Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jair
  • 3 Post By HOSSNV
  • 1 Post By Joanne
  • 1 Post By Joanne

Thread: Delamar Ghost Town in NV

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2010
    Utah
    2 times
    Prospecting

Delamar Ghost Town in NV

Has anyone spent any time in the Delamar Ghost Town in Nevada. We took a trip there last year, but only spent a half day wondering around. It's easy to get to and one of the largest old ghost towns we've ever seen. Any information or a different look at this old mining town would be great.
    Here's a Link to our trip HERE This might interest ghost town hunters?

us
    Dec 2007
    maui, hawaii
    whites GMT
    24 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    thanks for the post.

us
    Jan 2010
    Utah
    2 times
    Prospecting
    You are welcome maui. It's a really neat site, have fun.

Charter Member
    us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    11711 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    What information do you seek?
    Don..

Dry washing / metal detecting

Sep 2013
    Las Vegas
    Whites and cheep bounty hunter
    220 times
    Prospecting
    I go every year and some times twice . Check the tailing piles , very small gold but lots of it . Need at least 10 magma fine glass to see it .
    davin likes this.

us
    Mojave Desert , Great Basin , Arizoina Strip , Las Vegas Nevada

Jun 2007
    88 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delamar59.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	1120801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delamar60.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	1120802Howdy DC . I have been to Delamar many, many times . In fact it was the first " ghost " I went to after moving to Nevada in 1973 . There used to be 2 large safes behind the large ruin on the right side of main street . I once met a man with a rake in that same general area and asked him what he was up to . He told me he had found a small bottle with " Delamar " on it and sold it for $500.00 and was looking for another one ! I stopped at Kershaw - Ryan State Park to have my lunch one day and the incredible luck to meet a lady who had grown up there . She was with her two daughters who were taking her back for one last look . Her memory was sharp as a tack and she told me some fantastic stories . Here is one of those stories . The Postmistress name was Margret Sadovich she said her father used to call her Margret son of a b#*@h because if she was mad at you she would hold up your mail ! I collect covers and postcards from Nevada and have 2 last day covers from Delamar dated Feb 28 1941 the last day the post office was in operation . Personally singed by ...... Margret Sadovich . Hoss
    Last edited by HOSSNV; Feb 16, 2015 at 06:13 PM.
    Hemisteve, The Rebel and Hitndahed like this.
    These are the times that try men's souls . Tyranny , like Hell is not easly conquered . The Crisis by Thomas Paine December 23,1776

us
    May 2010
    North Idaho
    CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
    90 times
    Is it okay to camp there? Or does one not want to camp there?

us
    Mojave Desert , Great Basin , Arizoina Strip , Las Vegas Nevada

Jun 2007
    88 times
    Howdy ONB I have camped there many times . There is no water nearby so you will have to bring your own . And it has become a popular place so expect to see other people . Hoss
    These are the times that try men's souls . Tyranny , like Hell is not easly conquered . The Crisis by Thomas Paine December 23,1776

us
    May 2010
    North Idaho
    CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
    90 times
    Thanks Hoss, I really appreciate the information as I am planning all this blindly. Already planned on no water or anything else. I just wasn't sure about the weather and the local "wildlife". I may just end up making them day trips and motelling it in Caliente. lol We shall see. Either way. I'm getting things together now so I can head out this weekend.

Am still trying to find some places up north on my way down there to explore along the way but not having much luck making up my mind. I'd really like to find a few spots to get some practice on my new sdc 2300. Just not sure where to go yet. Anyone feel like giving a greenhorn some lessons in nugget hunting in the desert?

I'm leaning towards driving down through Twin Falls and Ely

Edit: I just noticed that I am hijacking another thread here. I apologize DesertCruiser
    Last edited by OldNBroken; Feb 17, 2015 at 09:33 PM.

Aug 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    141 times
    Prospecting
    I love Delamar! I've spent a lot of time there both above ground and below. I know my way through the mine about as well as anyone. We even opened a few passages that had filled with dirt, opening extensive parts of the mine.

Delamar pictures

Joanne

us
    Sep 2011
    Southwest, CT
    Spectra V3i with wireless headphones, Bounty Hunter 505, 8" & 10.25" Coils,
    1456 times
    Those are some AMAZING pictures on your website! I can't believe so much dynamite was left behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but as it gets older the nitro can leak out and can create a spark causing it to set off the stick(s).

I'm assuming that if caught going in / out of an abandoned mine comes with a pretty big fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I love Delamar! I've spent a lot of time there both above ground and below. I know my way through the mine about as well as anyone. We even opened a few passages that had filled with dirt, opening extensive parts of the mine.

Delamar pictures

Joanne
    SPECTRA V3i, BH 505, Pro-Pointer. Lesche Digger Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver 1663 1-Reale Cob.

us
    May 2011
    north idaho
    whites GMT
    194 times
    is it worth doing any metal detecting there ?

davin

Aug 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    141 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Those are some AMAZING pictures on your website! I can't believe so much dynamite was left behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but as it gets older the nitro can leak out and can create a spark causing it to set off the stick(s).

I'm assuming that if caught going in / out of an abandoned mine comes with a pretty big fine.
    Thanks! Many of the mines have dynamite sticks laying around. This dynamite is so old that it is past the unstable phase and well into deterioration. Mostly just sawdust left. Still, we don't mess with it.

I've never heard a first hand story of an explorer being ticketed/arrested for exploring abandoned mines. That said, state laws differ and privately owned mines are a different matter all together. I honor Keep Out signs and move on to the next site. There's plenty to see without getting into trouble for trespassing.

Joanne

Aug 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    141 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by davin View Post
    is it worth doing any metal detecting there ?

davin
    It would be if it's legal.

There is no signage prohibiting it. I can't find a specific reference right now, but I thought it was a state historic site and therefore detecting wasn't allowed. No doubt there are some federal laws that would prohibit historic artifacts from being collected. I will defer an answer to those with knowledge about it.

Joanne

us
    May 2011
    north idaho
    whites GMT
    194 times
    joanne, thanks for the reply about detecting. i am just trying to plan out a trip on places to go [ old mining camps and ghost towns ] to do some detecting. yes i know about private property and
    existing mining claims and i respect that. just hoping to get some ideas. i am going to nevada from idaho and i appreciate any and all advise i can get.
    thanks in advance.
    ron

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links