stone with superficially etched intersecting striations

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0304.jpg

(not pictured, though it was practically 'blank' on the flip side)

a bit atypical as far as lines on a cobble go around here, and surely not created from such great forces responsible for the "shocked" rocks found in all shapes and colors along the stream:

DSC02589.JPG

IMG_20210208_201624.jpg

IMG_20210208_201707.jpg

I have one stored somewhere with similarly shallow "lattice" lines along one of its six faces, being rectangular in shape which i'll post when I find it

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree that the first rock, photographed next to the lighter, does not appear to be the same natural phenomenon as seen in the other rocks shown. That first rock does resemble what is seen in some deliberately incised rocks. This one was found by a TNet member in a dry stream bed in California. It may be steatite, not quite sure. But such incised rocks are common at some sites in southern Cal.

Well, I’m not sure, I’m not holding it in hand, don’t know what rock type it is, but I would have picked it up as a possible incised pebble/cobble. I don’t think it’s the same as those other, far more obvious, natural rocks. It’s not as busy as the incised rock I’m showing, but it reminded me. And incised crosshatch patterns are common in portable petroglyphs....

A068C549-B4CD-4F29-A03F-15B10F6A00D1.jpeg

E6D10DE3-1D6A-4DDA-94F9-BECCB0171151.jpeg

Crosshatch pattern, portable petroglyph, Norton, Ma.....

9AACA723-E064-4D76-9B0C-15DDADA58F0E.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't gotten around to finding that second etched rock I mentioned, though did happen upon an earlier pic of it showing the detailed facet (one other having some crosswise perpendicular lines, the rest blank):

IMG_20210209_205155.jpg

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
couldn't help but notice in the corner of my eye while going in to check something else earlier this week...as with the one in the original post, the etchings are conspicuously present on only one facet; ~½ mile downstream from said specimen:

IMG_20210227_195503.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

and for good measure..another cool-looking "shocker" that must have gotten desilted by the ice flows recently:

IMG_20210227_195945.jpg

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that the first rock, photographed next to the lighter, does not appear to be the same natural phenomenon as seen in the other rocks shown. That first rock does resemble what is seen in some deliberately incised rocks. This one was found by a TNet member in a dry stream bed in California. It may be steatite, not quite sure. But such incised rocks are common at some sites in southern Cal.

Well, I’m not sure, I’m not holding it in hand, don’t know what rock type it is, but I would have picked it up as a possible incised pebble/cobble. I don’t think it’s the same as those other, far more obvious, natural rocks. It’s not as busy as the incised rock I’m showing, but it reminded me. And incised crosshatch patterns are common in portable petroglyphs....

View attachment 1901031

View attachment 1901032

Crosshatch pattern, portable petroglyph, Norton, Ma.....

View attachment 1901033

Agree completely.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from a 15'th century village site near Clyde Ohio. It's engraved all around, both sides and edges. I can't find the photo of the opposite side right now, but it's just cross hatched. This side appears to have something depicted. We were excavating the site, and actually found it on the surface outside the excavation area. This is the same site I posted the corn cob photos from. I JOKINGLY referred to this as the dead crow effigy (or petroglyph) stone used to ward off raiding crows from their corn crop. The cross hatch it's lying on is 1cm squares.

ensign engraved.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread