Arkansas river

J

Just Lookin

Hopefully I am going to go to the Salida, Buena Vista, Leadville Area on vacation this coming June, I have been planning on doing this for the past 10 years and never got it done. I want to do a little prospecting, mainly panning and sluicing. My thoughts on this is to work up the Arkansas and find a place or two, but I don't want to make any mistakes, so what I am asking is, how much of that area is claimed? I do not what to get on anyones claim, just wanting to relax and enjoy the area. I am going to bring my camper, atv's, wife and son. I talked about doing this on some forum about two years ago, got a good reply from a person named "Guy", who lived in Leadville, but I don't know how to get a hold of him. Any advice, directions, ideas, ect will be appreicated. I wouldn't mind joining the GPPA, but I realy cannot afford to pay membership for three people for only a few days of playing, this might sound petty, but you can only spend what you got. Thanks in advance for any help Greg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Just Lookin

Warsawdaddy, Thanks for your help! I posted on that stite this am, I am sure they will help me out. Like i stated purely R & R, don't expect to get rich!! Just want to have fun. When i was a child many years ago i was raised on a farm, every summer after wheat harvest and the beens and corn were to tall to cultivate my folks and I would hook up the camper and go to Colorado for 2-3 weeks, "Best Time Of My Life", I will never forget those days, so I have dreamed of doing this for years, seems like something allways came up. Thanks again Greg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldDredger.com is a great spot full of folks who have claims and work that and others areas close to the Ak.Tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

OP
OP
J

Just Lookin

Thanks Hoser, I will check those folks out.
See Ya Greg

Itburnsus

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2007
Four Corners, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's Goldmaster V/sat
Last summer my partner and I joined the GPAA at a rock shop just outside of Buena Vista. We were working in Leadville installing speed limit, stop, and other signs. If I remember right, there were 2 GPAA claims in between Buena Vista and Leadville, the one closest to Buena Vista being a whopping 440 acres! It was easily accessible by car, with only a short walk to the river below required. Good place to learn to pan.
The next claim we tried was closer to Granite, Co and was 40 acres large. It was a new claim, so there were no reports on what kind of gold was found there. Since we had just started panning/sluicing ourselves, we only found a little color there. The road to this claim was rougher than the Buena site, but we still made it in an old Chevy Celebrity. I would LOVE to go back up there and M/D, and use my Keene's Hydro-Jig, but this claim is panning and sluicing only. Oh well. Good thing my buddy's dad owns a ball mill. I have enough concentrates to last the winter, and the dirt/flour gold ratio compares to Felix's paydirt, minus the nuggets. Colorado Kicks Butt!

stillstewed

Apr 3, 2007
I'M FROM COLORADO EMAIL ME AT YAHOO.COM I'LL GIVE YA MY PHONE NUMBER AND ASSIST YOU IN ANYWAY I CAN...THE ARKANSAS IS MOSTLY CLAIMED BETWEEN SALIDA AND UP...BUT SOME SPOTS CAN BE FOUND AROUND HARVARD LAKES ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread