Panning in San Diego area?

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
We are taking the kids to Disneyland and Legoland in April and I really want to take them somewhere to pan for gold as well. (In fact they are as excited about looking for the Motherlode as Legoland.)

We don't want to drive more than an hour each way or spend more than $20 per person, the goal is to find a little gold and have a great experience.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Paul

Upvote 0

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Not 5 miles from Disneyland is Knotts Berry Farm. There is a sluice there with gold panning, they show you how. It's kind of hoki and mainly for kids but there's gold in there.Knott's has some decent roller coasters and thrill rides.Long Beach has gold on the beach but is pretty slim pickins and hard to recover, their Aquarium is great and I'm an old fogey that hated the idea of going there.
35 miles North of Disney in the East fork of the San Gabriel river is an open use area were your on your own. There's gold there and it's free for the finding. You need a permit to park on the side of the road, $5 a day $30 a year, get the permit at a sporting goods store like "Big 5" b4 going up the hill cuz the Rangers sometimes aren't around or are out of permits.
Not sure were Lego land is but believe it to be off the 15 around Pala. there is a joint called "Gems of Pala" were you can buy buckets of ore and screen it in tubs. The main thing you find is tourmaline but there are other precious/ Semiprecious gems in the area as well as gold and treasure stories.There is a gold belt around the Julian area and the Santa Ysabel Mission. The old Missions in the area are worth a visit too as is the "San Diego Wild Animal Park" that is in that vicinity.
As far as the Mother Lode it starts 120mi North of Disney area but there is gold in the Southern California area.Good luck and don't forget spending times with the kids can be a treasure too. They grow up quik and if you don't have time for them now they won't have time for you later.

OP
OP
Trescher

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
Thanks Urban Prospector!

This is the information I was looking for. I'll start putting pins in my map to see how this might fit together with our other vacation plans.

Is there anything like the Knotts sluice outside of Knotts Berry Farm, maybe something less commercialized. That is one aspect that I was hoping to get, training, supplies, etc., all inclusive. If not then we can park at the river and make our own adventure.

At 4 and 6 years old my boys are going to love this!

Cheers.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Your boys are a might young to get the full use of Knott's since alot of it has a height requirement to ride. I don't use the commercial type places so don't know of any others. There is a guy around the sandiego way that takes people on gold excursions in much the same way a fishing guide works. I'll see if I can find some info on him for ya but my guess would be he's higher then your $20 a head req.

S

stefen

Personally, I'd pan for gold at knotts Berry Farm...http://www.knotts.com/park/tour/gtown/showsatt.shtml

Its probably one of the best experiences for the boys in addition to the other events and rides in the park...

We live close by and try to have lunch or dinner at the Knott's Family Chicken House for the best fried chicken west of New York ;D

OP
OP
Trescher

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
We were not planning on going to Knotts; Disneyland (2 days) and Legoland (1 day) was about the extent of our amusement parks for the vacation.

I'm really hoping for something that we can hit on the Saturday before we leave. Nothing fancy, just a great experience with panning for gold.

Though I am taking all ideas into consideration.

Thanks!

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
fried chicken best of what california new york no way you gotta come to missouri good old fashioned fryed in a cast iron skillet and gravy made from the grease and cracklins real mashed potatoes corn on the cob sweet tea and for desert hot homade pecan pie and icecream. now that is the stuffcalifornia new york ttttttthhhhhhhhhhpppppppppppppppppp ;D

S

stefen

olepossum said:
fried chicken best of what california new york no way you gotta come to missouri good old fashioned fryed in a cast iron skillet and gravy made from the grease and cracklins real mashed potatoes corn on the cob sweet tea and for desert hot homade pecan pie and icecream. now that is the stuffcalifornia new york ttttttthhhhhhhhhhpppppppppppppppppp ;D

I ment the northern route ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also say try the San Gabriel as there is gold there to be found. Buy a pan for $10 and a small pick hammer also $10 take a small pail along and let the boy dig some dirt for you and you pan it out. You all will get into it and you just made find some gold. Good luck and happy detecting...mlayers

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Trescher,
If you're going to be at Legoland about 45 miles away is a old historical gold mining town called Julian. You might want to spend the night in a B&B ( there not to bad dollar wise ). Julian was founded in the late 1800's by southern veterans from the civil war. There are at least 2 REAL mines there, your kids would LOVE to take the tour through the mine. Here is a link on the history etc.
http://www.desertusa.com/Cities/ca/julian.html
You can just google Julian California for more info if you like....

PLL

julian.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread