Untouched Feather River Placer Claim.

jasondwatson

Mar 23, 2009
I have a potentially very rich 20 acre placer claim on the west branch of the Feather river. I was going to work it this year, but plans changed and now I am looking for experienced dredgers who want to dredge this untouched claim and pay me a percentage (30%). This claim ends at a dam that was built by minors 120 + years ago for hydrolic mining on the south end and stretches more than 1000 feet up river to the north. All my research show that this claim has never been dredged. It sits just below sawmill peak and many high producing placer mines including the Willard mine where the 54 pound nugget was found. Overburden is from 2 feet to 25 feet at the dam. Serious inquiries only! Call Jason at (530) 873-0308 or (707) 217-3148 cell.

Upvote 0

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to this there is such a thing...

Magalia Gold District

Excerpt from: Gold Districts of California, by W.B. Clark, Geologist, California Division of Mines and Geology, Sacramento, California, Bulletin 193, 1976, Page 88.

Location. The Magalia district is in north-central Butte County 15 miles northeast of Chico. It is bounded on the west by Doe Mill Ridge and on the east by the West Branch of the Feather River. It extends from Paradise on the south to several miles west of Powellton on the north. This district includes the placer deposits at Nimshaw, Forks of Butte, Mineral Slide and De Sabla and lode deposits at Toadtown. The Butte Creek dredging district adjoins this district at Centerville.

History. This region was extensively mined during and after the gold rush. The town was started in 1850 by E. B. Vinson and Charles Chamberlin. It was first known as Dogtown, renamed Magalia about 1862. The Magalia mine was discovered in 1855 and the Indian Springs mine in 1860. Large-scale mining continued until the 1890s; there was some activity from the early 1900s through the 1930s. There has been minor prospecting and development work since World War 11. Some of the old mining properties have been made into housing subdivisions. The famous 54-lb. Willard, Dogtown, or Magalia nugget was found here in 1859. This is one of the more productive placer-mining districts in the state. Several local residents have estimated the total output to be $40 million, but that figure is too high (author). Much of the output has come from drift mines.

Geology. There are a number of south-southwest-trending steep, narrow, and rich channels. The longest channel is the Magalia or Mammoth channel that flowed along the east side of the district. Other productive channels include the Dix, Emma, Little Magalia, Pershbaker, and Nugget channels. In the south portion of the district there are shore gravels. The gold was extremely coarse, and a number of other large nuggets besides the Willard were taken here. Bedrock is slate and greenstone with smaller amounts of serpentine. The channels are faulted in places with the downstream side being thrown up. Water has always been a problem in the drift mines. A few gold-quartz veins in greenstone are associated with diorite dikes.

Mines. Drift: Bader, Black Diamond, Cole, Cory, Dix, Emma $1 million+, Ethel, Genii, Indian Springs, Kelly Hill, Lucky John, Lucretia, Magalia $1 million, Mammoth, Mineral Slide, Nuggett, Oro Fino, Parry, Pershbaker, Pete Wood, Pitts, Princess, Royal, Steifer, Willard. Hydraulic: Centerville, Kohl, Red Hill. Lode: Springer, Toadtown.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: 33 years ago---that river was dredge to dredge in the late 70-mid 80's and hammered time and time again--fun playtime only-John

OP
OP
J

jasondwatson

Mar 23, 2009
John you are right about the dredging in the 70's - 80's. They really cleaned out a lot of the feather river and butte creek down to lake oroville. However, you are mistaken about this claim. It sits on the north side of a large dam built for hydrolicing and to divert water to cherokee flats. It was not possible for them to dredge it without taking out the dam. And the dam is still in use today. I'm sorry that you feel that you have to discredit something that you really know nothing about. That does not show the greatest character in my opinion. Besides, I am only looking for experienced, dedicated, hard working, professional dredgers to take this to the next level. Thanks. :icon_sunny:

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I'm familiiar with Paradise and Magalia. The Feather River as a whole is pretty steep and channelized. You might be looking at a slip meadow created by a debris dam and a hydralic monitor operation that existed farther up the canyon.

They drift-mined a lot under the lava flows in this area. You can see riverbed benches that were mined 20 to 50 feet up on both sides of HWY 70. I always thought it would be a good area to pocket mine.

I have also seen books that clearly mark the gold gravel areas in Butte County. I've seen guys take some big gold out of Rich Bar when they had the pay to pan claim there about 10 years ago.

little112406

Aug 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow this claim sounds very interesting. Do you have GPS coordinates to look at topo maps of the area?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

little112406

Aug 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently looking for a Recirculating sluice box. I would love to talk in person with you about this opportunity. Would you be willing to meet me at the claim sometime in the next few weeks?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brand new member has a "Never" dredged claim on the Feather River. I've been here a while, and NOBODY is interested in my Bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn. :dontknow: I guess I just don't get it. Still can't dredge in California, but you can dredge the East River here all you want! :occasion14:

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just to add it's north fork, middle fork, and south fork. and then the middle and south fork has their own north and south branch further up.

it's what a new map says.

and on the north fork... sure you'll find some untouched ground... 10 ft from the last miner.:tongue3::skullflag:

if anyone wants to mine on the north fork join the golden caribou mining association.

http://www.goldencaribou.com/

been there with a member excellent flood gold on a few of their claims. right of the highway.

Last edited:

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's the West Branch of the North Fork, Feather River and there are virgin untouched sections of that river.
Don't ask me how I know that.

It's also a thread from 2009, so....

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the West Branch of the North Fork, Feather River and there are virgin untouched sections of that river.

Just like a miner to bring up facts......

ratled

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry that you feel that you have to discredit something that you really know nothing about. That does not show the greatest character in my opinion. Besides, I am only looking for experienced, dedicated, hard working, professional dredgers to take this to the next level. Thanks.

Jason, I seriously doubt there is a man alive that knows more about dredging
the Feather than Hoser John.

No offense, but on this subject I'd take John's word over yours any day of
the week, and twice on Sunday.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jason, I seriously doubt there is a man alive that knows more about dredging
the Feather than Hoser John.

No offense, but on this subject I'd take John's word over yours any day of
the week, and twice on Sunday.

...yeap

virgin ground is defined as??
ground that wasn't processed?, an unexplored area? or recent flood gold?

finding anything on the north fork that hasn't at least been "sampled", or just looked at, is exceedingly doubtful.

from 2009 or not...

i don't mine on the north fork. been on it a couple times camping at caribou.
but otherwise i haven't been up that way much.

I know or have met a lot of people that do.

most of the gold that you will find is newer flood gold eroding out of the bedrock or off the banks.

so unless this is ground that's high and dry, not in the river...

or a claim someone has held on to for the last 50+ years and their honest that it hasn't been mined.

virgin... not likely.

replenished, shure.

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know where there's virgin ground in the area, and I'm not telling.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"this is untouched virgin soil"....

Todd-Hoffman-Gold-Rush-South-America.jpg

little112406

Aug 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to this there is such a thing...

Magalia Gold District

Excerpt from: Gold Districts of California, by W.B. Clark, Geologist, California Division of Mines and Geology, Sacramento, California, Bulletin 193, 1976, Page 88.

Location. The Magalia district is in north-central Butte County 15 miles northeast of Chico. It is bounded on the west by Doe Mill Ridge and on the east by the West Branch of the Feather River. It extends from Paradise on the south to several miles west of Powellton on the north. This district includes the placer deposits at Nimshaw, Forks of Butte, Mineral Slide and De Sabla and lode deposits at Toadtown. The Butte Creek dredging district adjoins this district at Centerville.

History. This region was extensively mined during and after the gold rush. The town was started in 1850 by E. B. Vinson and Charles Chamberlin. It was first known as Dogtown, renamed Magalia about 1862. The Magalia mine was discovered in 1855 and the Indian Springs mine in 1860. Large-scale mining continued until the 1890s; there was some activity from the early 1900s through the 1930s. There has been minor prospecting and development work since World War 11. Some of the old mining properties have been made into housing subdivisions. The famous 54-lb. Willard, Dogtown, or Magalia nugget was found here in 1859. This is one of the more productive placer-mining districts in the state. Several local residents have estimated the total output to be $40 million, but that figure is too high (author). Much of the output has come from drift mines.

Geology. There are a number of south-southwest-trending steep, narrow, and rich channels. The longest channel is the Magalia or Mammoth channel that flowed along the east side of the district. Other productive channels include the Dix, Emma, Little Magalia, Pershbaker, and Nugget channels. In the south portion of the district there are shore gravels. The gold was extremely coarse, and a number of other large nuggets besides the Willard were taken here. Bedrock is slate and greenstone with smaller amounts of serpentine. The channels are faulted in places with the downstream side being thrown up. Water has always been a problem in the drift mines. A few gold-quartz veins in greenstone are associated with diorite dikes.

Mines. Drift: Bader, Black Diamond, Cole, Cory, Dix, Emma $1 million+, Ethel, Genii, Indian Springs, Kelly Hill, Lucky John, Lucretia, Magalia $1 million, Mammoth, Mineral Slide, Nuggett, Oro Fino, Parry, Pershbaker, Pete Wood, Pitts, Princess, Royal, Steifer, Willard. Hydraulic: Centerville, Kohl, Red Hill. Lode: Springer, Toadtown.
I know of a stretch of the feather river that's so steep and hard to get to. I've heard stories of big takes from this area. The biggest task is getting there. No roads in. Its all hiking for a few miles.
...yeap

virgin ground is defined as??
ground that wasn't processed?, an unexplored area? or recent flood gold?

finding anything on the north fork that hasn't at least been "sampled", or just looked at, is exceedingly doubtful.

from 2009 or not...

i don't mine on the north fork. been on it a couple times camping at caribou.
but otherwise i haven't been up that way much.

I know or have met a lot of people that do.

most of the gold that you will find is newer flood gold eroding out of the bedrock or off the banks.

so unless this is ground that's high and dry, not in the river...

or a claim someone has held on to for the last 50+ years and their honest that it hasn't been mined.

virgin... not likely.

replenished, shure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread