG
Thanks for this info, Joshua....just in case, thought i'd ask about these as well. So, probably "rip-rap" and not tools, like scrapers, correct?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of colors there, but as Gary said, just rocks and keep looking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread