Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A little Missouri glacial gold...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2009
    Missouri
    7 times

A little Missouri glacial gold...

Here are some of my larger pieces found pokin around the streams in West Central Missouri north of the Missouri river. I know it might be considered pickers or flakes in some states but here I would call these nuggets. The great thing about the glacial gold is it gives good practice on getting the fines so when I make it to real gold country I can have better success!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_gold_002.jpg 
Views:	1579 
Size:	412.5 KB 
ID:	45934   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1370 
ID:	484604  

us
    Feb 2009
    Southern and Central Illinois
    Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
    2 times

Re: A little Missouri glacial gold...

I am assuming this is a rare find considering the glaciers did not reach that far............ great job! HH
    Normsel likes this.
    I would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded by mystery than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it.  HH  Joe Hoo?  Southern and Central Illinois

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9930 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hoo
    I am assuming this is a rare find considering the glaciers did not reach that far............ great job! HH
    700,000 years ago, the glaciers of the second ice age reached as far south as Kansas, Missori being next door could have had glaciers The ice receded again and then crept down a third time, that time as far south as Illinois, again Missouri being bordered by Illinois it could easily have hit Missouri....
    Barndawg likes this.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Feb 2009
    Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hoo
    700,000 years ago, the glaciers of the second ice age reached as far south as Kansas, Missori being next door could have had glaciers The ice receded again and then crept down a third time, that time as far south as Illinois, again Missouri being bordered by Illinois it could easily have hit Missouri....
    EXACTLY..,. that was pretty much the conclusion i came up with... that was a great find and i am sure theres more..... thanx for the input treasure hunter... HH happy new years
    I would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded by mystery than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it.  HH  Joe Hoo?  Southern and Central Illinois

us
    Nov 2004
    Edwards,Missouri
    MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
    36 times

Quote Originally Posted by dpdkld
    Here are some of my larger pieces found pokin around the streams in West Central Missouri north of the Missouri river. I know it might be considered pickers or flakes in some states but here I would call these nuggets. The great thing about the glacial gold is it gives good practice on getting the fines so when I make it to real gold country I can have better success!!
    Shhh! http://www.showmegold.org/.Lots of gold here in MO.Everyone welcome to join our prospector organization.You have found some nice gold there.

us
    Feb 2009
    Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by warsawdaddy
    Shhh! http://www.showmegold.org/.Lots of gold here in MO.Everyone welcome to join our prospector organization.You have found some nice gold there.

Will note this... i am right up the river in centralia illinois....

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1376 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	45880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1280 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	484372  

us
    Jun 2009
    Missouri
    7 times

Actually the glaciers came down to aprrox the missouri river and at least one or two lobes made it to Topeka Kansas. In general, anything north of Missouri River in Missouri you can find evidence of glaciation. In fact in the Kansas City area the Kansas River was actually an outwash river during the glaciation. I have found that there are alot of till/morain or terminal morain material (heavily erroded) in the Kansas City area. Most streams that have some glacial rock ie metamorphic of which our state does not have (exept around the SE region) will contain at least heavies (limonite, hemitite, magnitite, garnet etc) and many with gold colors. It has taken me 3 years to have an idea what to look for. Its funny but some times the best looking stream/sediments are the worst for color. I have found several streams cutting through very tall bluffs consisting of galcial till (not loess) with many large boulders of quartzites and greenstones but very little to no color nor corse heavies, while others that don't look as good can give me a dozen or more colors and some nice flakes. Go figure I say it for the millionth time...gold is where you find it.

us
    Oct 2007
    South Carolina
    E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
    347 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by warsawdaddy
    NICE MISSOURI GOLD!!!

I couldn't get your link to work but I found the site, here is a link that will work.

http://www.showmegold.org/main.HTM

Skip
    SEEK AND YEA SHALL FIND and when you do THANK GOD!!!

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    791 times

Rons link to showmegold has to much at the end of it( .lots needs to be removed) glaciers did infact come into Missouri as stated! infact one came all the way into North St.Louis county. thas some big gold for Missouri forsure! congrats to finding it. keep your location secret or youll see lots of people there!

us
    Gold Dredger 2nd Generation

Dec 2010
    N. Cal - Born & Raised
    64 times
    Prospecting

Know nothing about this topic but common sense tells me if you are finding the gold then the glaciers were there, simple.
    and very nice gold at that, which gold isn't.

us
    Jun 2009
    Missouri
    7 times

OK I resized the picture and hope it looks better...

Views:	1343 
ID:	484603  

us
    May 2008
    deming n.m.
    Any thing Available within 50ft
    8 times

That Good Gold by what I get here in New Mexico. Larger.

We can find about that much in a bucket but it's much smaller.

How much material did you run to find that?

us
    Ken Slone

May 2010
    Gillespie, IL
    Bounty Hunter, Minelab.
    Prospecting

Yep I just started last year and found my first gold in Central Illinois.

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    42 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Hey that looks good to me I always keep my eyes open when I'm out playing in the creeks and streams around here...you just never know. Here is a neat site if you want to know what you found or what to look for in Missouri.

http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/ambe...6/dreyer/#gold

HH Charlie

us
    Jan 2011

that is some nice gold i am new to this and still trying to find a place to go to pan or use my sluice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links