bilge pump "mini-dredge"

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bilge pump "mini-dredge"

Ok-without causing a p****** contest,what about a large bilge pump going into a small venturi with a 1"-1 1/4" suction hose run it off of a battery,for sniping and cleaning cracks and bed rock (not for over burden)possibly dumping it into a 5 -gal bucket or a sluice box?for smaller creeks ( to small to dredge) it would be very portable ,quiet,could even recirculate the water when scarce,and would be more productive than a hand sucker.anybody ever tried this route?

Upvote 0

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems like a pretty cool concept OV!! I have been thinking along those lines for a few years but never got around to building anything. Today I noticed on Ebay the electric submersible dredge from Australia. I see another member already mentioned it. LOL.

electric submersible dredge.jpg

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to gain suction for a dredge nozzel, the gph of a pump isnt the main factor,what you need is pressure. on this small of a nozzel, pressure can be aquired by reducing the water into the nozzel by a orfice at the nozzel. there are some really big 12voltDC pumps out there that would work,but they pull a lot of juice to run them. you would need several 12 V batterys and then how big of a solar pannel would it take to recharge/top off these batts while running??and then hiow portable would this be while snipping? a off/on switch would be manditory to save juice! good luck, i hope you get it to work!

I bought a refurbished 2k watt generator that runs very quiet and uses a gallon of gas in about 8 hours of use. It neutralizes the need for batteries. It cost 499, and is expensive, but one can spend 500 for batteries very quickly, and at some point they will need to be replaced. The generator is a Champion. New they are 600. I did some checking, and the refurb units are usually those that are bought at big box stores and returned after the buyer gets back from vacation. Mine runs very well, and I have had no trouble with it. It also has a 12v outlet.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have access to free 12v batteries that they toss here at work, that's why I'm going electric. Plus I don't need a whole lot to run a bildge

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have access to free 12v batteries that they toss here at work, that's why I'm going electric. Plus I don't need a whole lot to run a bildge

What?! What sort of battery are we talkin' here? Rechargeable? Do you share?

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
12v lead acid batteries. But they are plentiful. It's what I use to test things with that I scavenge from the scrap pile. Motors, led lights, etc

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deep cycle? Can I have one or two (depending on size)?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread