A portable rock crusher.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Nice one man, I was out at a spot this Sunday where I found some interesting dirty quartz, sure could have used that then! Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Astrobouncer said:
Nice one man, I was out at a spot this Sunday where I found some interesting dirty quartz, sure could have used that then! Thanks for the info.
Yes, dirty quartz! That's what this stuff is. It came from the area of the barn search I posted. The owner was told a tertiary river bed runs under this portion of her large spread. They came out of an all-season creek bed there. I've got other projects (honey-do list) around the house so I have not finished pulverizing. If there is color, I will let you know. Tnx. TTC (update: no gold)

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good. I agree with being able to use more force to crush the material. The only thing I would try to incorporate is some rubber pipe insulation [not the foam, although that might work too] to absorb some of the shock on your hands. I guess it al depends how much crushing your planning on doing but I know after hours of driving T-posts my hands are done!
Wish I had a welder to make something like that. Every mineral ladden piece of quartz I come across, which is alot, always has me wondering what's deeper inside it.
Good hunting.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eureka77 said:
Very good. I agree with being able to use more force to crush the material. The only thing I would try to incorporate is some rubber pipe insulation [not the foam, although that might work too] to absorb some of the shock on your hands. I guess it al depends how much crushing your planning on doing but I know after hours of driving T-posts my hands are done!
Wish I had a welder to make something like that. Every mineral ladden piece of quartz I come across, which is alot, always has me wondering what's deeper inside it.
Good hunting.
Tnx for the reply,77. I will have a tee handle welded to the top of the rod to eliminate the slippage. Hours of crushing? NOT! You notice I am sitting down in the video. If I were standing, the amount of crushing would be reduced to MINUTES! Bad back. I am probably legally incapacitated by pain pills during this video. Legal, priscription pills, just enjoying the view.... and life. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the great idea :icon_thumleft:

I put one together in less than a couple hours, and I am amazed at how easily it crushes the hardest of rock into powder.

First I looked around my garage for any pipe or tubing to use. I had a 54" length of 1-1/4" black pipe and then off to Home Depot for some fittings, I bought a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" coupling with nipple and end cap to complete the ramrod. fittings cost $11.00

For the chamber I paid my local muffler shop a visit and they donated a nice piece of 3" exhaust pipe x 26" out of their scrap box.
While I was there I asked if they had any scrap 1/4" steel plate that they could weld the pipe onto for a base plate. Turns out they had a perfect size piece. Total cost for the chamber, base plate, and welding: $5.00

Here's the pic's of the finished product: Total cost $16.00 Value of utility: priceless!

oresmasher.jpg oresmasher%232.jpg

Also if you want to cut the ore crushing work in half, just drop a length of rebar into the chamber of the ramrod. Then when you hit the ore with the ramrod the rebar inside rebounds for a second impact! :o

Thanks again Terry,
GG~

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
Nice set up Terry and GG!

For you guys using hollow pipe as your ram rod you might consider melting a few lbs of old wheel weights and pouring it into your pipe to up the weight a bit for the down stroke

-Lance

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ideas, guys! Whatever works is great. Build it yourself... GREATER! TTC

Bluegrassriver

Oct 18, 2008
Kentucky near the Ohio River!
A hand operated stamp mill it is! All great ideas. One of you guys will next put together a small cog and wheel to move the piston up and down. The guys out east will use a gas motor and the guys out west will use a solar panel and electric motor. ;D

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
G' evening blue, shucks that is why we have Indian slaves here, when you can catch them. You have Terry & Goody guy, put them to work. They are getting too fat and sassy.

Don Jose de La Mancha
Ok Don Jose. Si, gordo, pero no "sassy". I was young and foolish once. Now, I'm just old and foolish, but NOT sassy. Ha ha. Good to hear from you. TTC

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Most brilliant idea ever.. And even if you had to buy all the parts, it would still probably only run about $50.. which is a lot.. but also somewhat worth it.

Also, I would take some ear plugs too, just so you don't get a headache.

What I would do to one of those is crack up my ipod with ear muffs, in some far out location far from people bothered by loud pounding, and go to town a bucket of some dirty quartzs I've laying around.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FiresEye said:
Most brilliant idea ever.. And even if you had to buy all the parts, it would still probably only run about $50.. which is a lot.. but also somewhat worth it.

Also, I would take some ear plugs too, just so you don't get a headache.

What I would do to one of those is crack up my ipod with ear muffs, in some far out location far from people bothered by loud pounding, and go to town a bucket of some dirty quartzs I've laying around.

Surprisingly mine is not all that loud, possibly because of using exhaust pipe steel it doesn't ring out as much. :dontknow:
However you could always put pipe insulation around it to muffle the sound. :icon_thumleft:

I showed it to a friend of mine and he couldn't believe how easily it turns rocks into powder.

GG~

one blanket

Nov 14, 2006
I don't remember the exact numbers but gold alloys with 24 0r 26 elements & is not visible in 6 or 8 of those combinations - - but the rock can be heavy
I suggest you all study a little more so you don't pass up a paying strike
A 1898 reprint from Lindsay Publications mention "sugar quartz" but so far I haven't found any (that rotten)

one blanket one jackass prospector

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
+1

I had been looking for this thread for a while, thinking about how I needed to review it again. Thank you TerryC GoodyGUy and all.

THese things are "Golden" :icon_sunny:

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
So I'm fairly certain the small placer gold in this one river I go to, comes from rocks off the exposed bedrock that get erroded loose. THe picture in my avatar is a sample of that ore. All sorts of crazy quartz stringing minerals with mica and some tiny tiny gold visible on the rock.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here Is what I made from some scrap plate and a steel rod.

Attachments

• Rock Crusher.jpg
    Rock Crusher.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,309

ingot

Sep 26, 2010
Made a copy of your crusher using a 3"x18" steel pipe and scrap steel rod for ram. Great idea & it works xlnt. I,ll be using it at quartzite,az this weekend. " Ingot "

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool idea! What you could do is weld you an 8-10lb sledge hammer head on the top end of the rod, that way all you have to do is pick up the rod, let go and let the 8-10lb wieght do the work, that way you wouldn't have to really use your hands to crush the rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread