Why NO Coins?

T

TheDetectorist

Born2Dtect said:
TD,

You kind of missed my point. Each detector has a speed / speeds that it works best. You can miss targets by not working at this speed. I am lucky enough to see other detecorist while detecting with my club. The guy with the wildest swing has the most points of anyone in the club and always makes good finds. I/you can,t argue with success. I think the path he swings would be better described as a flatter swing in the middle with an upswing at the ends. The detector naturally wants to swing back the other way when the end of the swing is done. Anyway it works for him.

Sites that have few coins especially no silver may have been cherry picked by an older detector. That would explain it. I have seen this before. My thoughts.

Ed D.

No, I didn't miss your point. In fact, you just restated exactly what I said. The optimum swing speed for every detector is based mainly on the number of filters it uses.

People who "arc" are using terrible form, and missing ground and targets. I've been in this game for over 18 years now. I know exactly the type of person your are refering to. I'd bet money that most of his "top finds" are coming from coin shops, flee markets, or Ebay.

Don't know the man. Could be wrong. But I've seen plenty before and that fits the discrip pretty darn well.

TD

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROTFLMOL,

No he does not have to buy any finds to show at club meetings. He contiually finds good things. He is honest, friendly and good with is detector and method. Take it or leave it, it works for him. I don,t agree with the method in theory either but I also would not make idle accusations. These are my final words on this subject.

Ed D.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Badger,

I was in the state of Nevada last spring with about 7 other detectorist hunting a ghost town called Millers. Its an abandoned town about ten miles north of Tonopah, in the middle of the dessert. We all hunted this place for about 5 hours and found only one coin. A 1898 barber dime was the only coin found. Are most of these type of places hunted out? We found a fair amount of trash like brass shell cassings, shotgun shells, a few buckels, etc. Perhaps these people who lived in these towns were dirt poor? Loosing a coin would have been a big deal?

oldsledz

Apr 7, 2007
Mid MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Tesoro
Many of the lumber jacks were farmers in the summer and worked in the woods in the winter they needed little or no money when they were in the camps and a lot of the Lumber companies only paid at the end of the season. The jacks got things from the company store and had it deducted from their pay.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Hey MB

When I was looking at my finds lately you know what I see missing??? No not Zipper pulls although I haven't found any of those in a while now. Buttons. I just cannot seem to find the things. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Baldingboy finds em but I just cannot seem to.

Keep swinging and you will find the good coins that will eventually be where you are. OR maybe someone has already detected your spots and cherry picked the coins? :icon_scratch: ???

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have wondered about this myself.
My house sits directly on an abandoned lumber camp. I find things like cable and bolts and bits and pieces of unidentifiable metal but no coins,
I go to the mining camps and ghost towns and I find coins.
Those lumberjacks didn't have money like the miners or they were more careful with it if they did.
I now avoid lumber camps and stick to ghost towns and mining camps.
Plenty of those around here.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One reason may be they had company stores at these places. Used accounts not cash money. The did not carry a lot , did not loose a lot.

A lot of elementary schools around me are going to accounting so kids don,t bring money to school. So much for school tot lots in a few years. Throw in those new solid rubber play area liners and you won,t find anything there. Thanks for spending my taxes wisely, (School districts). :dontknow: :help:

Ed D.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
In the logging and mining camps and towns the men were sometimes paid in company script. Sometimes their pay was just kept on the books. There generally wasn't anyplace for them to spend "money" other than the company store; so they ran a tab and it was deducted from their wages; many running deficits hence the phrase "I owe my soul to the company store". There wasn't a lot of money in use in some of these places; at least not like today where every kid has lots of money in their pockets. And wages were meager to begin with. We do find some coins in the ghost towns in our area; mid to late 1800's or early 1900's. Whether or not you'll find coins depends on how long the town existed, population of the town, how they were paid etc.....whether or not the town has been searched before is a big factor. Stack the odds in your favor and research places that many people lived or congregated for a long time; the more people, the greater the chances are that someone has lost something. Use a better detector that seeks deeper. My Garrett GTI 2500 gets plenty of signals at over 1 foot deep so I dig the coins that other detectors can't see. Dug a double bladed axe head today at 2 feet in soft soil. As a group we found 2 Indian Heads, 3 Wheaties, parts from a clock, axe head and other buckles and misc items and bullets from a ghost town that everyone says is "hunted out".

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a small town established as a logging community in 1895. Yesterday I found and posted my first Indian cent. Looking up info on 1906 I found the average wage was 22 cents per hour or 100 times less than a logger can make today. The buying power of 25 cents then would be like 25 dollars today. Extra care would be taken to keep from loosing it. I am convinced that if they had any money they used it to drink like they still do today. The local park is pulltab hell.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple.. Ghosts don't have pockets and therefore don't carry loose change :thumbsup:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing you answered this guys question ...he only asked it 6 years ago

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Ya want to go half and half on inventing a diamond detector.

Unfortunately someone already did. Its the pulse induction detectors. They were made for finding gold, coins, ect. So nobody's ever tried it on diamonds so they don't know it works. So don't tell anybody. It'll be our secret. Lol!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like someone said old logging camps and also coal mine towns, that includes homesteads if the family were coal miners will not have many if any coins because it was all on the books. The same applies to old homesteads, alot of times the groceries and supplies were bought on credit also. People were poor back then and didnt have money in their pockets to often. That penny that you may find would have been a days worth of food, so they were careful with it. My grandparents told me stories of them days and one story was how they walked all the way back to town to find a .50 cent peice since that was a weeks worth of food!

On a seperate note don't let what you see or hear people finding on here disway you. I think and I've seen it posted a few times about guys cheating and not really finding that stuff. Now not everyone is like that but some are. But good luck and keep swinging you'll find something good. Heck I just found my first ring at a school hordes of guys were just on this weekend and I hit it weekly. So that goes to show ya just keep at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread