magnetometer vs side scan sonar

eborac

Jan 15, 2005
North Queensland, Australia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hi all,
I am gearing up to search for a B17 bomber and an 1850's shipwreck in july. Both are supposed to be in an area of flat bottom but with coral bommies all around. I have one of those early (1990's) interphase dash board sonars which is very useful for finding channels in dirty water but so far as locating anything else is concerned I don't think much of it. What sort of $ does one look at for a small towing type magnetometer or sonar. Which of the two types would be the wiser choice. The average depth in my area is only 25 metres (80").
thanks in advance for any advice. cheers HH

DBugR

May 8, 2005
Goodlettsville, TN
I'm no expert on either, but I had extensive experience with side scan sonar while in the Navy. Of course back then (1984-1985), we didn't have the luxury of today's 3D software technology, so it required some skill to identify some items at depths greater than 30 meters. However, at the depth you're talking about, you should be able to identify just about anything you're looking for using side scan sonar. See this link for example: http://www.abc.se/~pa/mar/sidescan.htm. I've seen them list for sale on eBay occasionally. Don't know what they sold for, but for a new one, you could pay upwards of $25K. Just a thought, but you might try contacting NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration) to see if they have any used equipment sales to the public.

Hope it helps, and best of luck!
DBugR

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
howdy dbugr,
Ive had experience with side scan and mags and sounds to me that the mag would be the better option and with the computer software available these days anomaly targeting and presence of engine blocks and other ferrous materials would stand out where as you projects may be scattered among the coral without definitive shape making for long days looking at screens.
either way for professional results im sure there are companys and people available to do surveys leaving you with coordinates to inspect with out the expense of purchasing.
hope the info helps and best of luck in your ventures..........

DBugR

May 8, 2005
Goodlettsville, TN
Riobravo,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the info too! Good points you've made. It looks like you are certainly way more qualified than I to offer advice, based on your website. Guess it does make sense to use the magnetometor when you've got no idea where the item is located, especially for the B52 bomber. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in the military using fathometers and side scan sonar. That definately got my interest piqued for treasure hunting, I've just never been able to make that happen since my career took me into computer repair instead. It has got to be a rewarding job though. I would enjoy hearing about your work on any interesting searches. Thanks!

DBugR

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
thanks dbugr,
iwas happy to find this forum though geometrics site, and have enjoy the topics and will certainly post any adventurous or interesting days this season. for everyone knows this is the year ............
(it has to be because last year wasnt :D )

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I have several questions that I want to ask concerning side scan sonar and mags.
Recently I looked at some SBSonor scans that showed a crab trap and a number of other objects as well. The depth of the crab trap was 2 feet but under this crab trap was what appears to be a ship laying on its side. The ship object is about 50 feet long and the measurements ar the same size as a 1500's ship.
To me it appears to be ship laying at about 30 degrees on its side. The shape does not appear to be a natural object.
I really need some help here since I do not know a thing about SCSonar.
I can send someone a copy of the scan if you know what you are doing.
Thanks
Peg Leg

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Hi Peg Leg

I would be interested in viewing your recording.

I presently own an Imagenex side scan sonar and a few magnetometers.
I would like to take a close look at your recording and compare it with some
I have.

I would also like figures on the depth of water and the depth the probe was
at when the recording was taken. Also speed of boat towing the probe.

If the file is too big email me and I will send you my email address.

Thanks
Dinkydick

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
dinkydick,
I will send you the scan but only to your email address-to many other photos I want you to see.
Thanks
Peg Leg

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Dinkydick,
Sorry for all the trouble. I had my brother in law take a few scans over to the Space Center and they confirmed that YES the scans did show that there was something there. Now all I have to do is go back and look for whatever is there.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions