What I did this weekend (Couple sluices)

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I had to stay home this past weekend instead of prospecting like I usually do, so I figured I would put the time to good use and make a couple new sluices and an easy classifier for my buckets.

Keep in mind I am a full time college student on a real limited budget, so I am trying to do everything as cost effective as possible. That means no miners moss, aluminum, etc (I have no equipment to work with metal). I can work with wood because my cousin is a woodworker and I can use his shop when hes not busy (which is about once a month if I am lucky).

I am obviously no woodworker, but I am getting better at making stuff each time I do it.

My first sluice I made months back is the big long one, the one that is longer then the shovel. It is inspired by the sluice here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,176317.0.html and uses a similar design except mine has some 1/4" riffles in the long inspection mat and uses a black expanded metal throughout, along with some screening down under the end riffles. It weighs 22 lbs complete with flare. It isnt too bad to cleanup, you have to take 2 screws out and then the riffles + carpet comes out. I had to use silicon to seal the joints of the wood, because this one was done by handsaws and it wasnt completely straight, heh. It is 9 inchs in width and 54 inchs long before the flare. I used a couple coats of varnish to waterproof the whole thing. The carpeting/matting under the riffles is some kinda old outdoor rug I cut up.

The first sluice I made is ok, but as you can see the riffle design could use some improvement. Plus its not very efficient for all of its length. It fills up with black sand fast in the riffles and I have to empty it alot because if I dont the heavies will wash through. The long inspection mat is great for seeing if theres gold in an area or not though.

I made the medium sized darker sluice this weekend, everything cut to length using machinery and it fits great. It has black expanded metal throughout, and hungarian type riffles as well. Its the same size throughout, at 9 inchs in width and four feet long without the flare. When I made the flare I saved the pieces I cut out and used those to make the classifier for it, which fits over the top of the flare. I made one mistake on the width of my riffles when I was cutting the wood for the riffles, but the mistake actually worked out great because the shim board I use to lock the riffles in place, makes for a super fast cleanup. No screws or anything just pull up the shim board which is wedged tightly in place and the riffles, expanded metal, and carpet come out for easy cleanup. This one weighs 14 pounds complete. It uses deck stain and varnish for extra water sealing. The riffles are 3/4" long but because they are at a 45 degree angle they end up about 1/2" in height. The cloth under the riffles is some black stuff I got at hobby lobby that has a deep groove in it.

I wanted a small backpacker sluice I could take anywhere, and not have to worry about lugging some 4 foot thing into tight spaces so I made the small sluice too this weekend. It also was machine cut and everything fits well on it. I am going to put straps on it so I can carry it over the shoulders with my pack. It is 24 inchs in length, 6 inchs in width (3.75 inches high) and uses hungarian type riffles, expanded metal, and some black grooved cloth I found at hobby lobby. I havent made a flare for it yet either. It weighs right at 2 lbs right now, if I make a flare I will keep that light also but it will probably add another pound at least. I havent decided on a flare or not yet. It cleans up super easy just like the medium sluice, just remove the riffles with a screwdriver and its ready for cleanup.

I also made the easy slip on bucket classifier this weekend. It uses 1/2" metal screening and one end of the wood is cut so you can slip the lip of it over bucket. It fits great and is super tight and doesnt move at all when you are shoveling gravel on it.

If you guys have ideas for more things I could make out of wood that would be helpful let me know. I have read all of the old sluice posts on this forum which is what inspired me to make this one. The post where the guy has a adjustable height sluice with a water gate is really neat and I might try something like that next too.

I havent had time to try the medium sized one, or the small one yet but hoepfully will get to soon, and post up some pictures. I start back college this monday so not alot of free time to work with =/.

Heres some pictures of all of this, shovel is to give you an idea of the scale:

Attachments

• all 3 + classifier.jpg
    all 3 + classifier.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 595
  • first sluice.jpg
    first sluice.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 556
  • first sluice riffles.jpg
    first sluice riffles.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 587
  • medium sluice.jpg
    medium sluice.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 559
  • medium sluice riffles.jpg
    medium sluice riffles.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 768
  • large sluice riffles with screen.jpg
    large sluice riffles with screen.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 817
  • small sluice.jpg
    small sluice.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 533
  • dark sluice classifier.jpg
    dark sluice classifier.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 616
  • bucket classifier + sluices.jpg
    bucket classifier + sluices.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, but its looks to me like your first mat(Riffles) is facing the wrong direction??

OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Oh ya I see what you mean, it does look like that but those first mats are there for two reasons, number one reason is to help speed up the water velocity entering the sluices from the flares and number two reason is to cover up the metal where the sluices attach to the flares. They aren't supposed to catch anything till the heavies hit the first mats turned sideways. They also help seal where the flare attaches to the sluice. You can see my first sluice has an uneven flare, heh. Vs the much better second one on the medium sluice.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

I just added a shoulder strap on the small backpacker that came from some old paintball equipment I had.

Attachments

• shoulder strap small sluice.jpg
    shoulder strap small sluice.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 526

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah,I see,.Does it cause friction and "clogs",there though?Try and get your hands on some of the ribbed black matt,like keene uses at the head of there sluices.That stuff works great as an inspection matt.Most of your gold will hang up on it and you can see it while operating.

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
bud that is some great work, i love the sluice classifier in fact i'm going to build one like that from aluminum for my sluice.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome sluices they will work great. i hope the only thing that slows you down is a sore back keep it up.

OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
kuger said:
Ah,I see,.Does it cause friction and "clogs",there though?

After using the medium one this past weekend, if the flow of water is to slow then ya, it will start to back up there. But as long as the angle is right and enough flow, it wasnt bad, only capturing some heavies. I had to take the black metal off the inspection mat because that was backing up but other then that it worked pretty good. I didnt get any noticeable color but got lots of black sand concentrates. I was mostly scouting this weekend though and looking for a good place to run the sluice which I didnt find yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread