wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, it really depends on the application that you plan on using it for. You have to ask yourself, do you need a handheld or mounted, do you need a mapping or non-mapping, do you need detailed street maps, and do you need WAAS capability.
I have been using the Garmin 12XL handheld for years, and have just upgraded to the new eTrex Legend (for about $165.00), this baby does it all and is about the size of a cell phone. I stuck with Garmin primarily because the software I purchased from Garmin, and works well with both my GPS Handheld units.

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
wreckdiver

Thank you for the info. I have been looking at the e-trax GPS and it will do what all I think I'll ever need one for.I will be taking a much closer look at it now though.
I will be using it on dry land and as far away from highways as I can get.
I see all of them are water proof and thats great since Texas has become the rain state in the last year.
One with a good topo. map download would relay be good for me.I haven't look at the e-tr ax close enough to see if it has topo capability.
Can you tell me if it does ?
I was wondering around a Wal-Mart last week and came across a 110 model with the 5ml. walkie in it on clearance. For get this the 169 dollar unit was marked down to ...no lie now $49 dollars no bad typing there $49 darnedest thing I didn't have toy money with me that day and when I got back a couple of days later...well do I have to say it . They were all gone .
I'm going out MD today and I bet I bring toy buying cash with me today.

Thank you for the info and have a great day.

Red

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
RED!
A GPS isn't really a necessity when you're out in the "Boonies"!
But! A GOOD TOPO MAP DEFIANTLY, IS!
GPSs are good for finding an exact spot on the ground!
But! They have a variance that may be a hundred yards or more!
My Etrex is sometimes is over a? Hundred yards off!? :P
But!
Remember, even they, are best used in conjunction WITH a topo map(s)!
I'm afraid that like a "Heat Seeker", are NOT!
A magic bullet!

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cptbil makes a good point. Granted you may get 12 hours out of a set of AA batteries, however, thunderstorms (and as I recall the 16 some odd years in Austin ? Awesome major thunderstorms), as well as a think canopy of trees overhead, or traveling in a valley or canyon can greatly degrade the signal to your GPS. I always have a good map of the local aria and a good compass as backup.

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
I mainly used my GPS in the mts. of Colorado duering hunting season..I would take off walking with only camp marked and I'd walk 10 mls or so befor wondering which way camp might be . And found it realy came in handy when the sun would be setting and with still a few miles to go befor getting back to camp.

I know about needing a good topo also .It seems like them canyons could and did get in the way when I did'nt have a topo to go by.Darndest thing how thay were not there when I was going just when trying to get back.

Red

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
? ;)? You are never in unfamiliar country
if you have and study,? ?;)? a topographic map,
Before Hand! !
? ::)? ALSO! Remember!...? ::)
The best GPS/Computer, in the w h o l e? world..
? ::) Is sitting right! On top of your shoulders!? ::)

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
I did go to Colorado Elk hunting a few years without a GPS and never lost my way no matter how off the beaten path I would get.
I just like them as a extra precaution now.
Or if I have to call in an air strike. ::)

Red

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
Hi,
Before I buy anything electronic, I read all the reviews I can.? I had bought a Magellan Trailblazer back in 1996.? For the time, it was ok but comparatively, it is pretty lousy.? Had a hard time staying locked.? My hunting partner has a cheap $89 Garmin.? It worked quite well but didn't have mapping of course.? I wanted a mapping gps and started reading up on them.? I narrowed it down to a Garmin unit and a Magellan Meridian Color.? There were a few user reviews where the person bought both units with the intent to test them and take one back.? In all cases they took the Garmin back and kept the Magellan.? The main reason was that the Garmin lost track and the Magellan did not.? One guy put his in his back pack and went hiking in the woods for an hour.? When he looked at the track on the Garmin, it was broken up however on the Magellan it was a solid line.? One person also stated that he could get a lock anywhere in his house with the Magellan but had to be near a window for the Garmin to stay locked.? I bought the Magellan Meridian Color unit for $269 and have been happy with it.? I live in a 2 story and it will lock downstairs in the house.? I bought the topo map CD and upgraded it with an SD memory card and it all works quite well.? As for others stating that they are a hundred feet off I can't state why that is.? This unit is WAAS enabled and will get you back to your waypoint within a few feet.
Good luck,
FJ

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
boatow:
I have had just the exact opposite happen!
I first bought a Magellan , took it home ( out in the country)? and found that it didn't even work right out of the BOX!
I took it back To "Popular" (Chandler, AZ.) NO! SWEAT!? ?;D? ?they gave me a no hassle refund,? ?:D
? ;) A Great place to do business? ;D
Anyhow!!
I then bought the/a "Garmin etrex"? 8)
That was four years ago!? ;D
I haven't had one bit of trouble with it!
IE:
I have sometimes left it "on" and taken off for a different state...
Dumb Thing! ? ????? Tracks me every foot,? ;D? every turn,? ?:P? all of the way!? ?::)
? :o? Hundreds & hundreds of miles!? :o
It works the same out in the field!
Hey! As far as getting a "lock" on, in the House...
My Cell phone (cost=$300, and it also has a built in GPS!) needs to be in the open because as you know, there is "overhead" interference
As goes for GPSs!
Remember, the satellite is 25,000 miles away and you're getting? 5 WATT! signal from it!
This is fantastic in itself!
Hey! A cloud can cause interference!? :(
Much less a roof!

P

parttime_miner

Garmin ETrex Legend

This is my GPS of choice... very functional... great signal and accuracy...

No problems...

fernie

Greenie
Feb 27, 2005
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, White's TM 808, White's DFX, Tesoro Toltec 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Everyone,
What handheld GPS unit do you all recommend? Something I can use in Mexico's, Sierra Madre
(Copper canyon Country)? I've had a hard time finding a? topo for some areas of the copper canyon.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Fernie

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
fernie:
W/O a proper topo map, your GPS readings, aren't going to do you any good !
As you know, a GPS is only going to give you a series of numbers!As in, Degrees, minutes and seconds.. as, 107*15' 30" (That location is in NM)
Or!
If you are set up, a series of decimals numbers!
W/o a topo map, they are useless!
AND! If you want to find yourself, you need to buy a VERY LARGE SCALE Topo Map(S)!
A "Large Scale", 7.5 minute series,(1:24,000) is as good as you'll find
Otherwise, on a small scale topo map,.... !
1:500,00 and smaller (1:16,000,000 say!) your pencil mark will cover a mile or two!
Try contacting, "Wide World of Maps", I have purchased Mexico topo maps from them!

fernie

Greenie
Feb 27, 2005
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, White's TM 808, White's DFX, Tesoro Toltec 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank You Cptbil, that sure is a good map site.
I appreciate your help.

Fernie

Cptbil did you get that e-mail I sent you on the spanish cannon?

Orygun

Feb 21, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Technetics T2 Classic
Sounds like the GPS you saw at walmart for $49 was a rhino. I say snatch it up and ebay it! They were hard to get awhile back and I imagine you could ebay it for at least twice that. Thats a smokin deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread