Was this a mine? Eastern Dawson County, GA.

AV8R

Greenie
Oct 21, 2009
Dawsonville, GA USA
Given the history of the Etowah river area in eastern Dawson county/southwestern Lumpkin county, I was curious if this was a mine of some sorts. I've driven past this many times, but finally stopped for a few pics. I can get better pictures after the leaves fall/die off.

Here's the google map of its location. http://goo.gl/maps/ixua

Here's some pictures I snapped today with the cell phone. This is right on the road where the river is mere feet from the road.

1zf2xjr.jpg
qswqy9.jpg

jj1vk6.jpg
263bx9z.jpg

120q80o.jpg

Upvote 0

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of mines in that area .does look like a stamp mill foundation.

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
Download the MRDS overlay for your state and compare it to the area.

-Lance

OP
OP
AV8R

AV8R

Greenie
Oct 21, 2009
Dawsonville, GA USA
Darshevo said:
Download the MRDS overlay for your state and compare it to the area.

-Lance

I just grabbed the overlay for Dawson County... No luck. But, I did find other mines & prospects that I never knew existed.... and a few are really close to the house. I found a few spots on the overlay that I did not know existed in Dawson Forest. Heck, I was prospecting really close to one and never knew it. :icon_scratch:

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
Our weekend family outings during the summer revolve around chasing down old mines, placer areas, cabin sites, etc. The kid loves the outdoors and my lady and I love the treasure hunting aspect of it all. I just ran across MRDS a few weeks ago and have checked out some really great places that much like yourself we've driven right past out on logging roads and never would have known were there.

Keep up the great pics! Always cool to see the mining history from other parts of the country

-Lance

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Darshevo said:
Our weekend family outings during the summer revolve around chasing down old mines, placer areas, cabin sites, etc. The kid loves the outdoors and my lady and I love the treasure hunting aspect of it all. I just ran across MRDS a few weeks ago and have checked out some really great places that much like yourself we've driven right past out on logging roads and never would have known were there.

Keep up the great pics! Always cool to see the mining history from other parts of the country

-Lance

Yeah I'm also from North Georgia, and I can say a few things about these old mines, they are all over the hills, and into them.. But a lot of them are on private property.. I'm sure you've all seen the movie " Deliverance " ( great movie)

But yeah.. There's lots of snakes out there..
But.
In this one place I go to , you can tell no one is out there, it's just miles or more of riverfront, unsearches in over 70 years... some of the most rugged, wild and dangerous territory in the southeastern U.S.A.. It is laden with poisons, snakes, pitfalls, lightnight, floods, and of course that irresistible adventure to overcome all those obstacles responsibly..

Have fun out there! I'm planning a hike into some unknown territory soon.

Stuffdogg

Jun 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up near this road and saw this many times. Never knew what it was. Did you ever confirm if it was a caved in mine or not?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions