Indiana Gold

hoosier hunter

Aug 20, 2005
Southern indiana
Hey Just checking to see if anyone else on here is finding any Gold in Indiana? I found my best piece ever on Friday. I found a nice hole with a crack in the bottom of the hole. I worked this spot over five hours. and got alot of nice gold and a bunch of lead shot. I dont own a dredge yet but I will have one soon. I was using one of those hand dredge suction tools it works really good but i think a dredge would do alot better. Thank's for looking and good luck gettin the Gold.
Hoosier Hunter....

Attachments

• brown county nugget.jpg
    brown county nugget.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 10,528
Upvote 0
T

tkfishing

I'am wanting to start looking for gold in IN where does someone start? I'am new to the hobby. I do a lot of metal detecting but I wanted to try my luck at gold. Thanks!!

OP
OP
hoosier hunter

hoosier hunter

Aug 20, 2005
Southern indiana
Hi, Tkfishing
You can find gold in any of the streams in northern brown co. and in morgan co. The GPAA has a chapter that meets in gatesville. And you can pan for gold in morgan monroe state forest. you need a permit that is free from the park office.good luck!! H.H.

Hoosier HUnter.....

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
hey hoosier hunter where in indiana did you find a chunck that big ? another place to look is over close to illinoise at attica ind. theres summers camp ground to stay at and the creek is about 5 miles away. i cant remember the creeks name .most of ind. gold is fine and you have a chunkier peice!

OP
OP
hoosier hunter

hoosier hunter

Aug 20, 2005
Southern indiana
Hey russau,

I can't give away my hot spot but I will say there is some nice pickers to be found in northern brown and southern morgan counties. In order to find pieces this big you have to dig down to the bedrock wether it be blue shale or true bedrock and look for cracks or a break in the bedrock and either pry open some of the loose rock or use some type of a suction tool or a dredge to get down in those cracks. That is where i usualy find the bigger stuff. I think the name of the creek in attica is called big creek. Good luck and keep us posted. H.H. Hoosier HUnter

T

tkfishing

Well I tried my hand at panning this weekend at Gatesville. I had a blast, everyone was so nice with the Indiana Chapter and very helpful. Much to my suprise there is Gold in Indiana. I found about 20 flakes while panning. I do have a question about how to find the gold. I have property that is available to me southwest of Martinsville. I stopped on my way home yesterday and took some sample pans. The creek is very narrow and in some places it is 5 to 6 feet below ground level. the water has been running through there for along time I believe. There is also some very tall hills that drop straight into the creek. Anyway I found a lot of black sand in every pan. There was even more than at Gatesville but no gold. Do you have any ideas? Thanks again!!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Attica Indiana, summers rv camp ground. ask the owner where the creek is that they are getting the gold. everyweekend theres several guys up there dredgeing and he will point the way. its about 5 miles to the creek!

tlbm9902

Greenie
Jan 6, 2006
Hey guys I live in Dyer, is there any areas close to me that is worth trying? I tried Plum creek here with no luck but i will try to get to big pine this summer too, is big pine worth going to with just a pan and small sluice box worth it?

Thanks,
Tony

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
gold on the big pine is small like all glacial drift gold. but it is there. the bigger stuff would be out in the middel of the creek.it is all through the gravels on this creek. nice place to go!

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tlbm9902 said:
Hey guys I live in Dyer, is there any areas close to me that is worth trying? I tried Plum creek here with no luck but i will try to get to big pine this summer too, is big pine worth going to with just a pan and small sluice box worth it?

Thanks,
Tony

Try along the Kankakee river, down south you can see some exposed bed rock...thats not the case here..you have to DIG, DIG, DIG ...screen your stuff way down then run it through somthing (sluice,highbanker) slow, you dont want the flour gold to sweep it self right on out. There is gold everywhere but you have to go deep to do any good.... :headbang: :headbang:

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know...im close to the river my self, 2 people digging is always better than 1...lol :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many home-built weapons in my gold recovery arsenal....lol... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

• SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,399
  • SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,807

hawk

Mar 4, 2012
terre haute indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if anyone is looking for a prospecting buddie in or around indiana let me know also willing to travel any where in the us to hunt

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
hoosier hunter said:
Hey russau,

I can't give away my hot spot but I will say there is some nice pickers to be found in northern brown and southern morgan counties. In order to find pieces this big you have to dig down to the bedrock wether it be blue shale or true bedrock and look for cracks or a break in the bedrock and either pry open some of the loose rock or use some type of a suction tool or a dredge to get down in those cracks. That is where i usualy find the bigger stuff. I think the name of the creek in attica is called big creek. Good luck and keep us posted. H.H. Hoosier HUnter
i understand about locations/hotspots! ive been to Indiana many times!

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
White River? Be careful ..

One of my buddies tried panning in the White River and almost drowned in quicksand !! A friend was there in a boat and rescued him.
I was standing in the Wabash river one day down by Covington, on a gravel outwash of a large creek, chock full of black sand.My friend warned me that was a bad spot to be standing on. He had a good point there. Be careful of panning in large sandy rivers with deeper water and a fast current.
I prefer smaller creeks with bedrock bottoms and gravel bars myself. Also, watch out for small water snakes and them Skater bugs. Leave the water snakes alone and they won't bother you.If you grab one or step on one, they will bite, and give you a bloody finger. I got bit by them water skater bugs while panning or at least that was the only critter I saw that day in my glory hole? Left 2 marks on my calf that bled.How can such a little water skater bug bite that hard? And I had just found a nice foot deep crack in a bedrock creek going from bank to bank and small gold pickers were showing up and tons of lead shot.
Another creek I can't name, the locals told us to fan the creek bottom with our hands. The flat bedrock was covered with a green slime. BUT, after fanning it, the green slime revealed wheat grain size flat gold flakes under it !!! Yes, it was a bit of a shock !!!

-Tom V.,ps, wonder where Russ P. is at these days?

bbomb

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawk, are you still looking for someone to gold hunt with in Indiana? If so call Bill 630-815-8155

OldFaithful

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2015
NW Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I hope someone on here can educate me. What are the rights to the creek/river bed? Do we the public have the right to pan/sluice in a creek such as the Big Pine Creek near Attica? Thanks a bunch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions