prospecting in joshua tree california

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
Josh, the area immediately around JT (as we locals call it) is pretty much devoid of gold. However, about 30 miles east of Joshua Tree is the well-known Virginia Dale Mining District. Also, to the northwest of JT, a little over an hour's drive, is the Big Bear area, which contains the Holcombe Valley mining area. I have taken lots of nuggets from both areas, primarily Dale. Hope this helps; HH jim

OP
OP
J

josh97523

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2005
hi jim thanks for input. ill try them out and keep you posted thanks again jim josh 97523

TommyOMochain

Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh, the area immediately around JT (as we locals call it) is pretty much devoid of gold. However, about 30 miles east of Joshua Tree is the well-known Virginia Dale Mining District. Also, to the northwest of JT, a little over an hour's drive, is the Big Bear area, which contains the Holcombe Valley mining area. I have taken lots of nuggets from both areas, primarily Dale. Hope this helps; HH jim

Jim,

Is it legal to use a dry washer in Joshua Tree National Park?

Thanks,
--Tommy

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim,

Is it legal to use a dry washer in Joshua Tree National Park?

Thanks,
--Tommy
I'd bet it's illegal to do any digging at all. If they catch you, you may lose your equipment. National Parks are usually restricted.
Jim

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Absolutely forbidden.

Other than a couple of parks in Alaska where limited prospecting is allowed, you can't disturb or take anything from any national park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions