Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A highbanker can be more portable, and is easier to handle. Also can be put in a recirculating system. Also often they are cheaper.

Why not look at a combo system? ???

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A highbanker is more portable and versatile. Your not going to drag a dredge up to side of a hill to work a bench deposit. If you like the idea of both, then what Eu said is correct. A combo unit would be the way to go, and if you want to work deeper parts of the river, float it on pontoons. I have the Keene highbanker/dredge combo and it works great.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proline highbankers have a REAL dredge hookup and not playing games with stinkn' bars pluggn' up. The adjustable legs permit you to run in a couple a feet of water and the 10-15' a hose give ya plenty of room to dredge till ya drop!! A dredge outta water is exactly that---useless purt' near-Tons a au 2 u 2-John

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
I agree with Hoser John, but I am admittedly biased.
The Proline combo was built from the beginning to be both a highbanker and a dredge. It is not a retrofitted highbanker trying to be used as a dredge. The only down side in some people's opinion (not mine) is that it is not a suction nozzle dredge. The way I look at it, highbank until you have enough of a hole to dredge in without losing all your water and the problem is solved.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a used Proline highbanker / dredge combo. Does the previous post mean I can't replace original the powerjet with a suction nozzle?

Mike O.

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
You set it all up different when using the high banker redwood if you want to use the suction nozzle you have to use the high banker part not the dredge.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EZ to do--just put a short piece a hose from the unit to the powerjet IN THE WATER and viola your off and running. The reason?? you lose prime with you pj outta the water.Party on-1 piece a proline equipment or 2 keene???EZ 1-tons a au 2 u 2-John :icon_sunny:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Fly & John,

I believe I understand what both of you are saying.

The highbanker I bought has a custom crash box, about 24" long, between the powerjet and the header box. What kind of problems would I have if I removed the jet and replaced it with a proper hose from the crash box out to a suction nozzle? Not enough suction? Plug ups?

I'm trying to avoid shooting the material through a grizzly. I intend to be up on dry land, pumping water to a shallow dredgin depression.

Thank again for your help,

Mike O.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks John, I'll put it together, photograph it and post pictures within a few days. I'm
off to Medford, OR. this morning taking a friend to a doctor appointment.

We're really catching it over here on the coast (Crescent City, CA.) Raining and blowing to beat
the band. Our little Smith River was flowing right at 100,000 CFS yesterday.

Mike O.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks are getting it all-here in Redding it rains but mist,drizzle and bloody cold-lakes over 70% empty--rain gods better get it on---OR ELSE!!!Tons a au 2 u2 -John

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
The bonus of a highbanker is that you can set it up away from the creek/river say up on a high old river terrace & pipe/pump water to it & you can shovel material in to it. So great for working away from a river or creek where there isnt enough water to run a suction system. You also dont need as big a motor/pump set up to run it as a highbanker. The pics below is running on start up idle only of a 2.5 hp 2 stroke, as with dredging be it a power jet or suction nozzle you will have to crank your revs up to get the amount of water pressure needed to run a suction hose system. This could mean a bigger pump & motor.

Banjo1.jpg

Banjo.jpg

Banjoriffles.jpg

Here is the same unit running as a 2" suction nozzle set up. I made this to be very portable for small mountain streams that I can back pack into. I usualy use a 2.5 hp 2 stroke for its lightness but in these pics was running a 5 hp honda as I was able to drive to this spot & the 4 stroke runs quieter than a 2 stroke.

Arrow9.jpg

Arrow10.jpg

Essentialy a highbanker allows you to work away from the main water course by shoveling into it. When the water is available you can use it as a dredge floating on pontoons or sitting on the river bank on legs or rocks if the water isnt deep enough for floating it. It just gives you more options than having just a dredge or just a highbanker.

Happy golding

JW

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i highbank in the winter and dredge in the summer. the creek is too cold for me in the winter, so that is where the highbanker comes in

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread