Please tell me this is an Axe-Head

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I made a promise to myself: I wasn't going to post another thing in this sub-forum that could be written off as a "stupid-rock" (because let's face it: when it comes to my prior submissions you guys are all probably right, and I'm probably wrong)

So I went scouting today, dead-set on finding a piece that fit the bill. I spent 3 hours searching near another documented Adena mound, where I found lots of peculiar objects, for sure, but I wrote them all off as "rocks".

On the way home I decided to give it one last shot, and see if I couldn't find the suspected birdstone I discarded yesterday. No luck.

Then, I decided to take a quick gander in the creek itself, instead of just searching the bank.

Laying on a flat shelf, submerged in about 2' feet of water I found this (I think it caught my eye because it didn't have any algae growth on it, unlike every last other rock in the stream):

kt2rva4.jpg

uNfSTm8.jpg

WLsOiR0.jpg

N8mH5uP.jpg

Please tell me I actually found something?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The chips in the edge look pretty recent -- not old use damage.

FWIW

I noticed this, too. The other edges all appear to be smoother than silk?

Except for the bottom edge, the bottom edge was partially crusted with what I can only describe as some sort of cement? Literally, I had to scrape this stuff off with a sharp, sturdy knife, and it came off far from easy?

vNWJmZW.jpg

BCSauG2.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing in pictures posted says artifact that I can see, sorry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing in pictures posted says artifact.

Honestly, and I'm trying not to be a douche-bag, or an ass-hat (I'm actually a decent dude), it's definitely in the shape of a neolithic axehead, right? Can we agree on that much?

What features are missing? What features are you looking to be present such that you would sign-off and give your approval?

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It’s a river axe. Aka Leaverite...

I learned a new term today, at least...

But seriously though. What leads you to believe it's not an Axe? My one experienced artifact-buddy (who's seen all my submissions to this site, who also agrees with everyone that all I'm finding are "rocks") thinks this one actually might be legit?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like sandstone. Do you suppose that's a good material for an axe? Sure, it's shaped kind of like an axe head. Have you looked at authentic axe heads? What about yours, looks like them?

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At any rate, I felt it was time to get a local Archeologist at the Ohio History Connection involved.

I'll report back.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neolithic is usually reserved for European artifacts, when looking at potential axe heads you want to search more along the lines of paleo indian, archaic, woodland and so on.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That piece could have been picked up, hafted, and used as an expedient, unmodified tool. Maybe...maybe not. It for sure was not manufactured and reshaped by pecking into an axe shape. The material is wrong for a pecked and polished axe. Gary

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a feeling if that piece was hafted into a handle and slammed into a log it would be a one time use axe. The material doesn't look hard enough to withstand repeated blows.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't appear to be an "axe" per-se, but the thing may have been used a little as a hand axe.
Does appear that the overall thickness, wouldn't allow it to be hafted with a handle,
and used for heavier jobs.
The rock has laminations, that would slab off if really clobbered at the end.
Shape looks like, but no, it isn't.
Stream-warn edges..............

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, it looks like the wrong material for something that was going to used with a lot of force behind it. That stone would shatter quickly. Axes and Celts are generally made from hard dense stones like Granite, Slate, Hematite , etc.

I think I've shown you these before but these are some Axes, Celts, Adz, and Pestles.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    747 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    886.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On the other hand, you could probably add a handle and scutch flax with it.

An axehead it is not.

Some sort of other tool? I was given a "definitely maybe" on that one, especially given its proximity to a documented Adena mound. Although, it was clearly stated it could very well be just another rock. Really needs to be ID'd in person is what I was told

Hats off to the staff at the Ohio History Connection, amazing feedback! (I'll see if I can get permission to share a redacted version).

https://www.ohiohistory.org/learn/collections/archaeology/archaeology-staff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, it looks like the wrong material for something that was going to used with a lot of force behind it. That stone would shatter quickly. Axes and Celts are generally made from hard dense stones like Granite, Slate, Hematite , etc.

I think I've shown you these before but these are some Axes, Celts, Adz, and Pestles.

OHC Archeologist responded with pictures of similar pieces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread