I found a gold bar!!!! Marietta, GA

Tom-Cobb

Greenie
Jul 17, 2015
Marietta, GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,
I didn't find a gold bar. I just want to vent. My dad got a metal detector 15 years ago and we only went metal detecting when we went camping or to the beach. Now, I know why! Most public areas are off limits and getting a land owner to say yes is one in a million. If you find land you can legally detect on, please allow me to join you. PLEASE!
Thanks,
Tom

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right. Georgia SUCKS for metal detecting. I'm quite frustrated as MD'ing is (was) my prozac and blood pressure meds. I moved to the Atlanta area from Wisconsin to escape the horrendous winters. I must've been naive because I had stars in my eyes for Ga detecting. I knew the CW sites were off limits but I figured parks, churches, etc. Not only have I been hassled relentlessly if I -do- happen to find a spot, when I -do-, the hunting SUCKS. Might as well fish for bass in the desert. I'm not complaining about Ga. I love the geography but if I could go back to my northern hunting spots (where I was rarely if ever 'hassled') I would in a heartbeat. Haven't found squat since I moved here. Most of the hunting is middle-of-the-woods crap. Deep junk iron and trash. Occasionally the 'big shots' will find CW bullets, etc. but no silver or bits of history to be found. My last outing involved contacting the 'owner' of the city parks in Canton to ask him if it's ok. He was a nice fella but it felt so awkward. I mean, it's a public city park, right? I never had to ask before.

brock957

Sep 15, 2016
Powder Springs, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Deteknex huntmate pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just starting out. I hope I'll be able to find some spots to hunt, besides when I go to the beach. Just south of you in Powder Springs.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just starting out. I hope I'll be able to find some spots to hunt, besides when I go to the beach. Just south of you in Powder Springs.

I went to a park in PS with another Tnet member. There are plenty of places! And permission isn't that tough! You have to present yourself right....I had a neighbor tell me "no", He does not give anyone permission on his land!!!!!!! By the end of the conversation he said.."ok, but don't mention it to my wife or let her see you from our house.":laughing7: It's 20 acres and I stay way out away from the house, we look for rocks and detect on occasion. I try not to overdo my permission and keep it to a minimum.

I'm not really all that active in detecting right now, but it's not that tough to get permission. There are many places around here, lots of properties!!! There is a "yes" in there somewhere. I will admit, GA is a little different than OH in the way they view there land!! Especially compared to where I grew up. So, you want to get permission, for sure!!! Before you just wander in somewhere. At least I do.:laughing7:

I'll send you a PM, of a place I was told about, that sounds good!! I don't have the ambition or time to put into it to track it down right now...

Last edited:

brock957

Sep 15, 2016
Powder Springs, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Deteknex huntmate pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a friend from Ohio that I'm getting a metal detector for. He helps my dad some and I found a good deal on one so I'm getting it for him. He's from Springtucky. Says he's an old hill jack. I've got a couple of places in mind. My wife says she saw someone walking the side of 278 with one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread