Gold in the carpet

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a cheap glass vial that I got in Alaska with the free gold foil in it. I removed the foil and put it in my saving vial, but put the 12 colors my wife and I found in Alaska into the cheap vial (because it said Alaska on it). Don't ever do this.

Then, Kitty knocked it off the mantle, where it struck the hearth and shattered. I found two of the 12 mini nuggets on the hearth, but the rest are buried in the Berber carpet. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can reclaim my carpet gold? I've thought about using a Dust Buster and panning the dust bunnies.

Upvote 0

Gold Cube

Feb 20, 2011
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Make sure you have a clean vacuum bag and hit it with the big dog. The dust buster won't pick them up. Gold is heavy, you will need maximum suction. You may try a detector but I would think there would be too much construction metal. Good luck, hope you get them all

Mike

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
I have to admit I did something similar a couple of days ago.
Went to the San Gabriel river on a sluicing mission; found a few flakes of gold.
Got back home and wanted to weigh one of them. I tweezed a flake out of the vial and tried to remove a bit of black sand attached and the thing fell out of the tweezers, onto my leg, and from there onto the nice plush carpet.
Took me about 10 minutes to find it with one of those very bright LED flashlights.
At least something was bright :(

OP
OP
Snarkie

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Cube said:
Make sure you have a clean vacuum bag and hit it with the big dog. The dust buster won't pick them up. Gold is heavy, you will need maximum suction. You may try a detector but I would think there would be too much construction metal. Good luck, hope you get them all

Mike
Thanks Mike.

My problem is that my "Big Dog" is one of those cannister deals out in the garage.

I should have listened to the Missus, and put it all in one vial, but no- I had to be Mr. Sentimental, and keep "our gold" separate. Thank God she hasn't noticed it's missing yet. Yet...

OP
OP
Snarkie

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess what really irks me is that we got our Alaskan gold on a gold camp tour. They put 1 color in each pan they handed out. All I did was check the wash boxes for colors, and I used my fingernails to pick them clean.

Easy come, easy go...

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% perfect example of what I've always said-NO GOLD IN GLASS EVEN IN THE HOUSE AND IN THE BOONIES =INSANITY-John :tongue3:

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner, turn it on, and make a pocket of sort with a handkerchief.. Va cuum the area and without tuning the vacuum off, hold over a paper the turn it off or remove the handkerchief and your gold should be in there..

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In stead of a hankerchief use a nylon stocking. The vacuum will have better sucktion and will pick up the gold better.....Matt

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Sure fire way to extract all the gold from the carpet. Take a utility knife and cut out the section of carpet in question. Roll it up and seal in a plastic and then a cardboard tube. Go the the nearest post office and next day mail it straight to ME. :thumbsup:

Gold Cube

Feb 20, 2011
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
GrayCloud said:
Sure fire way to extract all the gold from the carpet. Take a utility knife and cut out the section of carpet in question. Roll it up and seal in a plastic and then a cardboard tube. Go the the nearest post office and next day mail it straight to ME. :thumbsup:

Now that's a good way to get a man killed! Just guessing but I think his wife would notice that for sure, just a guess. His big dog shop vac freshly cleaned out without any filter catches will be the best thing to use. Work over the carpet real good, pan out the vacuumed contents with disgust at how much dirt you actually pulled from the carpet and forgive yourself when you see the gold. I'm sure by now it has been done and you are out of the doghouse.

Mike

OP
OP
Snarkie

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judas Priest Guys... within reason-

You know what, I started to print ak=ll the answers out, asnd as you can tell by me Engliswh, fork off.

I have real stuff, and no one can take that from me. I'll lose, but she won't win, either.

Chalk this up to Fate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread