Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well You need to check out the laws in your state...or if they are private property....
Each state is different and you might need a permit for state owned properties.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
irok said:
Just wanted to ask if anybody went deteting in these towns?
Is it allowed?
We have lots of Ghost towns in OK and was going to check some out but wasn't sure if it's ok to detect in them.

What I've found out around here is that most true ghost towns--i.e. nobody still living there and bldgs are gone have reverted back to basically farm land or pasture land and thus proper permission is needed to hunt them. Please read the following post I made a while back especially for those in Oklahoma.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,44119.0.html

There are some towns where there's just one or two families still living there-either they just don't want to move or has hopes that somedayh there'll be an increased interest in the area. In those cases, leave your detector in the car along with any formitable digging tools, break out the comb and go knock on the door. ;)

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
irok said:
Is it allowed?
We have lots of Ghost towns in OK and was going to check some out but wasn't sure if it's ok to detect in them.

What I've found out around here is that most true ghost towns--i.e. nobody still living there and bldgs are gone have reverted back to basically farm land or pasture land and thus proper permission is needed to hunt them. Please read the following post I made a while back especially for those in Oklahoma.

There are some towns where there's just one or two families still living there-either they just don't want to move or has hopes that somedayh there'll be an increased interest in the area. In those cases, leave your detector in the car along with any formitable digging tools, break out the comb and go knock on the door. ;)

Thanks for the info...I see you are in (near) Ponca City, I'm just down the road in Enid :)

thanks
Paul

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Aussie Okie said:
stoney56 said:
irok said:
Is it allowed?

Thanks for the info...I see you are in (near) Ponca City, I'm just down the road in Enid :)

thanks
Paul

Paul, there might be an interesting one in your area, I believe it used to be called Round Pond.

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
Aussie Okie said:
stoney56 said:
irok said:
Is it allowed?

thanks
Paul

Paul, there might be an interesting one in your area, I believe it used to be called Round Pond.

Hey great, do you know where it is (was?)?? :)

D

Donkey

Hey guys.. Norman OK here. There was a town on my grandparents land back in the late 1800's and it even had a post office... gone sometime around 1910. I guess you wouldnt call it a "Ghost Town", because there is nothing left. I know the general area, but I need to try to pinpoint it so I can do some MD'ing.

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donkey said:
Hey guys.. Norman OK here. There was a town on my grandparents land back in the late 1800's and it even had a post office... gone sometime around 1910. I guess you wouldnt call it a "Ghost Town", because there is nothing left. I know the general area, but I need to try to pinpoint it so I can do some MD'ing.

Hi,
Sweet..lucky you...what was the name of it?

D

Donkey

The town was called Womack (don't get any ideas)... J/K! All kidding aside, the reason I am really pumped about it is becasue it is at the end of a dead end and I grew up 20 yards from the dead end and my grandparents have lived here since the 1950's and the land has been in the family since the 30's so I know that nobody has searched for it.. much less MD'd it.

womacksat.jpg

T

TreasureTales

Why do so many threads end like this one? Where we never know what happened. This is so frustrating, I want to know the rest of the story. I'm gonna have a temper tantrum if folks don't follow-up and give us photos and stories. I'm gonna start that temper tantrum now.

BOOOO HOOOO HOOOOOO WAAAAAAH WAAAAAHH STOMPING FEET AND SCREAMING LOUDLY. OK, I'm done.

T

TheDetectorist

Donkey said:
The town was called Womack (don't get any ideas)... J/K! All kidding aside, the reason I am really pumped about it is becasue it is at the end of a dead end and I grew up 20 yards from the dead end and my grandparents have lived here since the 1950's and the land has been in the family since the 30's so I know that nobody has searched for it.. much less MD'd it.

If I do the research on it, you'll have to take me huntin there before I give up the goods! LOL

TD

T

TheDetectorist

Aussie Okie said:
Is it allowed?

To repeat what was stated earlier, yes, these ghost towns are private land. Typically farm fields, and you do have to have permission to hunt them.

About Roundpond: there's a twist to it! Roundpond is now Pondcreek, and old Pondcreek is a ghost town.

I have a plat-map for a ghost town. I have been working with the land owner for 3 years to get permission. Shame too, about 6 years ago a co-worker owned it. If only I had know about it back then.

Actually I know every ghost town in my county, but REALLY want to search this one in particular.

TD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread