Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Re: My trommel build

your rollers look like rubber, you might want to swap them for a set of sealed bearings. they'll make more noise, but will last longer. IMO

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jog, must say that looks great to me. :icon_thumleft:
I see some sprocket teeth on the drum, can you tell me how you went about doing that. I know it isn't complete what have you picked for drive motor and pump/motor?
Are you going to run an under/over sluice for further clssification?

That is terrific build. Really like that hopper. :icon_thumright:
I enjoy building stuff, too, and have fabricated and built alot of my own dredging related equipment. I'm a DIY'r all the way
Might need to go and make something like this till I can dredge again in Cal or should I say IF. A BIG IF.
Maybe something a little more on the larger side for production yardage.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK... What I did for the drive gear was found a sprocket big enough that I could cut the center out to fit the screen, then bolted it on to some brackets that are welded to the screen.
I have a Honda 5.5 with a two to one gear reduction unit. Picked it up for a $100.00. So far I have less than $300.00 into the whole project. Am looking at getting a 2" to 3" trash pump for pumping my water.
I am trying to make this unit a lot lower than most others for easy shoveling. I am going to run a sluice so that I will be able to put it on either side. My tailing's will drop out into a wheelbarrow so I can dump them and go over them with my MD, at a later date.

Attachments

• IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 5,051
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffer
The rollers are scateboard wheels. they are rubber but there real hard and they have a sealed bearing in them.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I didn't know that. they'll probably work great. good luck and let us know how it works

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very nice build jog , that should work great.

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is sweet indeed man! I sometimes daydream of making something like that with the sluices, evrything set up and running and find the paystreak!
Good job on the ingunity!

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

Jog, it looks great. Cant wait to see it all put together and getting you some Au. Thanks for sharing! :headbang:

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I'm at the fun part now, gearing up and mounting the engine. I will post more pics when I get a little further.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I forgot to show the pic of the fold up hopper. This will make it shorter for transporting and let me get to the engine which will be mounted under it.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 11,404

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

thats sweet
looking forward to building mine, will be using ABS for the trommel with a metal frame.
Did you use Stainless?

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just metal!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Harbor Freight sells 2 1/2" water pump with a 6.5 HP motor. The motor is a Chinese Honda clone. I have had one for several years and it still starts first pull. When my hookah flipped over in saltwater (my fault) I replaced the 5 HP Honda with one of Harbor Frieghts 6.5 Hp also and itstarts first pull every time. Plus the tank holds twice as much gas, for about 6 hours of run time, instead of 3 before (never more than 3/4 full for no spillage.) I think the pump sells for $165 and sometimes is on sale for much less. Plus they have coupons for a 1 time 10% off anything.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The problem with the chinese clone motors is that they have no quality control. You could get one that runs better than a real Honda or you could get one that is full of problems and completely dies within a year.

stan in colo

Greenie
Aug 23, 2003
brush co

heres a pic of my homebuilt trommel...a little smaller,but it is sure hungry for dirt...

Attachments

• trammell 1.jpg
    trammell 1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 6,029

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Jog...

Great job in building your trommel... looks good...and I hope you find lots and lots of gold....

Just a note from experience.... while there is some gold to be found in old dredge tailing's... look for the tailing's that have a lot of sand within them...most tailing's are mostly made of rock... and little sand mixed in....and you are looking for sand mixed with dirt.. not just sand... when you find, sand, dirt and rocks in a dredge tailing, you are a spot where the dredge operator over loaded the dredge and some gold was thrown out with the tailing's.....

The other things to consider, many old dredge's didn't do a good job in collecting larger nuggets...and usually an old dredge had some sort of separating system..often a trommel, not much different that your scaled down one... but the important thing is most of these older dredges used a 2 inch screen in the trommel..and often nuggets larger than 2 inches were sent out with the tailing's as well....

East of Sacramento, CA is a rather large tailing field from some dredges that stopped working there in the early 1950's... I actually held a 1 pound nugget, mixed with quarts that was thrown over board with the tailing's...and many 1 to 4 ounce nuggets have been detected there.. just be careful... lots of angry private property owners...

Also some folks detected after hours in new housing projects around these tailing's piles that were leveled to accommodate the building of small subdivisions of homes.. during the digging of the house foundations and footings, in the ditch spoils, folks have detected some nice nuggets in that area east of Sacramento...

The size of your screen in your trommel. while most likely being correct, may present a similar problem as did the original dredges of long ago...so watch what is coming off the spoils of your trommel... you may be surprised...

I wish you lots of luck.. go get the gold...!!

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Klondikeike...
Thanks for the the good info. My tailing's coming off the end of the trommel will be going directly into a wheelbarrow so I can inspect them, then I will dump them out and hit each load with my MD. I have seen pics of the houses built on the tailing's in Cal, If I lived there my yard would have a pond with a dredge in it.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting